IGNORED

Sir Alex Ferguson - Statue Unveiled.

The Batman

many dislike the man, but you can't knock 26 years of service to one club. They also named the stand after him last year (that stand holds 26,000 people by itself and the roof is slightly larger than the old trafford pitch)

I was gonna post a week back as I did the Old Trafford tour of the stadium and the museum. it's very good value for money, gives you an in depth history of the club and pays a lot of attention to Munich and the Busby Babes. Went with a liverpool fan who said "it p155es all over what we do, it's so much better, it's amazing how the other half live" - and that's from a fan who supports a team who are 2nd to United trophy-wise. Everything they do there is so much bigger, better than every other team, and it's all overseen by Sir Alex. really is worth a visit if you have a free saturday in the summer.

anyway, I think it's a fitting tribute to have a statue of him along with Sir Matt who also has a statue there. It shows the fantastic legacy that he has built over all the years of managing one team (in complete contrast to Chelsea who dont allow a manager to build anything)

no doubt there will be some of you who think he's every name under the sun, and that's the joy of a forum. for the hundreds of people who read this, everyone will have their own opinion on him.

Nobody will repeat his success or his years of service to one club (very surprised if someone does). And I for one think it's thoroughly deserved..... to think he was offered the job at arsenal before joining man utd.... and did not win anything for 4 years after joining from Aberdeen in 1986.... goes to show what standing behind the manager can do. he was almost sacked in 1989.

many dislike the man, but you can't knock 26 years of service to one club. They also named the stand after him last year (that stand holds 26,000 people by itself and the roof is slightly larger than the old trafford pitch)

I was gonna post a week back as I did the Old Trafford tour of the stadium and the museum. it's very good value for money, gives you an in depth history of the club and pays a lot of attention to Munich and the Busby Babes. Went with a liverpool fan who said "it p155es all over what we do, it's so much better, it's amazing how the other half live" - and that's from a fan who supports a team who are 2nd to United trophy-wise. Everything they do there is so much bigger, better than every other team, and it's all overseen by Sir Alex. really is worth a visit if you have a free saturday in the summer.

anyway, I think it's a fitting tribute to have a statue of him along with Sir Matt who also has a statue there. It shows the fantastic legacy that he has built over all the years of managing one team (in complete contrast to Chelsea who dont allow a manager to build anything)

no doubt there will be some of you who think he's every name under the sun, and that's the joy of a forum. for the hundreds of people who read this, everyone will have their own opinion on him.

Nobody will repeat his success or his years of service to one club (very surprised if someone does). And I for one think it's thoroughly deserved..... to think he was offered the job at arsenal before joining man utd.... and did not win anything for 4 years after joining from Aberdeen in 1986.... goes to show what standing behind the manager can do. he was almost sacked in 1989.

Hmm, struggling to see how any of this will help our current predicament .

The opening poster is right that 26 year's service by his manager is a great achievment

Hmm, struggling to see how any of this will help our current predicament .

why do you think i ended the post with "goes to show what standing behind the manager can do"?

also, surprised a statue of John Atyeo was never put up at AG. i know the supporters trust were raising cash for it for the new ground? is that still on going? (forgive me, dont live in Bristol anymore)

Deserves it tbh, absolute legend and the best football manager there's even been.

Jose Mourinho will be the best when he's 70 though.

Bob Paisley for me. What a record that guy had. Ferguson great over a long period.

Paisley 20 major honours in 9 seasons

Ferguson's record outside of the league he's won whenever he's spent the most money is mediocre.

Two European cups in 26 years for the richest club in the world is actually pretty shit, he may have longevity and the assistance of numerous match officials that he's bullied and harranged, but he is obnoxious and will leave a legacy behind of disrespecting officials, any managers who are not in his little clique and pathetic vindictive spats with the likes of the BBC, etc.

Bob Paisley for me. What a record that guy had. Ferguson great over a long period.

No offense to Paisley but Shankly built the foundations of Liverpool. Paisley did a great job indeed but he did take a lot of credit off Shankly.

Still know one will beat the great Brian Clough in my opinion.

Champions with Derby & Forest. There was a manager who could make a team of nothing, take average players and make them stars.

Ferguson's record outside of the league he's won whenever he's spent the most money is mediocre.

Two European cups in 26 years for the richest club in the world is actually pretty shit, he may have longevity and the assistance of numerous match officials that he's bullied and harranged, but he is obnoxious and will leave a legacy behind of disrespecting officials, any managers who are not in his little clique and pathetic vindictive spats with the likes of the BBC, etc.

Can't recall him ever accusing a ref of racism, with no evidence though so that has to be a good thing.

No offense to Paisley but Shankly built the foundations of Liverpool. Paisley did a great job indeed but he did take a lot of credit off Shankly.

Champions with Derby & Forest. There was a manager who could make a team of nothing, take average players and make them stars.

Sorry, missed yours when I posted. Liverpool were rubbish before Shanks took over. They even finished five places behind the gas!

True, but he was building on pretty solid foundations!

Oh definitely but how many times have you seen managers take over a great team and ruin it? He had a job where he was only going to get compared to Shankley, and he had to live up to the Legend, not only di he do that, he also emulated it.

Clough would have been my choice, but he chose to stay managing too long, and I think it slightly tainted him imo.

I agree Paisley was special but Jose Mourinho when he's 70 which is another 20 years will I think have won the European Cup atleast 8 times.

He's just a genious, everywhere he goes he has success. He's also the best charasmatic manager in the game.

Premier league misses him dearly.

I agree Paisley was special but Jose Mourinho when he's 70 which is another 20 years will I think have won the European Cup atleast 8 times.

He's just a genious, everywhere he goes he has success. He's also the best charasmatic manager in the game.

Premier league misses him dearly.

Oh I agree, if he carries on like he is at the moment

Oh I agree, if he carries on like he is at the moment

Mourinho's record so far during his career:

Benfica:

Games 11 - Won 6, Drew 3, Lost 2 - 54.55% win percentage

Uniao De Leiria:

Games 20 - Won 11, Drew 5, Lost 4 - 55% win percentage

Porto:

Games 127 - Won 88, Drew 24, Lost 15 - 69% win percentage

Chelsea:

Games 185 - Won 131, Drew 36, Lost 18 - 71% win percentage

Inter:

Games 108 - Won 68, Drew 25, Lost 15 - 63% win percentage

Real Madrid:

Games 136 - Won 102, Drew 19, Lost 15 - 75% win percentage

Overall win percentage of 69% after over 580 games is just incredible. Isn't 45% supposed to be classed as a good percentage?

Oh, and this...

Between 23 February 2002 and 2 April 2011, Mourinho went 150 home league matches unbeaten: 38 (W36–D2) with Porto, 60 (W46–D14) with Chelsea, 38 (W29–D9) with Internazionale and 14 (W14–D0) with Real Madrid.

No doubt Mourinho will become possibly become the greatest manager in history. Perhaps not playing at professional level has given him many more years to look deeper into the sport and all aspects involved in the sport.

I imagine he will be back in the PL someday pretty soon. Not sure if it will be with Man U or even Man C.

No doubt Mourinho will become possibly become the greatest manager in history. Perhaps not playing at professional level has given him many more years to look deeper into the sport and all aspects involved in the sport.

I imagine he will be back in the PL someday pretty soon. Not sure if it will be with Man U or even Man C.

All the top managers weren't great footballers except Guardiola and Conte. Fergie, Wenger, Mourinho, Mancini, Klopp, Stramaccioni etc were all at best mediocre footballers.

Mourinho has said his next job will be in the premier league, I'd love to see him go back to Chelsea as that was his club. I think he will see out his contract at Real first which runs out in 2016.

All the top managers weren't great footballers except Guardiola and Conte. Fergie, Wenger, Mourinho, Mancini, Klopp, Stramaccioni etc were all at best mediocre footballers.

Mourinho has said his next job will be in the premier league, I'd love to see him go back to Chelsea as that was his club. I think he will see out his contract at Real first which runs out in 2016.

Very true, I think Trappatoni,Cappello and Del Bosque are the only three world class managers who had good careers as players, maybe you could argue Rijkard, Manci, Ancelotti

Don't forget his 'links' in Asia who 'arrange' loans of youth ManUre players to clubs run by asia backers.

BCAGFC

Archived