IGNORED

Ryan Taylor

marcofisher

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You know those skills required to play centre half? Marking, defensive positional sense, tackling, the knowledge when to press and when to back off. Those things that can't be taught over night, that take years of getting to know your position. That's the reason why your suggestion is about the daftest thing I've heard. Simply because he's a big player you think he'd be suited to centre half? You clearly have no knowledge of the position if you think Taylor could play at championship level there after a career of playing up front.

Anyway, 4 wins this season. Who started them all? You love stats when they support 'ole Brett. How about that one. We don't win without Taylor. First name on the team sheet, that's Ryan.

I think Taylor well capable of all the defensive attributes you list as required.

We all agree that he's a good footballer, so I disagree it would take years to adapt to a new position. Who knows, he may even have played there before because it's a mystery why he ended up as a striker.

I've already listed City players who made a similar unexpected switch more or less overnight, at a higher level, with ease.

I think Taylor well capable of all the defensive attributes you list as required.

We all agree that he's a good footballer, so I disagree it would take years to adapt to a new position. Who knows, he may even have played there before because it's a mystery why he ended up as a striker.

I've already listed City players who made a similar unexpected switch more or less overnight, at a higher level, with ease.

A mystery why he's ended up a striker.

Jesus wept.

The role of target man tends to be one that players grow into. A lot is about positioning and dirty tricks, stuff that takes a lot of time to learn. Kevin Davies didn't really have his best form till his late 20s for example and the same applied to Niall Quinn to name 2. He would be a perfect partner for Baldock (think Quinn and Phillips), but at the moment Davies is playing so well that he is taking precedence. It's good that we have some proper options up front and this is reflected in our still excellent goals for column.

Personally not his biggest fan. Is ok when the ball is played to him chest height but doesnt win enough headers or impose himself for me and as people have already mentioned not a goal threat. Would have Stead starting ahead of him everyday.

Happy to be proved wrong though

Taylor wins most headers in games I see.. Stead for his size wins close to nothing, ever..And how is stead more of a goal threat then Taylor? how many goals has stead scored?? Not seeing your logic there.

It is worth noting that 13 out of our 15 points and all our best football (Palace, Cardiff, second half at Peterborough, Watford and Middlesbrough) have came when Taylor is on the pitch. He almost single handedly got us back into the Hull game as well after we were outplayed in the opening stages.

Taylor has been mightily impressive so far this season and was excellent again on Saturday. His ability in the air, with his back to goal and to control almost any pass he receives makes him worth his weight in gold. He is also extremely intelligent with the passes he makes which isn't always the case with a player of his type. Over a number of years we have struggled to control possession for any length of time (although we have better in the last two games) and Taylor helps us with this massively. Sure we would all like to see him find the net more regularly and it is something he needs to improve, although he obviously never going to be prolific, but we are in the lower reaches of the Championship. It is unlikely we are going to have many finished articles in our team.

As I posted over the weekend McInnes has a massive headache with who he plays up front tonight. I, just like everyone else and no doubt the manager, would love to see Davies get the run in the team he deserves, but it cannot be ignored how much better a team we have been this season with Taylor on the pitch. For me, Taylor keeps his place in the team tonight, however difficult that is to explain to Davies!

Taylor wins most headers in games I see.. Stead for his size wins close to nothing, ever..And how is stead more of a goal threat then Taylor? how many goals has stead scored?? Not seeing your logic there.

Funny old game innit? Watched him closley vs Charlton and the 25 minutes Stead was on he won more in the air and was more of a threat than Taylor all game for me. Not suggesting Stead is great in the air either, i just think he contributes a lot more. As i said, i hope Ryan has a stormer tonight and goes on to hit 15 this season

Another stat for you Noggers, Davies last minute goal on Saturday was the only goal he's scored in a City win.

So, when Davies plays and scores we generally don't win. But when Taylor starts we do?

I guess it depends what's important to you, having a striker to cream yourself about or winning football matches.

It's no coincidence that we score more goals and concede less with Taylor on the pitch. Football is not as simple as some try an make out. Gone are the days when the striker scored all the goals. Taylor also happens to bring the best out of your precious Albert too. You'd think he'd get a bit more recognition.....

Cream myself?? Bloody hellfire, what a nerve to use such a childish phrase - ironic as well considering your frenzied fervour for non scoring Taylor.

This thread isn't about Pitman, so try to keep on subject rather than attempting to start irrelevant arguments.

Another stat for you Noggers, Davies last minute goal on Saturday was the only goal he's scored in a City win.

So, when Davies plays and scores we generally don't win. But when Taylor starts we do?

I guess it depends what's important to you, having a striker to cream yourself about or winning football matches.

It's no coincidence that we score more goals and concede less with Taylor on the pitch. Football is not as simple as some try an make out. Gone are the days when the striker scored all the goals. Taylor also happens to bring the best out of your precious Albert too. You'd think he'd get a bit more recognition.....

Why do you always resort to being such a pillock? Can't you argue and debate like an adult? He's got a different opinion to you, so have I. You're obviously an intelligent guy, so why do you always have a petty dig when people disagree with you? Grow up.

As I posted over the weekend McInnes has a massive headache with who he plays up front tonight. I, just like everyone else and no doubt the manager, would love to see Davies get the run in the team he deserves, but it cannot be ignored how much better a team we have been this season with Taylor on the pitch. For me, Taylor keeps his place in the team tonight, however difficult that is to explain to Davies!

Despite the fact that I would ordinarily much prefer to see Davies starting ahead of RT, I think for the sake of trying to build upon the fragile 'recovery' it might not be a bad thing to stick with RT. Defo want to see Davies start at the weekend though.

I appreciate his team work but I'm yet to be convinced. He provides little goal threat and and as our starting striker he needs to be contributing more than just link up play.

For someone so tall he doesn't attack the ball enough in the air. Fair enough service is normally poor.

Great on conjunction with a Baldock/ pitman type striker but one up front I'd play Davies instead.

I agree that Ryan taylor could make an excellent centre back and mentioned back in October that he should be given a couple of games in the reserves in that position if we can't get a decent centre-half. I also mentioned - half tongue in cheek - that Stead and Taylor should play at the back with Pitman, Davies and Baldock up-front. Our back four were so poor that the tongue in cheek bit was playing three strikers up front!

Chris Sutton was another striker who moved successfully between the two positions. I agree that Taylor offers a lot as centre forward and we probably don't need to experiment at the back now that we have Wilson and Fontaine /Carey are looking stronger.

Taylor doesn't need to be prolific but you want at least 10 goals a season from a lone striker given that Kilkenny, Adomah, Pearson etc haven't got a track record of chipping in with too many goals. We really have nicked a bargain in signing Davies though and it's not often we've been able to say that.

Archived