IGNORED

Standing Up And Weak Stewarding

Worthingexile

2 different points here, might get slated for both, but I'll put it all put there anyway!

I went to the game with my father who is starting to get on in years, we chose a seat near the back to get a good view as we arrived early. As the ground filled we had a large group of reds who stood for the entire game including a chap in front who was totally oblivious to the people wanting to sit behind. It meant my father had to keep moving to adjacent seats or standing up and sitting down throughout. Why oh why boys do we feel the need to stand??? The seats at Brighton are about as comfortable as they get!

Second point, on weak stewarding, kind of relates, they could have made people sit down but never fancy approaching larger groups. There was a little bit of a homophobic chanting and this was left alone, but late on one young lad near us was thrown out for singing the same song on his own. A burly steward gave him his marching orders, which I think was rather cowardly- either deal with the problem or don't, but don't pick off individuals to keep up your stats, whilst leaving the majority to do as they please. Rant over, I'll crawl back under my rock now!

2 different points here, might get slated for both, but I'll put it all put there anyway!

I went to the game with my father who is starting to get on in years, we chose a seat near the back to get a good view as we arrived early. As the ground filled we had a large group of reds who stood for the entire game including a chap in front who was totally oblivious to the people wanting to sit behind. It meant my father had to keep moving to adjacent seats or standing up and sitting down throughout. Why oh why boys do we feel the need to stand??? The seats at Brighton are about as comfortable as they get!

Why couldn't you have moved seat? Those who wish to stand go to the back and those who sit go to the front (I thought everyone knew this??), for such a small following surely this could have been avoided by yourselves by moving into spare empty seats or are you one of they who believes they own a specific seat for 90 mins cause said ticket says so???

Ofcourse we all know the common sense solution to this.

As to why one feels the need to stand... Some people like to attend football to express themselves, really get an atmosphere going.... Do you see any of these sitting down???

I thoroughly respect your choice to sit which is why I wish to see safe standing introduced, have you signed the petition?

Second point, on weak stewarding, kind of relates, they could have made people sit down but never fancy approaching larger groups. There was a little bit of a homophobic chanting and this was left alone, but late on one young lad near us was thrown out for singing the same song on his own. A burly steward gave him his marching orders, which I think was rather cowardly- either deal with the problem or don't, but don't pick off individuals to keep up your stats, whilst leaving the majority to do as they please. Rant over, I'll crawl back under my rock now!

I hate siting as football, why o why do you need to sit down?

I like to feel connected to the game, I do not feel that sat down. If you want to sit down that's fine, but everyone should have a choice.

You like to sit down, I hate it.

You could always of just moved a few rows down to where there was no standing.

You have my sympathy. We all have elderly relatives who cannot stand for games.

Reason number 273 for the formal reintroduction of standing. Basically, clubs should offer fans two types of tickets; standing and seating.

Problem solved!

The whole end wasn't standing though! The end wasn't sold out.

Mountain out of a molehill moaning about a few lads standing

if your old man could walk to the top of the stand, he could walk back down a few rows to sit in front of the people who wanted to stand up. nothing more, nothing less.

Good point, but if i was watching an opera for instance, and payed good money for that seat, i wouldnt want del boy in front of me,

thats why they call them "seats", if you pay top dollar for yer arse , to relax and enjoy the show and some twunt wants to stand and block yer view and ruin your entertainment, give him or her a polite word in the earole, if that fails, beat the crap out of them, always works for me, but then if i had an elderly relative i would just mention it to the people who's job it is to make sure we have zero grief......then whack the twunt !

Good point, but if i was watching an opera for instance, and payed good money for that seat, i wouldnt want del boy in front of me,

thats why they call them "seats", if you pay top dollar for yer arse , to relax and enjoy the show and some twunt wants to stand and block yer view and ruin your entertainment, give him or her a polite word in the earole, if that fails, beat the crap out of them, always works for me, but then if i had an elderly relative i would just mention it to the people who's job it is to make sure we have zero grief......then whack the twunt !

completely agree with that, the unfortunate thing is there's little difference between watching live football and the opra now. we're all middle class winkers.

Why feel so connected to what is printed on a ticket? When there are plenty of other spare seats etc, I cannot beleive that what more than 4 rows were standing and we took 500 max?

Second point, on weak stewarding, kind of relates, they could have made people sit down but never fancy approaching larger groups. There was a little bit of a homophobic chanting and this was left alone, but late on one young lad near us was thrown out for singing the same song on his own. A burly steward gave him his marching orders,

Probably gave him something else as well outside , dirty buggers.

There was alot of homophobic chanting last year at Brighton. Much worse than the other night! I thought the stewards there were awful, they didn't know what to do, didn't help that we brought 1500 there last year though. They were completely helpless and were chucking out lads on their own who wouldn't put up a fight.

Sorry OP but your standing argument won't wash when you had the whole stand to choose from.

I'm one of those who hates sitting at football, but I understand if you have older people with you you'd appreciate the option, which you had.

As for stewards, the Brighton bunch are pretty militant when I was there last season. To be expected

Sorry OP but your standing argument won't wash when you had the whole stand to choose from.

I'm one of those who hates sitting at football, but I understand if you have older people with you you'd appreciate the option, which you had.

As for stewards, the Brighton bunch are pretty militant when I was there last season. To be expected

• SC&T Board Members

Standers will always go to the back of the stand, go towards the front and it won't be an issue

Not always possible if stewards insist on fans occupying their designated seat and/or the away allocation is sold out. The obvious solution for all concerned is choice! Seats for those who want to sit and a designated, purpose built safe standing area for those who want to stand. Then everyone's happy - including the stewards!

But it won't happen unless the government at the very least agrees to a few small-scale trials being done, which is what Early Day Motion 573 asks them to do. An EDM is like an MPs' petition and we need as many MPs as possible to sign it. So if you want choice - seats for the sitters and standing for the standers - please use the link below to e-mail your MP now:

Some interesting points fellas thanks. Tbh it didn't really bother me personally, I'm happy to stand or sit, and not normally attached to a seat I book. But on this occasion we specifically chose a seat near the back as last year we were near the front and didn't think a great deal of the view.

Having selected and paid for a 'seat' with a better view, and arriving earlier to be sure, it was disappointing to find this interrupted.

Yes we could have moved. But the obvious response to that is why should we? I'm not sure comments such as 'selfish' really help, am I? Really?

I have been part of vocal standing crowds in seated areas before and when stood in front of an elderly fan spoiling their view I have done the honourable thing and sat. I could never envisage myself saying 'selfish' or 'move to the front'.

I guess that the conclusion is we need safe standing. But that remains out of our hands!

Some interesting points fellas thanks. Tbh it didn't really bother me personally, I'm happy to stand or sit, and not normally attached to a seat I book. But on this occasion we specifically chose a seat near the back as last year we were near the front and didn't think a great deal of the view.

Having selected and paid for a 'seat' with a better view, and arriving earlier to be sure, it was disappointing to find this interrupted.

Yes we could have moved. But the obvious response to that is why should we? I'm not sure comments such as 'selfish' really help, am I? Really?

I have been part of vocal standing crowds in seated areas before and when stood in front of an elderly fan spoiling their view I have done the honourable thing and sat. I could never envisage myself saying 'selfish' or 'move to the front'.

I guess that the conclusion is we need safe standing. But that remains out of our hands!

I wasn't there but if only the back 4 rows were standing the 5th from the back would have been still good surely??

I was unaware that there were different priced tickets on sale for different views???

4 reasons why you "should" have moved; 1) to get a better view, 2) the choice to sit, 3) To allow those who wish to stand to continue and 4) common sense.

As for selfish, making someone sit who wants to stand so you can sit (when there option to still sit couple rows down is there) could be seen as selfish.

Good conclusion however, it's a shame that we have to even waste time talking about this when the obviously solution is there for all to see :(

• SC&T Board Members

Not entirely: clickety click

I sat and stood over the years. For me it's fairly simple. Terracing if for standing and seating is for sitting.

Personally I couldn't stand up in front of someone who is sitting behind. They don't get to see the game that they've spent a lot of money on. Sitting down and watching is no great loss. Suggesting you can't get into the game if you're sitting sounds like nonsense to me.

Banging on about the importance of standing just sounds like you're trying to make yourself out to be a hardcore, super-fan. I stood for years in the East End and Open End (often in the rain). There was nothing hardcore or authentic about it. It was just what was available. I suppose some prefer the disgusting toilets of yesteryear where facilities consisted of nothing more than an open gutter - that was where it was at. The real, authentic football experience.

If people want to recreate the 'authentic' football experience of the pre-90s they should speak to the club about pumping out all the shit dance music which preludes almost every single kick-off. Many fans don't need loud, pumping music to artificially create an atmosphere and they don't need cheesy half-time entertainment. Football used to be just about watching football - sitting or standing.

Archived