IGNORED

Super Bob Taylor

foghornred

:city: Nice to see Super Bobby Taylor at the gate yesterday being interviewed in Harry's bar,and few things that he said were of interest.

Firstly having played with our manager at WBA, he said that 'he was their captain and a born leader and knew that he was managerial material'.

If this is true how come Del can not see that Fontaine is no leader ?

He also said that the best manager was Joe Jorden for him, as he made him the player that he became showing him how to play as a target man.

He also gave us credit for his Super Bobby Taylor chant because baggies fans seem to claim it as theirs but he confirmed what we already know that it was us.

It was good to see him and credit must go to David Lloyd for interviewing him and who ever arranged for this to happen, I for one would love this to become a regular thing with ex-players meeting the fans before games.

When i bought the first computer for my two kids to share ( think it was a sinclair, with the power of a watch by todays standards ) me and the kids ( me really ) made a joke archive ( big tone has since hacked into it ) what i mean to say is the password was "Super Bob "...He was and is to this day one of the greatest strikers i have ever had the joy to watch at the gate, i say this having watched John Galley, Paul Cheesely, Chris Garland etc. etc. oh and Jacki ( Though not what i would call a striker, more a Solidarnosc, kinda guy ) even after his injury i was sad to see him leave, ( thought he was pushed out before he fully recovered, but hey, just a personal opinion )...Best striker we ever got rid of, such is football, thanks to the OP for posting

That's easy to remedy bring 2 ex players to every home game, Tony Dinning and a legend if we are getting dicked bring on Dinning to save the embarrassment.

Good idea but I don't think it would be fair to ask Dinning to come to every home game. We could have a Dinningesque list of ex-players drawn up and put on standby.

Bob Taylor was a legend, he scored goals when he had no right to, was not quick but always in the right place and only ever missed sitters (see the first goal vs Chelsea in the FA Cup - he totally fluffs a sitter) - also amazing in the air for a relatively small guy.

Plus, by all accounts, a lovely bloke too. Fans I've met from West Brom and Bolton all really liked him, always 100% and scored when it mattered

What a legend

How about making it a regular thing,bringing past players back ?

Go along with this, 13 games, 13 past players in their different positions.

At long last we would see a team back at the gate, and would still give the current one a run for their easy earnt cash!

"Best striker we ever got rid of, such is football"

​errm ... not Andy Cole then?

I'm sure that, like me, the poster you have quoted is not referring to achievements after leaving BCFC. I can't think of a former City player who has had more success than Andy Cole after leaving AG.

Andy Cole was undoubtably a real talent when he played for us but for me Bob Taylor was the 'finished article' at City and he played like it (albeit helped by a great partner in Robbie Turner and a more than capable supply line from players like David Smith).

I can't remember exactly which season it was but Bob Taylor was only kept off the top of the whole Football League leading scorer table by Micky Quinn who himself had an unbelievable season with Newcastle. Taylor finished that season with over 30 goals.

I'm too young to have seen Atyeo so Bob Taylor remains the best striker I have seen a Bristol City.

I'm still gutted we sold him.

Bob Taylor was a legend, he scored goals when he had no right to, was not quick but always in the right place and only ever missed sitters (see the first goal vs Chelsea in the FA Cup - he totally fluffs a sitter) - also amazing in the air for a relatively small guy.

Plus, by all accounts, a lovely bloke too. Fans I've met from West Brom and Bolton all really liked him, always 100% and scored when it mattered

What a legend

My brother met Bob Taylor at a function I think in Usk and got chatting saying that my sons christening was coming up. He got my address of my brother and sent a personal card from him and his Missus for the christening. He then went on to send my son birthday cards until we moved a few years later. Never club cards just personal ones. Top bloke and I was gutted to be out having a angry cigerette when he was on the pitch so I missed the interview.

Archived