IGNORED

An Opponent's Dream

BCFC Jordan

Well what happened?

Looking back to those sunny days in August where as a team we completely outplayed Palace and Cardiff, we can only wonder how we have ended up in our current state Confidence is clearly a huge factor, I've never experienced such a negative aura around the club as there is currently, yet tactically we don't help ourselves.

From an opposition perspective, if playing away from home against a struggling team you'd be celebrating when finding out that you're up a single striker who has scored 1 in 17. That's nothing against Ryan Taylor as he's been one of the few players to take any credit from this season, but immediately it's a confidence boost for the opposition.

It isn't just the 4-5-1 itself, but a midfield five containing Elliott (who is a shadow of his former self), Kilkenny (can pass the ball around nicely but is largely ineffective for the most part) and Pearson on the left wing which in most games simply doesn't work, leaving Albert and a player we won't have for much longer to protect our defence, as well as attempt to provide support for an almost unexistent attack. No wonder we're so poor.

Personally, I can only see two ways that will allow us to have a chance of doing well for the rest of the season, 4-5-1 just makes are attempts in getting a result even more lifeless, with the exception of the Middlesbrough game. Either ;

A) Play Baldock, Davies and Albert using a 4-4-2 formation. Three players who have all shown their ability at this level and will be a nuisance to any defence in the division, or at least give them more to worry about than a 4-5-1 with an isolated Taylor. We will concede but we're going to do that anyway, hopefully Bates, D.Wilson and Bryan can help improve our early season defensive record when using 4-4-2.

B) When Stead returns from injury, repeat the line up that helped us do so well earlier on in the season. Stead and Woolford know each others games well, which is why Woolford was scoring and Stead getting assists. Stead and Taylor also had a good partnership together, with their work rate being a nuisance to cope with. Danns as one of the two CM's would also be a huge improvement in comparison to what we had at the time. It baffles me how we haven't tried using this again since as it was clearly working at the time.

I appreciate this may come across as a 'Football Manager wannabe' type of post but it's the impression I've gained from the numerous dismal performances I've witnessed this season.

I have to agree - it seems pretty much impossible to set up a central midfield that works so we might as well try A) and revert to B if it fails. I think it's time to try Anderson on the left too and see what he can do. At least two attacking wingers and two goal-scoring forward would give the opposition something to worry about. Whilst I'm not convinced by Morris, I also think Pearson and Elliott (along with Fontaine) have had enough chances to impress this season and it's time to give him (or maybe even Reid) a go.

I'd like to see

Gerken

Foster D.Wilson Bates Briggs or Bryan

Adomah Morris Danns Anderson

Baldock Davies

OK, 6 changes to the starting line-up seems a bit dramatic but I think a 4-1 home defeat calls for something dramatic.

I have to agree - it seems pretty much impossible to set up a central midfield that works so we might as well try A) and revert to B if it fails. I think it's time to try Anderson on the left too and see what he can do. At least two attacking wingers and two goal-scoring forward would give the opposition something to worry about. Whilst I'm not convinced by Morris, I also think Pearson and Elliott (along with Fontaine) have had enough chances to impress this season and it's time to give him (or maybe even Reid) a go.

I'd like to see

Gerken

Baldock Davies

OK, 6 changes to the starting line-up seems a bit dramatic but I think a 4-1 home defeat calls for something dramatic.

Not as dramatic as playing Morris though!

I'd like to see

GerkenHeaton

Adomah Morris/Reid Danns Anderson

Baldock Davies

Those changes and I'd have to agree... we won against Palace and Cardiff as BCFC Jordan says with the same team, so how have they suddenly turned this pants.

We know they can play, we know they will concede so why not go back to what we were best at doing - attacking! Risky, but can't be any worse than a 4-1 defeat at home.

I'd like to see

Gerken

Baldock Davies

Briggs is back at Fulham.

Jordan - you mention Woolford's previous success with Stead: what difference do you think Cunningham's return will make - he's not mentioned above, but it seemed to me that the two of them were developing an understanding and its no co-incidence that we've lost any sort of consistency on the left since Cunningham's injury

Jordan - you mention Woolford's previous success with Stead: what difference do you think Cunningham's return will make - he's not mentioned above, but it seemed to me that the two of them were developing an understanding and its no co-incidence that we've lost any sort of consistency on the left since Cunningham's injury

Absolutely, if you look back Woolford was dropped two games after Cunningham's injury. Bryan (though occasionally showing signs of his inexperience) has been an improvement on Briggs and Foster so far and while we await Greg's imminent return, I think now would be a suitable time to bring Wooly back into the starting eleven with young Joe adding that sense of balance on the left hand side which Foster and Briggs didn't.

Absolutely, if you look back Woolford was dropped two games after Cunningham's injury. Bryan (though occasionally showing signs of his inexperience) has been an improvement on Briggs and Foster so far and while we await Greg's imminent return, I think now would be a suitable time to bring Wooly back into the starting eleven with young Joe adding that sense of balance on the left hand side which Foster and Briggs didn't.

Sad thing is, this is probably what Del will do when Danns goes back but for the wrong reasons. Play Wooly on the left (no problem with that), behind Bryan or Cunningham (again no problem with that as well) and put Pearson back in central midfield :shocking:

Archived