IGNORED

Some Good News

Super

But she isn't working, is she? She does a TV speech once a year and the rest of the time is basically a long glorified holiday. My mum's a pensioner too and she works harder than the queen because she actually does her own shopping and runs a house without an army of butlers, footmen and equerries.

And raise money for charity?! Think it through. What do they actually do? Run marathons? Sit in baths of baked beans? No, they "allow" their name to be used as a charity 'patron' and perhaps once a year they might turn up at a banquet the charity has thrown for them.

Americans love Hugh Grant too. For less than £200m a year he'd probably turn up at a couple of charity dinners too. Hell, he might even do 'movember' or something.

And you are repeating the tourism myth. Did you know that during the Royal wedding GDP actually fell - and there was no influx of foreign flagwavers. And TBH even if there was, it would bring a tiny short-lived boost for a few posh London hotels, nowhere near offsetting the cost to the state of the extra Bank Holiday, the mugs for kiddies and the ceremony itself.

I don't hate the Monarchy because it's fashionable to do so, I hate it because it's a ridiculous anachronism in the 21st Century - a stupid, expensive left-over from the days of tribal chiefs and feudalism.

I don't hate the Royals themselves either. Given the fact that most of them are genetically a bit dense they do a reasonable job of waving, smiling and keeping their opinions on anything to themselves. William and Kate seem a nice young couple and I wish them as trouble-free a pregnancy as possible and every happiness with their first child. It's a special feeling for anyone.

Of course, never having to worry about money or work means they and the child will have a future few of their "subjects" could ever dream of.

I'll end my thoughts on this subject with a little anecdote.

The first Mrs Robbo used to have a job that involved running an annual event in Buckingham Palace. Once, to get to the 'balcony room' where the ceremony was occurring she went through one of the not-open-to-the-public throne rooms (there are various). In this room two blokes were re-gilding the thrones and much of the wall with gold leaf. Mrs Robbo #1 asked the workmen how much the tiny books of gold leaf cost. They told her £100 per page and they'd already used 100 pages each and were nowhere near finishing. They had a second room to do once that job was over.

All this re-gilding is paid for directly by you and me via the Home Office which is responsible for the 'maintenance' of Royal palaces. It's not even counted in the Civil List and of course, it can't come from Her Maj's £349m fortune.

Think on't!!!

Well said Robbo. In complete agreement with you on this one. Even if it were true that they make a 'profit' the financial argument should have nothing to do with the constitution. For me they are just a bunch of super-celebrities in an immature, celebrity obsessed culture.

Archived