IGNORED

L1 And Our Academy

RedBrizzleRobin

With a return to league one looking even more likely than last season albeit even if there is a long way to go yet. The L1 wage cap will make us have to shed a fair few players to comply. I don't watch the academy much so im not sure who could play at that level but surely the club will be looking to the academy next season if we go down to rebuild part of the team with. This is the one area we can thank Del for as the restructuring by both Del and the club has I feel, significantly improved it. So of those who watch the academy who do you feel could make the step up to League 1 if we were to go down?

With a return to league one looking even more likely than last season albeit even if there is a long way to go yet. The L1 wage cap will make us have to shed a fair few players to comply. I don't watch the academy much so im not sure who could play at that level but surely the club will be looking to the academy next season if we go down to rebuild part of the team with. This is the one area we can thank Del for as the restructuring by both Del and the club has I feel, significantly improved it. So of those who watch the academy who do you feel could make the step up to League 1 if we were to go down?

Joe Edwards, Bobby Reid, Joe Morrell, Wes Burns, James Wilson, Cole Skuse, Joe Bryan

That's pretty good IMO.

Gerken, Edwards, Wilson, CB, Cunningham/Bryan, RM, Skuse, Reid/Morrell, LM, Taylor, Burns.

We would have this in my opinion...

Joe Bryan, Ryan Taylor, Joe Morrell, Cole Skuse, Bobby Reid, Aaron-Amadi Holloway, James Wilson, Wes Burns, Dean Gerken, Greg Cunningham, Joe Edwards.

Skuse will stay because he is a City lad, but this still depends if he would prefer to stay at City or want more cash.

Taylor will stay because he has played at that level more often than the championship and would give him a better chance to be a first choice striker and would score loads in that division in my opinion.

Gerken will stay because Heaton would possibly leave if we go down.

Cunningham because he hasn't had a proper opportunity yet and is only a youngster so needs regular first team football.

The rest are youth products from the academy, it looks like IF we go down our defence would look better than attack.

We won't go down though.

Oh dear, if we went down and played that academy team we would get smacked most weeks, I'd hate to think what the current Swindon team would do to them, and they are from the best team in that division.

I think some people are looking back to some of the dross at that level in years gone by. Over the past few season the quality has gone up. If we went out their with a load of youngsters from the academy we would get mullered.

If that is out hope we have problems.

Can we stop all this "relegation/league 1" nonsense, please?

There's still over half a season to go, FFsake!

Our boys certainly aint the best - but let's get behind 'em!

I did say albeit there is a long way to go. We are certainly not down yet and I do hope we stay up. However it is not nonsense and people are asking some questions that need to be asked. Most of us are still behind them.

I did say albeit there is a long way to go. We are certainly not down yet and I do hope we stay up. However it is not nonsense and people are asking some questions that need to be asked. Most of us are still behind them.

True, you did: I should have read the op more carefully. Trouble is, the banter on here is getting increasingly negative, and that, together with all the booing at AG, don't help the pre-Christmas spirit!

I was at the pre season Hereford v City game where we lost 2-0. Hereford are a Conference side and the team we put out was young players that I assume were from our academy. Pretty unprofessional with none of our players there having names on their shirts and if we rely on that lot in Division 1 - if the worst happens and we are relegated - that lot out against Hereford were at lower end Conference standard. Given also that we seem to get knocked out of the Cups by sides from lower divisions I really fear the worst if we have to rely on academy players.

I was at the pre season Hereford v City game where we lost 2-0. Hereford are a Conference side and the team we put out was young players that I assume were from our academy. Pretty unprofessional with none of our players there having names on their shirts and if we rely on that lot in Division 1 - if the worst happens and we are relegated - that lot out against Hereford were at lower end Conference standard. Given also that we seem to get knocked out of the Cups by sides from lower divisions I really fear the worst if we have to rely on academy players.

I think we have brought in a complete new under 21 side over the last couple of months.

Dont want to see it happen, but should we go down.

I would hope we could cope and be around the top of league one.

I think we have brought in a complete new under 21 side over the last couple of months.

Dont want to see it happen, but should we go down.

I would hope we could cope and be around the top of league one.

Thank heavens for that because our young players out against Hereford seemed poor. I would have expected a City under 21 side to have ripped Hereford apart, the best player on the pitch was Marlon Jackson and he'd just joined Hereford from us!

I too think we are in for a rude awakening if we get relegated, people seem to have an air or us being too good for that league, using Saints and Norwich as an example. Saints spent two seasons in that league and had a management change to get out Alan Pardew, couldnt get them out of that league remember. Norwich got spanked 7-1 by Colchester opening day under Bryan Gunn, before poaching Lambert from them as in a manager who knew that division, Saints did the same with Adkins to get out of that league. QPR spent 3 seasons down there. Sheff Utd are in their 2nd season there. and the list goes on. PNE Cov, Pompey and Scunny are amongst those that have struggled upon relegation as well.

Too long has been spent in this league and we are no longer geared to the division below. As ive noted elsewhere, before GJ was appointed we were looking at going out of that league the other way as well. Things are not so rosey as people seem to think.

As for players definitely staying, should we go down

Lewis Carey, Foster, Bryan, Louis Carey, James Wilson, Elliott, Pearson, Skuse, Kilkenny, Taylor, Baldock as well as the young uns

Not a team that will do well tbh

Yep, Lambert guided Norwich out of Div 1 to the Premier League and the Saints had Adkins guide them onward and upward. Considering all the money spent over the past 4 seasons I'm very disappointed that Steve Lansdown and Co didn't do similar and they failed to appoint a BCFC manager that knew this division and how to get out of it. OK, Steve Coppell was a failed attempt at bringing in a knowledgeable manager at Championship level but why didn't the board appoint another similarly experienced manager after Coppell pissed off?

Thank heavens for that because our young players out against Hereford seemed poor. I would have expected a City under 21 side to have ripped Hereford apart, the best player on the pitch was Marlon Jackson and he'd just joined Hereford from us!

have you actually watched any other game since the pre season friendly at Hereford !!!!!!!!!!!!

the 21s are top of their league at present !!!!!

have you actually watched any other game since the pre season friendly at Hereford !!!!!!!!!!!!

the 21s are top of their league at present !!!!!

The BCFC team I watch and am interested in is the first team and they are currently in the relegation zone of the Championship. I went to the Hereford game expecting to see some of the first team play but there were none present - just young lads with no names on their shirts. Good news for the future with the under 21s now doing so well - it must be a far different team to that that was out against Hereford.

The BCFC team I watch and am interested in is the first team and they are currently in the relegation zone of the Championship. I went to the Hereford game expecting to see some of the first team play but there were none present - just young lads with no names on their shirts. Good news for the future with the under 21s now doing so well - it must be a far different team to that that was out against Hereford.

Well i have my answer on both fronts , you have no interest in anything other than the first team, and haven't seen the team that you say would struggle in the lower leagues since August.

If you watched them more often they wouldn't need names on their shirts would they, and perhaps you would be more informed in your opinion of them

Go and watch them more often, you might be surprised !! £3 and £1 concessions, better value, trust me, than the team you are so loyal to

Well i have my answer on both fronts , you have no interest in anything other than the first team, and haven't seen the team that you say would struggle in the lower leagues since August.

If you watched them more often they wouldn't need names on their shirts would they, and perhaps you would be more informed in your opinion of them

Go and watch them more often, you might be surprised !! £3 and £1 concessions, better value, trust me, than the team you are so loyal to

PS the team against Hereford contained players with no chance of 1st team football and needed a game, most of which have now moved on and given these young lads the chance they deserve !!

I too think we are in for a rude awakening if we get relegated, people seem to have an air or us being too good for that league, using Saints and Norwich as an example. Saints spent two seasons in that league and had a management change to get out Alan Pardew, couldnt get them out of that league remember. Norwich got spanked 7-1 by Colchester opening day under Bryan Gunn, before poaching Lambert from them as in a manager who knew that division, Saints did the same with Adkins to get out of that league. QPR spent 3 seasons down there. Sheff Utd are in their 2nd season there. and the list goes on. PNE Cov, Pompey and Scunny are amongst those that have struggled upon relegation as well.

Too long has been spent in this league and we are no longer geared to the division below. As ive noted elsewhere, before GJ was appointed we were looking at going out of that league the other way as well. Things are not so rosey as people seem to think.

As for players definitely staying, should we go down

Lewis Carey, Foster, Bryan, Louis Carey, James Wilson, Elliott, Pearson, Skuse, Kilkenny, Taylor, Baldock as well as the young uns

Not a team that will do well tbh

Agreed, that division is much better, much harder than it was when we were last there. Leeds, how long did they take to escape it? 3 seasons was it, despite the decvent fanbase? Southampton, Norwich. Plus of course the likes of PNE, Cov, Sheff Utd down there, it would be a hard slog I suspect.

Will everyone stop naming Joe Morrell amongst first team players? He's only just joined signed terms and is FIFTEEN. Give him some time, not pressure!

Absolutely, some hilarious utterly uninformed nonsense on this thread.

Morrell is someone who if he makes it, will be in first team contention in 2017 (when he's 19) not next year..

Archived