IGNORED

Classic Chant By Afc Wimbledon Fans

Portland Bill

There's a few mis-conceptions about Milton Keynes going on here! I live near there, so think I'd better put you straight:

- Yes, it's a 'new town' from the '60s, but the actual main MK village has been around for yonks, there's still an 'old town' part to it

- It's actually quite green with lots of trees and open spaces

- It's probably the only one of the 'new towns' to have really succeeded (others such as Harlow remain pretty depressing)

- It's got a relatively young population and lots of kids, so is fertile territory for a new football team

- Although many of the people living there are 'incomers', there's an increasing number of kids who have been born and raised there, who identify with it as 'home', so a footie team was a natural progression in establishing this identity

Now, I'm not an apologist for the history that led to MK Dons - I fully understand the anger and resentment of the Wimbledon fans - but as a place, MK is actually quite nice now, and I've often wondered about moving there. It bears no resemblance to, say, Yate, other than being flat and relatively newly developed.

There's a few mis-conceptions about Milton Keynes going on here! I live near there, so think I'd better put you straight:

- Yes, it's a 'new town' from the '60s, but the actual main MK village has been around for yonks, there's still an 'old town' part to it

- It's probably the only one of the 'new towns' to have really succeeded (others such as Harlow remain pretty depressing)

- It's got a relatively young population and lots of kids, so is fertile territory for a new football team

- Although many of the people living there are 'incomers', there's an increasing number of kids who have been born and raised there, who identify with it as 'home', so a footie team was a natural progression in establishing this identity

Now, I'm not an apologist for the history that led to MK Dons - I fully understand the anger and resentment of the Wimbledon fans - but as a place, MK is actually quite nice now, and I've often wondered about moving there. It bears no resemblance to, say, Yate, other than being flat and relatively newly developed.

What does the milk from the concrete cows taste like?

Did Milton Keynes have a football team before the franchise took over ?

Not a League team, but unsure if they had a non-league team.

I've been to MK quite a few times thanks to having an ex-Mrs from there and I have to say it's a pleasant enough place but it lacks a certain 'Je Ne Sais Quoi'. Possibly to do with it being mostly new-looking without any hills or older buildings. Character would be the best word for what it's lacking I reckon.

I lived in MK for a while and still work there. It's a relatively clean, modern place with lots of families and open spaces. Despite this, it's probably one of the most soulless, boring places in the UK-unless you like shopping and chain bars there isn't much to do. One of the main reasons I moved up to Northampton in the end.

In footballing terms, I think a lot of MK Dons fans have connections to other teams because people moved to the area from all over the place. If they come up and we go down, it would be depressing.

Archived