IGNORED

Student Tickets

XJAP

Will City ever introduce a Student Ticket again?

(Non-Season) Ticket prices are ridiculous and A.G's atmosphere is poor.

For eaxmple £20 is the minimum in advance to watch Bristol City vs Watford, and £25 minimum on the match day- What a Joke!

I thought we were meant to encourage young people to attend games.

Unless City ever introduce a system whereby I won't ever be paying more than a tenner, myself and A LOT of my friends will carry on not attending any games.

(Don't suggest I buy a season ticket, because not everyone can afford them on a one off payment, and some of us don't want to put our money into a team performing badly on a regular basis).

- Looking forward to all the hating and rantz! ;)

XJAP, I'm not at home at the moment but I'll send you a link to a thread I started on here a while back on the same topic. It got quite a lot of responses and was quite an interesting debate!

I've actually spoken to DL regarding the matter and, for anyone who's interested, he's informed me that the club are aware and that they are looking into some possible ideas/strategies that they may be able to implement.

Meh i'm a student too, however i'd bloody love to have a season ticket regardless of how well or otherwise we are performing. But to pay my rent, bills etc I work every Saturday so it's not feasible at all. £20 is not a bad price at all imo, think of how much you spend on a night out - probably more than that. Just go to the football instead?

Not ever paying more than a tenner is asking a lot, maybe a flat £20 ticket potd would be good. I've been to all the night games this season as it's all I can get to but the number of times i've had mates say they don't think they can make it then turn round on the day and ask for the potd price as they now want to come and been put off by the price.

But yeah as I was saying. The advance order prices are pretty good and are affordable too imo. Just go to half as many games if you only want to pay a tenner and the price is £20...?

Will City ever introduce a Student Ticket again?

(Non-Season) Ticket prices are ridiculous and A.G's atmosphere is poor.

For eaxmple £20 is the minimum in advance to watch Bristol City vs Watford, and £25 minimum on the match day- What a Joke!

I thought we were meant to encourage young people to attend games.

Unless City ever introduce a system whereby I won't ever be paying more than a tenner, myself and A LOT of my friends will carry on not attending any games.

(Don't suggest I buy a season ticket, because not everyone can afford them on a one off payment, and some of us don't want to put our money into a team performing badly on a regular basis).

- Looking forward to all the hating and rantz! ;)

There should be some sort of student price, I'm sure there used to be!! Bizzarely our ticket prices are relatively one of the less expensive in the 2nd division! I'm an eastender but if I didn't mind where I sat/stood I'd get one for the family stand/area (cheapest price) and move to whatever part of the stand there was spare seats.....

how many of theose 54k visited ashton gate when we had student prices I'd wager about 30 of them

Don't give them facts you horrible person.

Student season tickets at Ashton Gate amassed almost 20 in number last time they were offered. Imagine trying to cram that lot in the section down by A block of the Atyeo? Carnage, pure carnage, I doubt the club would get the necessary safety certificate to hold another event.

There is already a massive discount available at Bristol City, it's called the Wedlock stand, tell your student mates, all 54000 of them.

I know plenty of students who attend UWE who are not City through and through like myself and others. However I encouraged 7 of them along to the god awful performance against Forest and a further 10 or so to many other fixtures over the last few season's.

They all now have a soft spot for us (mainly because of there pity towards our defence) and have openly said they loved the atmosphere in the EE and would quite happily come again even at the full £18 - £20 price.

If the club advertised City over on the various UWE areas and campuses just like Bristol RFC with decent student priced tickets and deals then I am sure that we would see an increase in ticket purchases. And yes students will go after 3 - 4 years but they are replaced by new ones who will also be as 'vulnerable' to the advertising and prices if they were openly available.

how the hell do you attract students to visit the Gate, when more of us aint interested in the fare these days. Besides of that the entire world does not revolve round students. I reckon a discounted for serving and ex serviceman would be more use (a Veterans ticket if you like)

There again like those moaning about the lack of Student tickets, I have a vested interest in my idea.

Students already have enough cheap options. I look forward to the abuse from y'all... :icecream:

Hard one.

I wasn't aware until recently but there was a very miniscule takeup last time. However, 54k IS a big market to tap into. Need all the support we can get both financially and on the pitch. Also from what I've read a lot of students stay on in Bristol after grad, saw some stats but this was a few yrs ago. If they get the bug when at uni, stay on here or nearby you may have a longterm fan indeed.

Might be worth pursuing when we get the new ground. Until then, given capacity, existing fanbase etc perhaps not.

I used to come a lot more with the student prices, I even had a student season ticket back when I worked more hours. Now it is minimum 22ish quid per game now (although there was that groupon game for £14 too), I was happy paying that up until the Charlton game, now I refuse to put my hand in my pocket for a ticket which I could barely afford in the first place. After that game, I am just sickened by our current situation, just a team of ****less idiots spattered by good players. I very nearly bought a ticket (stupidly) for Wolves, but so glad I didn't. I was even upset that I wasted my time listening to it.

Hope is what gets you.

Sorry if I offend on this one but why should someone get a better ticket rate just because they are a student? Pay the same like we all have to. I agree ticket prices are a rip but where's my 'employed-on-a-shyte-wage' ticket offer? You chose to spend years in college studying useless subjects. There are lots of students where I am based and they seem to be rich enough to get plastered on an almost nightly basis.

I'm sure there are some fans on this forum who became City supporters through moving to Bristol for work or university/college. My friend and her husband went to Southampton Uni in the 1990s and have been Saints fans/season ticket holders ever since.

Saying all students are wasters is the same as saying all football fans are hooligans…

I bought two teenagers to watch their first City game. They are both aged 18 and are in higher education and therefore have no income to speak of. At 3.05pm for the Blackpool game they were asked to pay a combined total of £46. They didn't and haven't been back since.

Surely there must be an incentive for this age group to watch a game. Maybe a reduced price for 16-21 year olds.(£15 tops)

Otherwise they will just be lost to City and watch Manure or Chelski on the box each week and believe they are footy fans!!

Sorry if I offend on this one but why should someone get a better ticket rate just because they are a student? Pay the same like we all have to. I agree ticket prices are a rip but where's my 'employed-on-a-shyte-wage' ticket offer? You chose to spend years in college studying useless subjects. There are lots of students where I am based and they seem to be rich enough to get plastered on an almost nightly basis.

I am a Bristol City fan, and one of those silly students studying the useless subject of accounting and finance...

Most business' in the UK have realised that students have little money, so they offer student discount. This clearly angers other people who ask 'why do they deserve discount?'.

The simple reason is, like the OP said, there are 54,000 students in Bristol. Each paying an average £8,000 a year on tuition, and living costs on top of that. This is funded by loans, which students have to pay back. SO they have little money, but there are many of them that live in Bristol and most of them no doubt enjoy football. So why have an empty seat costing the club money, instead of having a bum on a seat and 10 quid (or whatever price they feel is adequate). I would love to go watch city more, but i simply cannot afford 25 quid when i have no income.

If you still feel that the discount is unwarranted then that is a larger issue, as most places offer student discounts. Why shouldn't Bristol City be one?

I feel that many young fans don't become real City fans, i.e. go to games. Instead they become 'City fans' that spend most of their efforts supporting Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and, no doubt, the current generation will bring along Man City fans also.

Obviously, the biggest factor in this is due to wanting to watch and support one of the good prem teams.

Yet, I am compelled to add, in my case, that a huge reason why I am a 'real city' fan, who goes to every game I can make and doesn't support a glory team, is because when I was 16-20 I could afford to watch live games due to the student ticket.

Fair enough students always have enough money to go out on benders every night of the week and so on, and that veterans and 'shite-paid job' warrants help also, however I don't see how pushing students further away with lack of a student ticket and marketing of the club at Uni's in Bristol does any good.

I am a Bristol City fan, and one of those silly students studying the useless subject of accounting and finance...

Most business' in the UK have realised that students have little money, so they offer student discount. This clearly angers other people who ask 'why do they deserve discount?'.

The simple reason is, like the OP said, there are 54,000 students in Bristol. Each paying an average £8,000 a year on tuition, and living costs on top of that. This is funded by loans, which students have to pay back. SO they have little money, but there are many of them that live in Bristol and most of them no doubt enjoy football. So why have an empty seat costing the club money, instead of having a bum on a seat and 10 quid (or whatever price they feel is adequate). I would love to go watch city more, but i simply cannot afford 25 quid when i have no income.

If you still feel that the discount is unwarranted then that is a larger issue, as most places offer student discounts. Why shouldn't Bristol City be one?

Agree with this, I'm a master's student (In Ancient History before someone pipes up) and I have three PT jobs in order to pay for things like bus-fair and food etc, I have very little spare and I'd kill to be able to get down the gate more.

For the sake of a ticket that is maybe 16-18 pounds, they will get many more people in. No-brainer to me.

When I moved to Manchester I was able to get tickets to the Man City home games for £5 as a student.

They did a limited sale for every home game, except the Manc derby, from the union to encourage new fans and fill seats (they also had cheaper student tickets available from the club anyway.) This was for Premier League games! I don't understand why City can't do this? surely it is better to get bums on seats than have them empty?

this was nearly ten years ago mind.....

Archived