IGNORED

Albert On Radio Bristol

Ashton Fred

Thought even without the free kick he was excellent today. His game looks so much more rounded than in previous seasons and unlike when he first signed he doesn't have to endlessly beat the full back to be a threat. His movement off the ball (although not in the Scott Murray league) is much better and he comes inside and looks for the ball much more than he did previously. The only thing he really did wrong today was failing to find someone when he managed to beat his man and was able to carry the ball into the box, although in his defence as it was down the other end I don't actually know if any of our players gave him any viable option to pass to!

Thought even without the free kick he was excellent today. His game looks so much more rounded than in previous seasons and unlike when he first signed he doesn't have to endlessly beat the full back to be a threat. His movement off the ball (although not in the Scott Murray league) is much better and he comes inside and looks for the ball much more than he did previously. The only thing he really did wrong today was failing to find someone when he managed to beat his man and was able to carry the ball into the box, although in his defence as it was down the other end I don't actually know if any of our players gave him any viable option to pass to!

Hope he can keep this up. Defo needs a better final ball whatever.

Albert had an excellent game in the toughest of circumstances - full of running - covered the whole pitch - demanding of the ball - always (as ever) upbeat and enthusiastic - and not a bad player. He is almost worth his place for his ability to lighten the spirits of all around him - can we really afford to lose him in January whatever the price?

On Thursday DM referred briefly to a fear of playing in front of our own fans (generally and not in reference to Albert) and it seemed to me he stopped just short of asking us to give the players a break on this forum and at the ground. Until recently I would have laughed at such sentiment given (with a few obvious exceptions) how abject most away performances have been since DM arrived. But comparison between Boro, Brighton and Wednesday and Charlton and Wolves might suggest DM has a point. Certainly Marvin has been valuable in the two recent away wins but difficult to defend in the last two home defeats.

Perhaps it is time for us to stop seeking scapegoats and to show our faith in them (what choice do we have?). Remember Leicester and Coventry at home last season - if we can replicate what we did on those two occasions across the remaining thirteen home games perhaps we can help deliver a sustained improvement, As our Chairman has said - tough times ahead - we are all in it together - perhaps we can all play a part - isn't that why we are supporters?

Hope he can keep this up. Defo needs a better final ball whatever.

Albert can of course become more consistent with his end product (I'd like to know of any winger in the English second tier that can't), but he plays for Bristol City for a reason. If he was the finished article who was able to beat men with the ease he does and then whip in a perfect delivery I don't think he would stay at City for too long (certainly now he can stick free-kicks into the top corner). From memory he has five goals and seven direct assists so far this season, I wouldn't say that wasn't at all bad in a team that has struggled along near the bottom of the league.

I would say that it is also worth noting that he has either scored or created a goal (sometimes both) in each of our five wins this season.

Archived