IGNORED

Danny Rose

CamBCFC

What a player he's turning out to be, absolutely brilliant for Sunderland tonight. Still only 22 years of age.

How was he so bad for us?

Was he? ... I thought he did a lot of good work covering for McAllister's lack of pace.

This may sound like I'm simply being wise after the event, but I remember thinking while Rose was at City that it if he was going to have a future in the Premier League it was much more likely to come at fullback. He offered excellent cover to McAllister, he seemed much more comfortable running onto the ball rather than running with it and he put in some crunching tackles (he made one on Derry that I'll never forget).

Overall Rose was a disappointment at City and I don't think anybody was too sad when his loan ended, but I feel the majority of City fans are overly critical of his time here. I think we were all slightly guilty of firstly comparing him to Caulker (who was of course a revelation) and secondly Albert. At the time we had Albert on the right (signed from League 2 Barnet) going past people for fun while on the left wing we had Rose (on loan from Champions League Tottenham) not really causing much concern to the opposition right back and I think this led many to slightly exaggerate how poor Rose was for us.

For me he was a reasonable signing, although he didn't pull up any trees, and I'm not at all suprised that two years later he looks to be turning into a fullback rather than a winger.

Archived