IGNORED

I Had A Lucky Escape - I Think I Was Almost A Gashead.

CHAZ MICHAELS

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the stuff on here for ages but I've finally decided to take the plunge and get involved so this is my first post.

The title of my thread relates to the fact that my family moved to the Bristol area in 1971 and my dad tells me that the first game he went to in Bristol was to watch the blue few at Eastville. Thankfully I was too young to go with him at that time but had he not been persuaded by a work colleague to go to a game at Ashton Gate, I may well have been posting on a different site!

I've traced my own first game (thanks to the brilliant book Bristol City The Modern Era) back to 19th August 1972, Millwall at home, a 2-2 draw. That was it - I was a red, there was no going back.

I've supported ever since, through the glory days of the old 1st Division (although I was a little too young to really appreciate what it meant to beat the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal) and through the dark days of liquidation and bottom of the old 4th Division.

My first away game was on 30th January 1982, Newport County away, which was due to be our last ever game. An emotional day.

My favourite game ? Possibly the Littlewoods Cup Semi final first leg at Notts Forest along with 8000 City fans in '89.

Nowadays for various reasons I'm limited to probably 6 or 7 home games a season.

The buzz and anticipation is still there though when I go (just bought my ticket for Boxing Day - looking forward to it) and when I can't go I'm still listening to the wireless or continuously watching updates on the Internet or Sky Sports (and quite often screaming obscenities much to the amusement of my family).

Even now after all these years the club still maintains it's power over me and has an incredible ability to either make or break my mood.

Anyway, nice to 'meet' you and I hope you will be patient with me as I get the hang of this posting malarkey.

Gandalf

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the stuff on here for ages but I've finally decided to take the plunge and get involved so this is my first post.

The title of my thread relates to the fact that my family moved to the Bristol area in 1971 and my dad tells me that the first game he went to in Bristol was to watch the blue few at Eastville. Thankfully I was too young to go with him at that time but had he not been persuaded by a work colleague to go to a game at Ashton Gate, I may well have been posting on a different site!

I've traced my own first game (thanks to the brilliant book Bristol City The Modern Era) back to 19th August 1972, Millwall at home, a 2-2 draw. That was it - I was a red, there was no going back.

I've supported ever since, through the glory days of the old 1st Division (although I was a little too young to really appreciate what it meant to beat the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal) and through the dark days of liquidation and bottom of the old 4th Division.

My first away game was on 30th January 1982, Newport County away, which was due to be our last ever game. An emotional day.

My favourite game ? Possibly the Littlewoods Cup Semi final first leg at Notts Forest along with 8000 City fans in '89.

Nowadays for various reasons I'm limited to probably 6 or 7 home games a season.

The buzz and anticipation is still there though when I go (just bought my ticket for Boxing Day - looking forward to it) and when I can't go I'm still listening to the wireless or continuously watching updates on the Internet or Sky Sports (and quite often screaming obscenities much to the amusement of my family).

Even now after all these years the club still maintains it's power over me and has an incredible ability to either make or break my mood.

Anyway, nice to 'meet' you and I hope you will be patient with me as I get the hang of this posting malarkey.

Gandalf

No....... you're City........... just like the rest of us poor souls :)

Hi everyone,

Gandalf

Welcome...we got some bright ones, dim ones, some oldies, lots of young 'uns (me), moaners, rose tinters, hardcore reds, softcore reds and NTTDS. Which are you?

Welcome Gandalf,

You aren't the only one who could have been a scummer. As a nipper it was Ashton with dad one week and eastville with my uncle the other. Then 1975/76 happened and it was City with dad every week!

never ever gonna forgive my uncle but will aways thank the old man.

Trying, very hard to do the same thing with my Chelsea supporting offspring but it's hard work ATM.

CTID.

Hi everyone,

Gandalf

As the saying goes you are not a City fan until you wish you were not!

I guess the Blue Few may say the same and lets face it while are cup is not running over as much as we might like at least we are not propping up all but one clubs in league two!

Passions get roused and predjudices raised on here, one way or another, we also squabble amongst ourselves and mank moan and rant and rave that we know best, however one thing that keeps bringing us back is we are all CTID!

Go ahead and like the page pinned to the top of the board, if you have not already, particularly as it gives some perspective to us all!!

Funnily enough, I was almost G*s myself as my old man took me to Eastville when I was about 6 for my first 'proper' game of football (I think they lost 2-1 to Darlington, but cant be sure) as it was too boisterous at Ashton Gate, but as my best mate at the time supported City I decided they would be my team too. My old man didn't mind though as he never really followed any team anyway.

Similar story here. I was a footy mad kid who's family wasn't interested in football so I really didn't know an awful lot about City or Rovers as both were in the lower leagues and obviously didn't feature on the limited coverage of football on the TV in the early 80's.

Went to a Rovers game at Eastville for a school friends birthday (a dire 0-0 vs. Port Vale) and that piqued my interest. And then the Evening Post came to my school to take pictures of some of the kids supporting either City or Rovers for an upcoming derby game. I remember trying to get with the kids with the Rovers scarves & signs but the photographer moved me to the City side as they needed one more kid. Fate maybe?

A little while later, 2 other friends at school invited me to a City game against Newport County. I went, loved it, never looked back. The best thing was that I later found out that my Dad and Uncle were mad City fans as kids and used to travel home and away with my Granddad every week!! They sort of just drifted away from it as they got older & had families etc

Never really found out why they didn't try and influence me but I'm glad I found my own way and kept the family red.

Harry Dolman was almost a gashead!

Before joining the board of City he dabbled with the gas. They didn’t seem particularly keen to have him so joined the City board.

For those who are too young to remember, Harry was City Chairman in the 1950’s / early 70’s. He saved the club from bankruptcy in 1960 by giving it approx £55K. This was a lot of money at the time.

The Dolman stand is named after him and according to the City website it only cost £235k to build in 1970. Things have changed a bit since then!

Archived