IGNORED

My First Game Back On Saturday

screech

After a lengthy recovery in rehab after watching Keith Millens brand of football in 2010/11 season, I have a ticket for Saturdays game.

I have given it this long a break because quite frankly I was completely bored to tears with the quality of football on show, anyway this is a trial game after 18 months out.

So I go to the gate not knowing about certain players, Foster, Pearson, Baldock, Davies, Danns etc, anything in there to get excited about? So what am I going to see differently from the Millen era?

Is there more purpose to our play?

Do we still play from the back and encourage everybody else to stand still near the half way line?

Do we still have the Carey rocket launch tactic, where we pass the hot potato around at the back for 10 seconds to then get into trouble and give it to Louis to launch forward?

Is Albert now allowed to stand on the left backs heels and wait for a through ball to run on to?

Are the pies still crap?

Going with an open mind, I know where we are in the league and it aint pretty, but it is the curiosity that is killing me, am I going to get the bug back, I need answers.

After a lengthy recovery in rehab after watching Keith Millens brand of football in 2010/11 season, I have a ticket for Saturdays game.

I have given it this long a break because quite frankly I was completely bored to tears with the quality of football on show, anyway this is a trial game after 18 months out.

So I go to the gate not knowing about certain players, Foster, Pearson, Baldock, Davies, Danns etc, anything in there to get excited about? So what am I going to see differently from the Millen era?

Do we still play from the back and encourage everybody else to stand still near the half way line?

Do we still have the Carey rocket launch tactic, where we pass the hot potato around at the back for 10 seconds to then get into trouble and give it to Louis to launch forward?

Is Albert now allowed to stand on the left backs heels and wait for a through ball to run on to?

Are the pies still crap?

Going with an open mind, I know where we are in the league and it aint pretty, but it is the curiosity that is killing me, am I going to get the bug back, I need answers.

Watch out for a young lad called Atyeo, he's a prospect.

Are the pies still crap?

Remember Fontaine, well i'll be suprised if you don't swear in a sentence with his name in it.

Are the pies still crap?

You are a braver man than me, i reley on my son to carry the mantle, i got the grate

we've been a mixed bag at home some good performances (Cardiff, Blackpool, Palace) some absolute dredge (Charlton Burnley, Wolves) and some very unlucky (Leeds, Blackburn, Millwall)

It depends what team turn up and whether they are still scared of playing at Ashton Gate,

That's some self-imposed exile! You're obviously made of stronger stuff than lots of us, who leave AG resolving to 'have a break' from it, but don't last more than a few weeks :surrender:

You'll have got the flavour of things from OTIB - massively inconsistent, and by that I mean a team which either try and play it on the deck and show for the ball, or one which plays with zero confidence exactly as you describe.

My last couple of games have been Charlton and Wolves - and I wouldnt wish a repeat of either of them on anyone! No idea how good Danns is as he didnt get a kick against Wolves.

No doubt Derby will be a handful - if that kiddy Hughes runs at us through the middle we might be looking at another Doyle type goal :gaah:

If anything, the catering has got worse.

But, having said all of that, hopefully you will get the feeling for it back and become a regular again - the rest of us need you! :tumbleweed:

We're not losing 3-0 at home every week, that's progress :)

Yep; we're losing 4-1 now! After recent weeks I have a little more hope, though my next game won't be until Leeds away so that hope will no doubt of taken a battering by then!

My advice? Keep your expectations low. No, lower than that... Really low. That's about right

I couldnt be happier you beat us 4-2... gave us a kick up the arse at the right time by the looks! also gave you all some false hope. I rememember the deluge of comments about you finishing above us and even talking about promotion. now their are threads of fans staying away. Unbelievable.

and all your fans were calling for malkay to get sacked.. fickle fans eh..

Screech - would love to read your appraisal on Saturday evening. We all know what to expect and sometimes assume we see things that actually we dont because of a bias or a fatigue. Certain players are written off before they come out the tunnel. Away fans can provide a different perspective, but you cant exect them to focus on our players for 90 minutes. As such, would love to hear the views of an uninfected City fan (who actually saw the game).....

Screech - would love to read your appraisal on Saturday evening. We all know what to expect and sometimes assume we see things that actually we dont because of a bias or a fatigue. Certain players are written off before they come out the tunnel. Away fans can provide a different perspective, but you cant exect them to focus on our players for 90 minutes. As such, would love to hear the views of an uninfected City fan (who actually saw the game).....

Only if he dont end up in bar bs3 for the second half, as many do

Are the pies still crap?

So what did you make of it?

Well it's only right that I post my thoughts on the game yesterday for what it's worth, having been out of it for so long I went with an open mind on players I haven't seen before and cast an eye over the ones I knew about.

A good sign as I took my seat was the butterflies in my stomach had returned, or maybe the hot dog from earlier was under cooked, not sure but anyway, it felt different from the last time I was there, it didn't feel like the traditional Saturday afternoon long walk to my death sensation that I was getting 18 months ago. Managed to bag a cracking seat next to the old man up in row M Dolman block D, a good view of the pitch.

As for the game itself the line up of new players I hadn't seen before were Heaton, Foster, Bates, Mcmanus, Danns, Bryan, Baldock, Taylor so practically all on show from the start, so I didn't have previous knowledge of any past performances in a City shirt.

The big difference in the sides was the midfield, Derby had a man over and a much more mobile one, their defence closed the gaps in behind, marshalled by the excellent Keogh, he talked and encouraged all afternoon. I recall a moan I had about how quiet we used to be on the pitch, not enough talking, lacking of passion, players making the effort to impose themselves in the game to get a reaction from the others. This is still true from what I saw yesterday, sadly.

We took turns to create huge gaps between our defense and midfield, then our midfield and attack, never quiet closing the space oddly, it left the defense with the option of launching a long one or to try and keep the ball by going along the back line and hoping somebody from midfield would come and collect, yet when they came they all seem to come, which left the midfield deep with the option of going long to the front line or playing it back to the defense. This lack of movement in midfield was extremely frustrating it has to be said. Heaton was left exposed due to the constant retreating of the defense when Derby ran at us, nobody was prepared to take one for the team.

Our defense were powderpuff at times especially Fontaine, a player who used to look composed on the ball, now can't wait to get rid of it wherever that may be, usually across the back line, he looks scared to death on the pitch. Foster always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, that was quite impressive to see. Not sure why Bates went off but I can only assume it was injury related, Fontaine should have volunteered if this was a tactical decision. Cunningham didn't look fit at all, and McManus was probably the best out of the four but was not particularly great.

Stark contrast between the two defences Taylor was feeling a centre half all over him every time the ball came his way, they made him known they were there. For Derby, Sammon was bullying our centre halfs all afternoon, I can't remember a time where one of them tried to unbalanced him or make him feel uncomfortable with the ball, not one time did a defender come through with force on his back or nudge him off the ball, it was too nice.

In midfield Adomah was trying to get something going for us, but found 2 sometimes 3 on him and if Foster or Elliott had ran to give him support he may have got a bit more freedom to do some damage, but they seemed determined Albert should do it on his own. Derby knew this was our only out ball, it was a shame that the other 9 outfield players for City players once tried to change this.
First time for me seeing Joe Bryan, he played some neat football at times and with more games he could become a decent player, he looks no world beater by any means, but it proves that their is talent within, it just needs a manager to take a chance on one, he didn't look out of place and I thought a shame he was substituted instead of Marv who looks completely shot at this level. Danns was quiet, when their was a ball for him to be played inside, it often never came to him, he at least looked like he is a player, he needed another willing runner next to him though as Marv took the term midfield too literally, did he move out of the centre spot?

Up front for us Taylor was very neat and tidy, a good touch for a front man, his heading needs working on but he gives some hope if he can get some goals. Baldock missed a great chance, and I can't really remember too much else from him, a few nice touches earlier on but not really involved too much. Davies never really had much to do, and nice to see our left midfielder Anderson Stead get a game out there.

The first goal came about because Foster initially didn't get across and close the space down from the wing, bizarrely taking a more central position, when he did get there it was half arsed. The second was a simple case of allowing their man to run in front of goal, basic defending in fairness. Overall I felt we never looked like we winning the game against a team that was well drilled and were given time to play their football, the challenges just weren't going in and they made the extra midfielder count, the young Albino kid Hughes? needed doing early on before he got the cigar and slippers out, it was made all very comfortable for them, which left me feeling there was a lack of effort, which surprised me considering we are down there and playing at home, an easier away game they may never get this season.

I didn't necessarily think we were completely terrible, with more guts shown we could have knocked them out of their stride and who knows built up a bit of momentum to nick a goal, but at best we would have deserved a draw yesterday such was the lack of cleverness on and off the ball, we need to get streetwise, stop teams with a foul now and again so they don't keep running directly at goal, be more physical with opposition forwards and start looking for space in midfield. But the manager needs to be brave and drop one or two that are clearly out of form. Will I come back, well at the moment I think I will, When? hopefully in the New Year when I get a spare weekend, but taking a hit to the pocket every week to watch that is definately not going to happen.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="screech" data-cid="1682346" data-time="1355658758"><p>

Well it's only right that I post my thoughts on the game yesterday for what it's worth, having been out of it for so long I went with an open mind on players I haven't seen before and cast an eye over the ones I knew about.<br />

A good sign as I took my seat was the butterflies in my stomach had returned, or maybe the hot dog from earlier was under cooked, not sure but anyway, it felt different from the last time I was there, it didn't feel like the traditional Saturday afternoon long walk to my death sensation that I was getting 18 months ago. Managed to bag a cracking seat next to the old man up in row M Dolman block D, a good view of the pitch.<br />

<br />

As for the game itself the line up of new players I hadn't seen before were Heaton, Foster, Bates, Mcmanus, Danns, Bryan, Baldock, Taylor so practically all on show from the start, so I didn't have previous knowledge of any past performances in a City shirt.<br />

The big difference in the sides was the midfield, Derby had a man over and a much more mobile one, their defence closed the gaps in behind, marshalled by the excellent Keogh, he talked and encouraged all afternoon. I recall a moan I had about how quiet we used to be on the pitch, not enough talking, lacking of passion, players making the effort to impose themselves in the game to get a reaction from the others. This is still true from what I saw yesterday, sadly.<br />

We took turns to create huge gaps between our defense and midfield, then our midfield and attack, never quiet closing the space oddly, it left the defense with the option of launching a long one or to try and keep the ball by going along the back line and hoping somebody from midfield would come and collect, yet when they came they all seem to come, which left the midfield deep with the option of going long to the front line or playing it back to the defense. This lack of movement in midfield was extremely frustrating it has to be said. Heaton was left exposed due to the constant retreating of the defense when Derby ran at us, nobody was prepared to take one for the team.<br />

<br />

Our defense were powderpuff at times especially Fontaine, a player who used to look composed on the ball, now can't wait to get rid of it wherever that may be, usually across the back line, he looks scared to death on the pitch. Foster always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, that was quite impressive to see. Not sure why Bates went off but I can only assume it was injury related, Fontaine should have volunteered if this was a tactical decision. Cunningham didn't look fit at all, and McManus was probably the best out of the four but was not particularly great.<br />

Stark contrast between the two defences Taylor was feeling a centre half all over him every time the ball came his way, they made him known they were there. For Derby, Sammon was bullying our centre halfs all afternoon, I can't remember a time where one of them tried to unbalanced him or make him feel uncomfortable with the ball, not one time did a defender come through with force on his back or nudge him off the ball, it was too nice.<br />

<br />

In midfield Adomah was trying to get something going for us, but found 2 sometimes 3 on him and if Foster or Elliott had ran to give him support he may have got a bit more freedom to do some damage, but they seemed determined Albert should do it on his own. Derby knew this was our only out ball, it was a shame that the other 9 outfield players for City players once tried to change this.<br />

First time for me seeing Joe Bryan, he played some neat football at times and with more games he could become a decent player, he looks no world beater by any means, but it proves that their is talent within, it just needs a manager to take a chance on one, he didn't look out of place and I thought a shame he was substituted instead of Marv who looks completely shot at this level. Danns was quiet, when their was a ball for him to be played inside, it often never came to him, he at least looked like he is a player, he needed another willing runner next to him though as Marv took the term midfield too literally, did he move out of the centre spot?<br />

<br />

Up front for us Taylor was very neat and tidy, a good touch for a front man, his heading needs working on but he gives some hope if he can get some goals. Baldock missed a great chance, and I can't really remember too much else from him, a few nice touches earlier on but not really involved too much. Davies never really had much to do, and nice to see our left midfielder <del class='bbc'>Anderson</del> Stead get a game out there.<br />

<br />

The first goal came about because Foster initially didn't get across and close the space down from the wing, bizarrely taking a more central position, when he did get there it was half arsed. The second was a simple case of allowing their man to run in front of goal, basic defending in fairness. Overall I felt we never looked like we winning the game against a team that was well drilled and were given time to play their football, the challenges just weren't going in and they made the extra midfielder count, the young Albino kid Hughes? needed doing early on before he got the cigar and slippers out, it was made all very comfortable for them, which left me feeling there was a lack of effort, which surprised me considering we are down there and playing at home, an easier away game they may never get this season.<br />

<br />

I didn't necessarily think we were completely terrible, with more guts shown we could have knocked them out of their stride and who knows built up a bit of momentum to nick a goal, but at best we would have deserved a draw yesterday such was the lack of cleverness on and off the ball, we need to get streetwise, stop teams with a foul now and again so they don't keep running directly at goal, be more physical with opposition forwards and start looking for space in midfield. But the manager needs to be brave and drop one or two that are clearly out of form. Will I come back, well at the moment I think I will, When? hopefully in the New Year when I get a spare weekend, but taking a hit to the pocket every week to watch that is definately not going to happen.<br />

</p></blockquote>

They were never going to go the extra mile in this game. Christmas parties are no fun when injured

Well it's only right that I post my thoughts on the game yesterday for what it's worth, having been out of it for so long I went with an open mind on players I haven't seen before and cast an eye over the ones I knew about.

A good sign as I took my seat was the butterflies in my stomach had returned, or maybe the hot dog from earlier was under cooked, not sure but anyway, it felt different from the last time I was there, it didn't feel like the traditional Saturday afternoon long walk to my death sensation that I was getting 18 months ago. Managed to bag a cracking seat next to the old man up in row M Dolman block D, a good view of the pitch.

As for the game itself the line up of new players I hadn't seen before were Heaton, Foster, Bates, Mcmanus, Danns, Bryan, Baldock, Taylor so practically all on show from the start, so I didn't have previous knowledge of any past performances in a City shirt.

The big difference in the sides was the midfield, Derby had a man over and a much more mobile one, their defence closed the gaps in behind, marshalled by the excellent Keogh, he talked and encouraged all afternoon. I recall a moan I had about how quiet we used to be on the pitch, not enough talking, lacking of passion, players making the effort to impose themselves in the game to get a reaction from the others. This is still true from what I saw yesterday, sadly.

We took turns to create huge gaps between our defense and midfield, then our midfield and attack, never quiet closing the space oddly, it left the defense with the option of launching a long one or to try and keep the ball by going along the back line and hoping somebody from midfield would come and collect, yet when they came they all seem to come, which left the midfield deep with the option of going long to the front line or playing it back to the defense. This lack of movement in midfield was extremely frustrating it has to be said. Heaton was left exposed due to the constant retreating of the defense when Derby ran at us, nobody was prepared to take one for the team.

Our defense were powderpuff at times especially Fontaine, a player who used to look composed on the ball, now can't wait to get rid of it wherever that may be, usually across the back line, he looks scared to death on the pitch. Foster always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, that was quite impressive to see. Not sure why Bates went off but I can only assume it was injury related, Fontaine should have volunteered if this was a tactical decision. Cunningham didn't look fit at all, and McManus was probably the best out of the four but was not particularly great.

Stark contrast between the two defences Taylor was feeling a centre half all over him every time the ball came his way, they made him known they were there. For Derby, Sammon was bullying our centre halfs all afternoon, I can't remember a time where one of them tried to unbalanced him or make him feel uncomfortable with the ball, not one time did a defender come through with force on his back or nudge him off the ball, it was too nice.

In midfield Adomah was trying to get something going for us, but found 2 sometimes 3 on him and if Foster or Elliott had ran to give him support he may have got a bit more freedom to do some damage, but they seemed determined Albert should do it on his own. Derby knew this was our only out ball, it was a shame that the other 9 outfield players for City players once tried to change this.

First time for me seeing Joe Bryan, he played some neat football at times and with more games he could become a decent player, he looks no world beater by any means, but it proves that their is talent within, it just needs a manager to take a chance on one, he didn't look out of place and I thought a shame he was substituted instead of Marv who looks completely shot at this level. Danns was quiet, when their was a ball for him to be played inside, it often never came to him, he at least looked like he is a player, he needed another willing runner next to him though as Marv took the term midfield too literally, did he move out of the centre spot?

Up front for us Taylor was very neat and tidy, a good touch for a front man, his heading needs working on but he gives some hope if he can get some goals. Baldock missed a great chance, and I can't really remember too much else from him, a few nice touches earlier on but not really involved too much. Davies never really had much to do, and nice to see our left midfielder Anderson Stead get a game out there.

The first goal came about because Foster initially didn't get across and close the space down from the wing, bizarrely taking a more central position, when he did get there it was half arsed. The second was a simple case of allowing their man to run in front of goal, basic defending in fairness. Overall I felt we never looked like we winning the game against a team that was well drilled and were given time to play their football, the challenges just weren't going in and they made the extra midfielder count, the young Albino kid Hughes? needed doing early on before he got the cigar and slippers out, it was made all very comfortable for them, which left me feeling there was a lack of effort, which surprised me considering we are down there and playing at home, an easier away game they may never get this season.

I didn't necessarily think we were completely terrible, with more guts shown we could have knocked them out of their stride and who knows built up a bit of momentum to nick a goal, but at best we would have deserved a draw yesterday such was the lack of cleverness on and off the ball, we need to get streetwise, stop teams with a foul now and again so they don't keep running directly at goal, be more physical with opposition forwards and start looking for space in midfield. But the manager needs to be brave and drop one or two that are clearly out of form. Will I come back, well at the moment I think I will, When? hopefully in the New Year when I get a spare weekend, but taking a hit to the pocket every week to watch that is definately not going to happen.

I told you nothing has changed since the Millen era. Actually something has changed, we are a lot worse.

A very fair assessment. At least it wasn't as bad as the Wolves game and I believe there is still hope, but not as much as I would like!

Hope the result is better on your next visit.

I couldnt be happier you beat us 4-2... gave us a kick up the arse at the right time by the looks! also gave you all some false hope. I rememember the deluge of comments about you finishing above us and even talking about promotion. now their are threads of fans staying away. Unbelievable.

Pish off your lambs getting cold

We will finish above you....... maybe not this seaon but........ I talk of seasons yet to be seen..... I am the ghost of Bristol City FC of Christmas yet to happen.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="the_real_city" data-cid="1680916" data-time="1355480611"><p>

I couldnt be happier you beat us 4-2... gave us a kick up the arse at the right time by the looks! also gave you all some false hope. I rememember the deluge of comments about you finishing above us and even talking about promotion. now their are threads of fans staying away. Unbelievable.</p></blockquote>

It could be worse,we could have sold our souls,changed our colours,sold our history,and lost our bottle to stand up for what we believe in.......... but hey, that's Cardiff for you.

Archived