IGNORED

City 0 - 2 Derby County

The Kaiser

I have had a look where to write my thoughts from today's game and it just seems to be hurling abuse at defenders (valid I might add) or about McInnes being sacked, so I thought I would write a new 'un so feel free to merge somewhere I may have missed.

I have missed a fair few games this season because of work commitments in Asia so this is the first game I have made in a few months - and all I have to say is what a difference those months make!

Same personnel to some extent, same set-up but Good God what a much poorer side we are now.

For me, a lot of it is down to a couple of things -

1) Lack of confidence. At home, the team has no confidence. They don't want to make mistakes, they are frightened of giving the ball away and as a result you have a midfield playing the ball safely back to the defenders, the defenders playing it across the back instead of forward, midfielders not wanting to shoot and forwards passing instead of shooting.

Examples -

Fontaine played pretty much 90% of his passes across the back. He has no confidence.

Marvin Elliott had the ball on the edge of the box first half - I recalled his goal against Stoke first season we came up - this time he wasn't interested in shooting and played a poor ball tamelessly which went nowhere.

Nobody wanted the ball - only Albert Adomah seemed to want it - so nobody to pass to.

Second Half - chances to shoot but Stead instead opted for the pass, again straight out for a goal-kick.

2) Defending.

Because the team doesn't have any confidence, instead of standing a foot away from the Derby player, they stand 3 away. That way they don't look stupid going the wrong way. What it does mean is that Derby players have time and space in abundance. In the first half they had 3 or 4 players with tonnes of room, they should have scored 2 more than they did. Good saves and luck prevented it.

Nobody picks up runners, the communication is non-existent and they are all frightened to death of making mistakes.

As a result the midfield try and help out - yet when we have the ball we're all out of position to go forward.

3) Organisation

Frankly there isn't any.

It's basically today, slowly get the ball play across the back, pump it forward, Derby intercept and then attack at pace and move the ball around with confidence for another attack.

Repeat endlessly.

The plan was

1) Give it to Albert. But then have nobody who fking wanted it off him.

2) Pump it long, something might happen who knows.

In short Derby scored 2 good goals from their perspective but from ours they were poor. Defending was shocking, they were both literally unmarked. The second one was a good one. I was in Dolman B so had a decent view - it was both coming and well worked. We were wrong side of him, nobody closed down the guy crossing it and it was fully deserved.

Baldock should have scored first half - and we had a couple of chances well saved in the second.

But really? Derby could have got 3 more as well.

In the second half they were lining up (unmarked as always).

McInnes needs to do something. I think we're more likely to get points on the road because players will be less scared but in short, Fontaine needs to be out of the team, as does Foster.

Cunningham is a welcome return and I'd play Davies with Baldock up front.

Derby are a half decent Championship side. The fact they made Bristol City look just so ordinary probably highlights the difference between City and most of the table right now.

Good summary. The standing off opposition players and allowing them to run at pace and the inability to play our own passing game were obvious. The big question is whether this was down to either an absence of ability in the squad or tactical instructions from the manager. If it's the former then the buck stops with him as he has had the budget and time to recruit. If it's the latter the buck stops with the manager and his coaching team. I think there are players of sufficient ability in the squad to compete effectively for a mid table position or better.

Good summary. The standing off opposition players and allowing them to run at pace and the inability to play our own passing game were obvious. The big question is whether this was down to either an absence of ability in the squad or tactical instructions from the manager. If it's the former then the buck stops with him as he has had the budget and time to recruit. If it's the latter the buck stops with the manager and his coaching team. I think there are players of sufficient ability in the squad to compete effectively for a mid table position or better.

There are, but not enough

It's this that I look at and am like.. ahhhhh! Heaton, Cunningham, Albert, Danns, Davies and Baldock very, very good players...on paper at least! Add to that Bates, McManus, Wilson, Bryan, Anderson, Taylor, Stead... just ahhh.

You say you've missed a few games, so let me fill you in on a few things.

No matter who we play or how good they are we just keep conceding goals. Wolves for example are not a very good team and their manager has been getting a lot of stick. They beat us 4-1. Blackburn stuck 5 past us and have been on a poor run since. If we carry on in this vein of form we will finish bottom.

Where does the problem lie ? I think Steve Coppell could tell you the answer to that question !

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="olliebcfc" data-cid="1681920" data-time="1355602446"><p>

It's this that I look at and am like.. ahhhhh! Heaton, Cunningham, Albert, Danns, Davies and Baldock very, very good players...on paper at least! Add to that Bates, McManus, Wilson, Bryan, Anderson, Taylor, Stead... just ahhh. </p></blockquote>

I'd argue that on paper Heaton is not a good player :-s

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Beyond The Red Sea" data-cid="1681971" data-time="1355605090"><p>

Wasn't helped by an awful refereeing display by Andy D'urso either.</p></blockquote>

And what else were you expecting from him?

You have a point there.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="NOTR" data-cid="1681948" data-time="1355603895"><p>

I don't know what everyone is worried about,Del said on the radio that we had more and better chances than Derby,truely in denial.</p></blockquote>

We did have more shots than Derby. Wasn't reflective of the performance but we did have more chances.

Archived