IGNORED

Who Would Your Back Four Consist Of, And Why?

hippy273

I was thinking to myself seeing as we are playing like a league one team, there is plenty of defenders in league one who are better than the rubbish we have defending at the moment. Even when we were knocked out by Gillingham in fact, i seem to remember their defence held their own very well. The likes of Byron Webster at Yeovil seems to be more of a solid full back than our lot, but seeing as we have 7 central defenders already and we must justify 'value for money' i don't know why we haven't dipped into league one for reasonable players.

What would your ideal back four be?

Out of everyone at the club I would probably play Skuse/Edwards RB, Carey and McManus CB, and Cunningham LB.

In an ideal world I would get rid of Foster, Nyatanga, Fontaine, Mark Wilson, and Bates and go and sign two new centre backs and a new right back. But we all know that's never going to happen so we have to make do with the rubbish we have.

For Ipswich I'd go:

RB - Skuse

RCB - D wilson (havn't seen much of him but surely has to be better than whats been tried!)

LCB - McManus

LB - Cunningham

Although I know in reality this is unlikely and will more than likely be:

RB - Foster

RCB - Fontaine (undroppable captain)

LCB - Mcmanus

LB - Cunningham

After today, I'd go for:

Skuse, D Wilson, Bates/McManus, Cunningham

Out of everyone at the club I would probably play Skuse/Edwards RB, Carey and McManus CB, and Cunningham LB.

In an ideal world I would get rid of Foster, Nyatanga, Fontaine, Mark Wilson, and Bates and go and sign two new centre backs and a new right back. But we all know that's never going to happen so we have to make do with the rubbish we have.

For Ipswich I'd go:

RB - Skuse

RCB - D wilson (havn't seen much of him but surely has to be better than whats been tried!)

LCB - McManus

LB - Cunningham

Although I know in reality this is unlikely and will more than likely be:

RB - Foster

RCB - Fontaine (undroppable captain)

LCB - Mcmanus

LB - Cunningham

All in favour of dropping Foster and Fontaine :D Not so sure about Skuse on RB i thought he was too quiet last time he played there. I've always been a fan of Mark Wilson over Foster, he makes better runs off the ball and gets in better positions.

Skuse Carey D.Wilson Cunningham

THIS!! Skuse is the best right back we have, Carey puts 100% and plays with passion, something we don't see from any of the current back four. Wilson, Liverpool player who can't be any worse than Fontaine/McManus/Nyatanga and Cunningham is brilliant from what i've seen of him.

Carey RB.. no way.. would rather have Foster.. at least foster has pace and can cover..

What use is any pace if Foster can't make a tackle? Carey would at least be able to screen some of the threats, while Albert doesn't need anyone to over lap him. I've always thought Carey has been better at RB throughout his Career, but that's just my opinion.

I was thinking to myself seeing as we are playing like a league one team, there is plenty of defenders in league one who are better than the rubbish we have defending at the moment. Even when we were knocked out by Gillingham in fact, i seem to remember their defence held their own very well. The likes of Byron Webster at Yeovil seems to be more of a solid full back than our lot, but seeing as we have 7 central defenders already and we must justify 'value for money' i don't know why we haven't dipped into league one for reasonable players.

What would your ideal back four be?

I think there's been a misunderstanding of your post by some? I assume you are asking who would we like to see from the lower leagues in defence, not what is our best line-up at the moment.

Here's 3 names that I'd be interested to see us look at :

Luke Ayling - Right Back - Yeovil - 21 years old

Mark Ellis - Centre Back - Crewe - 24 years old, 6ft 2ins

Bondz Ngala - Centre Back - Stevenage - 23 years old, 6ft 2ins

A back four of Ayling - Ngala - Ellis - Cunningham

2 CB's who are dominant aerially and physical.

What use is any pace if Foster can't make a tackle? Carey would at least be able to screen some of the threats, while Albert doesn't need anyone to over lap him. I've always thought Carey has been better at RB throughout his Career, but that's just my opinion.

Just worries me with pacey wingers these days.. carey would be left behind before he knows it. Foster is dog crap imo. But he does have 1 thing going for him,, and thats his quickness

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Harry" data-cid="1682182" data-time="1355616286"><p>

I think there's been a misunderstanding of your post by some? I assume you are asking who would we like to see from the lower leagues in defence, not what is our best line-up at the moment.<br />

<br />

Here's 3 names that I'd be interested to see us look at :<br />

Luke Ayling - Right Back - Yeovil - 21 years old<br />

Mark Ellis - Centre Back - Crewe - 24 years old, 6ft 2ins<br />

Bondz Ngala - Centre Back - Stevenage - 23 years old, 6ft 2ins<br />

<br />

A back four of Ayling - Ngala - Ellis - Cunningham<br />

<br />

2 CB's who are dominant aerially and physical.</p></blockquote>

I think there's been a misunderstanding of your post by some? I assume you are asking who would we like to see from the lower leagues in defence, not what is our best line-up at the moment.<br />

<br />

Here's 3 names that I'd be interested to see us look at :<br />

Luke Ayling - Right Back - Yeovil - 21 years old<br />

Mark Ellis - Centre Back - Crewe - 24 years old, 6ft 2ins<br />

Bondz Ngala - Centre Back - Stevenage - 23 years old, 6ft 2ins<br />

<br />

A back four of Ayling - Ngala - Ellis - Cunningham<br />

<br />

2 CB's who are dominant aerially and physical.</p></blockquote>

You were right to think this, however it looks more realistic that we won't sign another back 4 so also put into question the back 4 we have ready. If we are looking for the cheaper option, certainly some league one players deserve a chance.

Just because D. Wilson is contracted to Liverpool does that automatically make him a good player? Christ, they have had some awful players representing them recently. They just got smashed at home to Villa for gods sake :laugh:

Yes, by Premier League Villa. Their entire squad are still better man-for-man than anything we have

Anyway, my choices, with no injuries would be [first choices named first].

Cunningham or Bryan; D Wilson or Bates; Carey or Nyatanga; Skuse or Edwards

It's a shocker even naming Tangs as one of the 4 possibles for central defence, but I did think he was at least trying when I saw him this season - and he's better than Fontaine is at present.

My back four would be

Edwards. Skuse. McManus. Cunningham

I've always believed skuse is better suited to playing central defence, alongside a ball winner like McManus. Skuse has all the attributes to make a good central defender; good pace, can tackle and although he's not a ball winner he's not exactly small. He actually made his debut for us at centre back and had a solid game.

Anythings worth a try at the moment...

Bates,nyatanga,j Wilson and Fontaine have all proved that they are not good enough either through a lack of form ala Fontaine or just the simple fact that they aren't good enough at this level.

I'd also like to see Edwards given a chance, he's highly rated down at Yeovil and has always looked solid when playing for us, and lets face it, it cannot get much worse than foster who again was a liability yesterday.

Archived