IGNORED

Bates

Ciderstreet

Still can't believe he never took of Fontaine in a straight swap.

Subs yesterday were baffling,

Cunningham for bates - should of been Fontaine.

Davies for Taylor - stead would of been better for all second half just kicked it long.

Stead for Bryan - should of been Pearson or Anderson who came on. No way is stead a lw.

Baffling decision really, McManus and Bates have played together at Middlesbrough and have a good understanding, as well as offering a natural balance to the team with a left foot/right footed centre back partnership. Bates has been chased by Premier League clubs in the past and in my opinion has looked solid enough since joining, yet he is the one taken off instead of our captain who once again was playing abysmally.

I like Liam and believe he cares about the club but Del really needs to put him out of his misery and drop him to the bench. I'm not sure what has caused him to become such a poor player for such a long amount of time this season but at the moment he should be our 6th choice CB behind Bates, McManus, D.Wilson, J.Wilson and Carey.

mcinnes on player says that he wanted the fullbacks to get forward more and ask more questions of derby, fair enough but then you do have to wonder why he didnt just bring off fontaine, and then in the 2nd half (if he wanted more threat down the left) why he put stead out wide instead of using anderson or pearson. but what do i know

more than likely took off Bates instead of Fontaine as if you take of the captain it sends the message if were taking off the captain, supposedly one of the best in the team its not great for morale. Problem is all the fans can see how badly Fontaine is playing anyway.

Should have been a straight swap Cunningham for Fontaine, as others have said Bates/McManus old Boro partnership, left/right foot combo etc would have been better.

Davies on when Taylor had to come off I can understand, striker off bring on your top goal scorer, fair enough.

Stead for Bryan!?!?!?! didn't think Bryan had done bad comparing to the rest, agree what people said though that he didn't get forward enough, so fair in him coming off but for Stead?? I just assumed Davies would go out and be an attacking left winger, but Stead out there?? what is this Millen's book for managerial strategies?! When Anderson and Pearson both sat on the bench who likely would have been far more effective it was puzzling to say the least.

Bates wasn't playing well, some hopeless punts up field just before going off. Who knows if he's fully fit either? Fontaine might well have been worse but the fans would have erupted into a massive ironic cheer to send him on his way, not something the team needed at that stage. Fontaine needs to be left out of the team completely rather than being humiliated by early substitution.

Davies for Taylor was an easy one, at two goals down you have to provide more goal threat and Stead provides only marginally more than Taylor.

Bryan was knackered, it's not the first time he's been subbed at that stage of the game. He'd done OK, but nothing special, and let's be careful not exaggerate his performance just because he's young and local. No problem with him being taken off - perhaps Del also thought he didn't deserve the near inevitable jeers at the end of the game - but bringing Stead on rather than Anderson is a move the manager really should feel obliged to explain.

The day Fontaine is stripped of the captaincy and dropped is the day our fortunes will turn... it may shatter his confidence but for crying out loud this is a team game.. I am sure Del, with all his motivational skills as a manager, can cushion the blow. He would anyway, and as many have said, be doing the lad a huge favour in the process not that that should be the main consideration.

Right now it baffles us all why he is still in the team; perhaps he simply wants to get sacked before the year is out.

Just on that substitution. Would it not have made more sense to take Fontaine off, drop Bryan into LB and bring Anderson on LM? Last thing we wanna do it rush Cunningham back and see him out longer. Heart in mouth moment when Cunningham got munched sat, thought his ankle buckled. Thankfully it didn't but still was a nasty tackle.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="I BELIEVE" data-cid="1682792" data-time="1355699174"><p>

Just on that substitution. Would it not have made more sense to take Fontaine off, drop Bryan into LB and bring Anderson on LM? Last thing we wanna do it rush Cunningham back and see him out longer. Heart in mouth moment when Cunningham got munched sat, thought his ankle buckled. Thankfully it didn't but still was a nasty tackle.</p></blockquote>

Don't be so ridiculous. We would never do something that sensible!

I would rather have seen Fontaine go off.

But if I'm McInnes, I would be thinking that I'm using up one substitute before half time, and Bates is more injury prone.

You wouldn't want to use up two subs on your central defensive partnership.

The test of whether this was his thinking will be whether Saturday sees Fontaine start or not.

Edit - deleted quote; had picked the wrong one.

Having watched the 2 goals again Both centre halfs defending is appalling. Pick any one from 'ball watching', 'wrong side' and 'not tracking runners' in addition to Foster not getting close enough to stop the crosses. Bates also at fault for other goals this season i.e. Brighton

Taking off a right sided ex premier league centre half to leave 2 left sided on centre halfs. Genius Derek, genius

Well, it has to be said Bates AND McManus were utterly shite. The goals conceded were appalling, they looked bad at the time and seeing them again the two of them are equally culpable. I presume Bates was selected for the hook as he's not a first ball centre back and apparently McManus has leadership qualities!

Has McManus ever played a decent game for us?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Roger Red Hat" data-cid="1683395" data-time="1355826169"><p>

<br />

Well, it has to be said Bates AND McManus were utterly shite. The goals conceded were appalling, they looked bad at the time and seeing them again the two of them are equally culpable. I presume Bates was selected for the hook as he's not a first ball centre back and apparently McManus has leadership qualities!<br />

Has McManus ever played a decent game for us?</p></blockquote>

agree with this, both are terrible. I didn't see why we brought McManus back - for me he did nothing last time. Boro must be laughing their heads off getting shot of those two and getting Bikey in.

And before anyone says I know Bikey earned too much but I bet it was less than McManus Bates MWilson and JWilson combined.... And they all appear surplus.

Archived