IGNORED

High Viz Keepers Kit

Rich

Someone said to me the other day that, theyre not surprised we have so many goals against us because our keeper and subsequently our goal is being highlighted by the HIgh Viz Kit the keeper wears. After a little thought, I had to agree that wearing something so visible is possibly not the best thing to be wearing as a Goalkeeper. Just immagine that as a striker you're within shooting distance of the goal and you get a glimpse of an illuminous orange or pink blob, you don't need to double check to know where the goal is. The same applies to anybody crossing the ball.

I know that our players can also see where the keeper is but, is that more to our advantage, or would it be better if the opposition had to try a bit harder to see where our goal was, in the split second that they get before shooting or crossing.

Is this yet another poor decision taken, when it comes to assistting the team in getting results, when every decision is important?

I know people will come on here and have a laugh and take the piss but, every decision taken about kit, ballboys, training, boots, or whatever, is important. So why don't we place more importance on the little decisions as well as the bigger picture, they can all help to win games.

Someone said to me the other day that, theyre not surprised we have so many goals against us because our keeper and subsequently our goal is being highlighted by the HIgh Viz Kit the keeper wears. After a little thought, I had to agree that wearing something so visible is possibly not the best thing to be wearing as a Goalkeeper. Just immagine that as a striker you're within shooting distance of the goal and you get a glimpse of an illuminous orange or pink blob, you don't need to double check to know where the goal is. The same applies to anybody crossing the ball.

I know that our players can also see where the keeper is but, is that more to our advantage, or would it be better if the opposition had to try a bit harder to see where our goal was, in the split second that they get before shooting or crossing.

Is this yet another poor decision taken, when it comes to assistting the team in getting results, when every decision is important?

I know people will come on here and have a laugh and take the piss but, every decision taken about kit, ballboys, training, boots, or whatever, is important. So why don't we place more importance on the little decisions as well as the bigger picture, they can all help to win games.

This has been done before.

But to answer. Findings into this subject show orange makes you appear bigger, and draws you to shoot at it, rather than away from it into the corners. Theory is, strikers hit the ball nearer the keeper. Or are put off.

This has been done before.

But to answer. Findings into this subject show orange makes you appear bigger, and draws you to shoot at it, rather than away from it into the corners. Theory is, strikers hit the ball nearer the keeper. Or are put off.

But what if the strikers didn't see it in the first place?

I understand the theory if you're in front of goal with the keeper to beat but, if shots are going in from distance, there is an awful lot of discrepancy in where the ball can end up after it leaves the boot. I feel it might be better not to highlight the center of the target, which is where the keeper should be if he's got his angles right. Orange might make you look bigger but why illuminous and what if you aint bigger?

But what if the strikers didn't see it in the first place?

I understand the theory if you're in front of goal with the keeper to beat but, if shots are going in from distance, there is an awful lot of discrepancy in where the ball can end up after it leaves the boot. I feel it might be better not to highlight the center of the target, which is where the keeper should be if he's got his angles right. Orange might make you look bigger but why illuminous and what if you aint bigger?

Something you'll have to ask of those who carried out the study. As a striker, I always had the instinct to aim at the posts or just inside, keeper never came into the equation for me. Generally the ball went wide or in, keeper rarely got to shots the way I took aim.

Unfortunately for me, wide was normally the outcome :)

I remember many years ago reading an article where the opposition striker claimed he saw from the corner of his eyes the shine on City keeper John Shaw's bald head, reflecting the floodlights. So he knew where Shaw was and subsequently scored.

I remember that too. Lobbed him because he could see Shaw off his line !! Not sure but Hereford player rings a bell.

Archived