IGNORED

Bristol Sport Article In Bep

Super

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Bristol-sport-fans-bad/story-17635294-detail/story.html

NOVEMBER 18, 2006 – Tony Blair was Prime Minister, Daniel Craig's debut as James Bond had just been released and Steve McClaren was three months into his reign as England manager.

It was also the last time Bristol City, Bristol Rovers and Bristol Rugby all won on the same weekend

Shocking Stat if this is correct!

That is an interesting and well written article. The stat about 2006 is amazing!

Isn't your ice hockey team in trouble too? Closing the rink or something, a friend of mine was saying.

The ice hockey team is a good example of sport in Bristol. No one cares about it in big enough numbers for it to be viable. Mainly because no one knows about it

The only thing Bristolians make a fuss of is failure. Too many assume that because Bristol is genuinely a great place, our sports teams should do well. It doesnt work like that in the real world.

There are other factors. Bristol isn't a cheap place to live, and there's so much to do people with a casual interest in a sport can find plenty of excuses not to go. I'm as guilty as anyone. I love rugby league, and follow Bristol Sonics results but have I gone and actually watched a game? No. There is an actuall healthy passing interest in Rugby League in these parts, but like everything non of us go. I catch a couple of Wigan games a year instead. This is exactly like casual football fans in Bristol watching the odd prem game a season. It's rife.

That is an interesting and well written article. The stat about 2006 is amazing!

Isn't your ice hockey team in trouble too? Closing the rink or something, a friend of mine was saying.

Gone for ever me old mate ...going to be pulled down for flats apaprently...........gone along with many other "Iconic" Bristle places and institutions (even the ferry boats in the docks are gone now) ....and the main problem is that there is nothing to replace them because everytime someone tries to do something to drag Bristol forward it gets blocked by a small handfull of green Nimby's or the like and I am not just talking about the stadium..............this city is now rife with liberal crap and full of people too scared to suggest anything forward thinking because they know it will be a waste of their money and stopped at first hurdle........sadly the footy is reflecting that downward trend..........for both teams

F#*king ace if you ride a pushbike though........

The ice hockey team is a good example of sport in Bristol. No one cares about it in big enough numbers for it to be viable. Mainly because no one knows about it

The only thing Bristolians make a fuss of is failure. Too many assume that because Bristol is genuinely a great place, our sports teams should do well. It doesnt work like that in the real world.

There are other factors. Bristol isn't a cheap place to live, and there's so much to do people with a casual interest in a sport can find plenty of excuses not to go. I'm as guilty as anyone. I love rugby league, and follow Bristol Sonics results but have I gone and actually watched a game? No. There is an actuall healthy passing interest in Rugby League in these parts, but like everything non of us go. I catch a couple of Wigan games a year instead. This is exactly like casual football fans in Bristol watching the odd prem game a season. It's rife.

I'm not sure there is more to do in Bristol than Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff, Newcastle, Leeds etc though. Likewise, if Bristol City get promoted, that won't be because there is suddenly less competing leisure activites in the city.

I think it's just one of those things. Bristol City could easily be in the premier league, had you won the play off final. Likewise, Gloucestershire CCC are a top county side sometimes. Rovers strike me as underperfoming, and likewise Bristol rugby club, but it's not so long ago that they were in the Heineken Cup.

Bristol has an American Football side to called the Aztecs. Being an American Football fan, I wouldnt mind going to watch them but will they last? As sport in Bristol really isn't high on the agenda it seems. Just have to say Bristol has an awesome music scene, other than football THIS is the reason I travel from the hills!

I'm not sure there is more to do in Bristol than Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff, Newcastle, Leeds etc though. Likewise, if Bristol City get promoted, that won't be because there is suddenly less competing leisure activites in the city.

I think it's just one of those things. Bristol City could easily be in the premier league, had you won the play off final. Likewise, Gloucestershire CCC are a top county side sometimes. Rovers strike me as underperfoming, and likewise Bristol rugby club, but it's not so long ago that they were in the Heineken Cup.

The location Bristol finds itself in makes it far different to any of those places

its not just Bristol, sport in the whole region is at an all time low, in the early 90's City, Rovers and Plymouth were 2nd tier teams who were competing well at that level. Swindon even had a season in the Premier League and came close to promotion to the top flight a few other times. the 3 local Rugby teams were all top teams in the country. the last 15 or so years it has been a sad state of affairs, on the football side of things i would go as far as call it embarrassing. for many years the biggest footballing talking point in the region was a 3rd tier mid table clash between City and Rovers.

adding to what was mentioned above, i think it shocking that the ice rink has closed down. i have to be honest i had no idea Bristol had an ice hockey team, maybe they could have been better advertised but to lose something like this is quite a loss. Cardiff is a smaller City than Bristol but has so much more to offer for sporting/music venues.

Archived