IGNORED

Joe Edwards - Give Him A Chance

Bowie

Anyone else think it's about time we gave Joe Edwards a chance to prove himself at the Club.

He's come into the team a few times and played the odd game and always impressed me, Yeovil Town are already stating that they want him back in Jan if he's available so he is obviously doing something good down the road, so how about we give him a chance over xmas period.

We currently need a Right Back

Mark Wilson - simply unfit, terrible injury issues and has done nothing to impress and will no doubt be gone in coming weeks.

Foster - personally the less said the better, I can't believe we paid a few for the bloke.

Carey - Legs struggling but if fit then needed at Centre Half and for me still our best option in central defence (which says it all really)

Skuse - Only other suitable option at Right back but appears Derek wants him in the middle with Danns in a 2.

Last game this weekend at Yeovil, so lets actually give the lad a run in the team, defensively we are a joke and I'd much rather see the likes of Edwards giving 110% and maybe lacking ability, than some of the current shower of crap we have who have limited ability and giving 60% (and that's being kind)

I'm sure this will be too much common sense for Derek to grasp, views.....

Considering that he's still relatively young, and our current defensive fragility, yes.

I don't agree. We'd only sign a player from Yeovil if we thought he'd develop into a strong Championship player.

From what I've seen Edwards doesn't offer that prospect.

I really don't see why everyone dislikes Foster so much; he's an average player but he's managed to maintain that mediocrity while others around him have been garbage. That said, I'd give Edwards a try; can't see what we particularly have to use

Damned with faint praise.

Nice use of alliteration.

Nowhere near as good as your effort but I'll try best of a bad bunch.

I really don't see why everyone dislikes Foster so much; he's an average player but he's managed to maintain that mediocrity while others around him have been garbage. That said, I'd give Edwards a try; can't see what we particularly have to use

I thought Foster was the Derby Man of the Match!! If only for the number of completed passes to a derby player. :angry:

I think the kindest you can be about Foster is that he is actually a better player than he looks. At times his abysmal first touch and inability to pass the ball six yards make you wonder how he is even a professional, let alone how he has played the amount of games he has in his career. At his best, he does get forward and create space for Albert by dragging players with him and his pace does usually make up for his childish positioning defensively. There was a passage of play last Saturday that summed him up for me. The ball was delivered from our left and his poor positioning meant that it looked like Derby would score, but Foster to his credit got back in the nick of time and intercepted the ball. He then made an ethusiastic run and, unlike many of our other players (Albert excluded), gave Heaton an option to throw the ball to. Heaton finds Foster with a perfect throw and then Ricky's terrible first touch immediately puts him in trouble.

In his two starts for City (both dead last day of the season games) Joe Edwards has looked a decent player. He was excellent two years ago against Hull (think he was awarded motm?), and although he made a few sloppy errors in possession at Turf Moor at the end of last season he still looked solid defensively. If he has improved on the ball (as you would have assumed he would playing regularly in midfield for Yeovil) and is as steady in defence as he has looked in his two starts than there is no reason for me that he shouldn't be challenging Foster for the shirt considering how poor Foster has been in the last few weeks.

I do however accept that the manager and coaching staff would have more evidence than me to decide whether Edwards is good enough to play regularly in this division.

I don't agree. We'd only sign a player from Yeovil if we thought he'd develop into a strong Championship player.

From what I've seen Edwards doesn't offer that prospect.

Judging by the fact that he's still contracted to the club, at some point the scouts/coaches must have believed that he could develop into a good player with us.

Couple of Yeovil fans on their forum

"I think he has been excellent for us. Great attitude and a decent player at this level. I think he is more suited to League one football, I hope we would keep him but I have a feeling a bigger club may come in for him. Whenever I have seen him play he seems to do a great job in both positions, really hard to tell which he is best at."

"Joe has done brilliantly down here, he's a very consistent performer and would love to be able to keep him for longer, who knows even permanently."

I think he is worth a shot. He is at an age now where its now or never for us, a bit like James Wilson. However if he doesn't force his way in on a regular basis soon I think he will end up moving on. He can't be any worse than Mark Wilson or Foster at present.

Give him a chance and if he doesn't take it then fair enough, but I don't see why Foster should be given chance after chance to be consistently poor.

I have seen all Joe's home appearances for Yeovil. GJ has played him at right and left back, right midfield and centre midfield filling in gaps for injuries and suspensions.He always is fitted in somewhere. It is true he shines in an average Div 1 side but i am afraid he would not displace any current city player in those positions and i have seen all but one City home game. He is obviously fit and enjoying playing every week and is making noises that he is likely to return in January, he has to go back after Saturday because of the loan rules. He is out of contract at the end of the season so his chat with Del on Monday will decide things.

I anticipate Jamie McAllister and Gavin Williams will soon have him as a regular team mate, GJ would love to have him.

Hope that helps.

Archived