IGNORED

A City Club Shop In The City Centre?

hippy273

I was in Birmingham not too long ago and I've noticed there's an Aston Villa club shop in the Bullring, How do we not have a club shop in the city centre if we ever hope to make any more money or raise awareness of the club? It could well be asking for vandalism from the gas but £40 million in debt we have to start somewhere. I think the closest we have come in advertising even is Tony Robinson on the radio telling you to back the boys :D

I've long argued that my club (cardiff) should do this..in Cardiff city centre obviously.

They could do well, but the key thing is to make it serve not just as a shop, but also a place where people can call in for information, buy tickets etc..at quiet times, have someone outside handing out fixture lists.

Also, a city centre shop, with a well designed shop front is basically a big advert for any football club as well. Even if people walk by, they will clock it, they'll realise 'this is Bristol CIty' territory, their awareness of the club would increase.

One way round it, would be to share the rent and rates with another sports club (Bristol Rugby I guess) or with whoever makes your shirts, and sell non BCFC stuff too.

Brand awareness is really important. You walk through Bristol and you'd have no idea that Bristol City exist. The same goes for Cardiff City over here.

I've long argued that my club (cardiff) should do this..in Cardiff city centre obviously.

They could do well, but the key thing is to make it serve not just as a shop, but also a place where people can call in for information, buy tickets etc..at quiet times, have someone outside handing out fixture lists.

Also, a city centre shop, with a well designed shop front is basically a big advert for any football club as well. Even if people walk by, they will clock it, they'll realise 'this is Bristol CIty' territory, their awareness of the club would increase.

One way round it, would be to share the rent and rates with another sports club (Bristol Rugby I guess) or with whoever makes your shirts, and sell non BCFC stuff too.

Brand awareness is really important. You walk through Bristol and you'd have no idea that Bristol City exist. The same goes for Cardiff City over here.

My thoughts exactly.

• Admin
We did.

Amazing as it would be for the club to have a prominent shop at the entrance to Cabot Circus, non online retail is dying on its arse. It would be a loss maker.

Remember that shop, it displayed the new champagne away kit one season before it's official launch - few slapped wrists that day

The Villa shop looks very big and is dead handy for all travellers, it's just outside the bullring but on the route from New Street into the city centre.

On the flip side, Birmingham City had one in the pallasades, which I'd say is to the Bull Ring what the Galleries is to Cabot, although that it attatched to new street it wasn't conviniently placed

Villa have alot of fans that travel a distance to watch them from what I gather so Birmingham City Centre benifits them

Liverpool have a shop in Chester - an area they have a strong hold

Could we perhaps learn from them and have 2 or 3 small shops in 'City Suburbs' they could sell limited stock but would be dead handy for people out shopping locally.

I was in Cardiff a couple of weeks ago and there were at least 3 shops very rugby orientated. There was even a shop in the main shopping centre selling tickets for the rugby internationals, you didn't even have to go to the Stadium to get tickets , and it's hardly any distance from the shops is it. Maybe the football teams can learn from this?

I didn't see any Cardiff city stuff, well I didn't notice anything. But maybe I was looking for blue and should have been noticing red ha ha!!

We did a joint venture with the rugby and the gas for a while in the Galleries, it failed. The shop before that failed too.

Online shopping is killing major high street chains like HMV etc - it makes no viable sense for a club to even attempt it any more - wouldn't be suprised if we scaled down the actual shop at AG and pushed everything online.

We did a joint venture with the rugby and the gas for a while in the Galleries, it failed. The shop before that failed too.

Online shopping is killing major high street chains like HMV etc - it makes no viable sense for a club to even attempt it any more - wouldn't be suprised if we scaled down the actual shop at AG and pushed everything online.

It was reported this week that although November spending hadn't increased at all, the shops benifiting are ones with Stores AND Online shops.

We do have the superstore I appreciate this, but that also involves having only one 'depot' for shipping stuff out, the club is cutting itself short IMO.

I'm not a business expert though - I guess its not that easy to minimise outgoings from a shop

It was reported this week that although November spending hadn't increased at all, the shops benifiting are ones with Stores AND Online shops.

We do have the superstore I appreciate this, but that also involves having only one 'depot' for shipping stuff out, the club is cutting itself short IMO.

I'm not a business expert though - I guess its not that easy to minimise outgoings from a shop

I think the traditional values of shops, I.e. great customer service, staff who know their products, shops willing to barter or discount and give decent warranties on their products will be okay. Your usual high street shops with oik sales assistants will die as people turn to online shopping.

You only have to looks at how well John Lewis are doing, and how well they have always done. Great customer service ensures people go back. Comet et al could really take a look at JL to see how to run a profit making shop.

I think the traditional values of shops, I.e. great customer service, staff who know their products, shops willing to barter or discount and give decent warranties on their products will be okay. Your usual high street shops with oik sales assistants will die as people turn to online shopping.

You only have to looks at how well John Lewis are doing, and how well they have always done. Great customer service ensures people go back. Comet et al could really take a look at JL to see how to run a profit making shop.

Exactly!

However John Lewis is aspirational, places like Comet, HMV & the city mega store, sadly, are not.

Could possibly set up one of the portable shops we have like the one by the dolman/ateyo corner.

sells basic things and could also do tickets, surely wouldnt cost too much?

The problem is the actuall cost of the floor space. Like Nibor pointed out, 70K rent for a shop, I'd be surprised if a portable shop at Cabot would be 50% less.

Millenium Square was highlighted as having the highest amount of retail space vacant in the country - %82. The reason was the high rent.

There is a reason why commercial landlords charge so much, but I've actually forgotten why....(Its not purely about profit)

I used to work for them, there is no doubt that they go back to basics and get it spot on everytime. Everything else is just plain sailing and that is the secret to their success.

The problem is the actuall cost of the floor space. Like Nibor pointed out, 70K rent for a shop, I'd be surprised if a portable shop at Cabot would be 50% less.

Millenium Square was highlighted as having the highest amount of retail space vacant in the country - %82. The reason was the high rent.

There is a reason why commercial landlords charge so much, but I've actually forgotten why....(Its not purely about profit)

I don't think I've ever seen a city shirt sold anywhere else other than our club shop, but come to think of it didn't the JJB sports in Cabot circus close down a few months back? The rent probably cost an arm and a leg.

When I went on holiday to Antalya in Turkey, the Mrs and I went to a new shopping centre called TerraCity. They had a Fenerbahce club shop called Fenerium. It was very smart and really busy. I was speaking to a Turkish guy back at the hotel and he said that basically everyone in Turkey supports one of the big 3 (Fenerbahce, Galatasaray or Besiktas) as well as their local team, in this case would be Antalyaspor. Whilst in the centre of Antalya I went to the stadium and their club shop was a little building which didn't even have their shirt on sale. I thought that It was a bit sad that Fenerbache had stores all over Turkey whilst the local club had a pathetic little shop at their ground. Sadly I think a Manchester United or Liverpool shop would be far more successful in the centre of Bristol than a City one.

On sky sports news lately they have shown a few clips of some Scottish sports people at Glasgow airport and in the background you can see a Celtic shop. Maybe a small pop up kiosk type store at Bristol airport may be profitable for Bristol City and/or Bristol Rugby??

In Liverpool both clubs have city centre shops, as does villa, these clubs are massive in comparison to us and I think it is an aspiration and to have two club shops is a luxury we cannot really afford at this time. I think a city centre shop would do good business, simply because it would open up a market to tourists and to first time city fans and fans of the future.

There should be a city, gas, bristol rugby and, why not, FGR shop combined. That would make for interesting banter.

I should add, however, that it would probably need a coffee outlet with lunch time snacks to ensure it just about breaks even.

Might need some bouncers on the door to separate the fans buying shirts :D

It peeves me greatly that in every sports shop in Bristol you can Man Yoo, Chelski, Barce, celtic etc etc shirts but not a City shirt (crap as this years is) How are we to appeal outside of Ashton Gate? A physical shop is too much, but surely we could get a rack in St. James Park... I mean Sports Direct.com Arena???

Archived