IGNORED

The Half Way Stage

robc

Now that we are exactly at the half way stage of the Season, it is interesting to see what the Statistics (if anything) for the last 3 Seasons can tell us about City’s fight to avoid the drop. I have picked the last 3 because in each one we have had a spell at the very bottom of the table - leaving 24th place after 13 games in 2010/11, after 14 in 2011/12 and after 17 in the current campaign (with a fair chance that we will return there if we continue our abysmal home form against Watford and Peterborough this coming week!)

In 2010/11 we had managed 27 points after 23 games and were placed 19th. Last Season it was 21 points at the half way stage and we were one position above the bottom three (21st). This Season we have managed only 19 points and are placed 23rd.

So this Season is the worst of the 3 so far and even matching the 28 points we managed in the last 23 games last Season this time around would not guarantee us avoiding the drop. (Sheffield Wednesday, for example, went down with 47 points a couple of Seasons back).

What is for sure is that we are going to have to play a hell of a lot better for the rest of the Season, especially at home, if we are going to stay up. To believe that you have to cling to the hope that something is going to change to produce better performances all round - as more of the same means certain relegation.

If we are not going to change Managers (and that looks increasingly unlikely) we have to change at least some of the players in the January window. If Derek McInnes fails to make some impressive additions to our Squad in the coming weeks – and finally addresses the problems we have in both Central Defence and Midfield – I fear it will ultimately cost him his job and our hard earned place in the Championship. For our part, we just have to keep believing – which, of course, we’ll always do!

Now that we are exactly at the half way stage of the Season, it is interesting to see what the Statistics (if anything) for the last 3 Seasons can tell us about City’s fight to avoid the drop. I have picked the last 3 because in each one we have had a spell at the very bottom of the table - leaving 24th place after 13 games in 2010/11, after 14 in 2011/12 and after 17 in the current campaign (with a fair chance that we will return there if we continue our abysmal home form against Watford and Peterborough this coming week!)

In 2010/11 we had managed 27 points after 23 games and were placed 19th. Last Season it was 21 points at the half way stage and we were one position above the bottom three (21st). This Season we have managed only 19 points and are placed 23rd.

So this Season is the worst of the 3 so far and even matching the 28 points we managed in the last 23 games last Season this time around would not guarantee us avoiding the drop. (Sheffield Wednesday, for example, went down with 47 points a couple of Seasons back).

What is for sure is that we are going to have to play a hell of a lot better for the rest of the Season, especially at home, if we are going to stay up. To believe that you have to cling to the hope that something is going to change to produce better performances all round - as more of the same means certain relegation.

If we are not going to change Managers (and that looks increasingly unlikely) we have to change at least some of the players in the January window. If Derek McInnes fails to make some impressive additions to our Squad in the coming weeks – and finally addresses the problems we have in both Central Defence and Midfield – I fear it will ultimately cost him his job and our hard earned place in the Championship. For our part, we just have to keep believing – which, of course, we’ll always do!

Good post.

I am in the camp that says changing the manager may not change a thing. Changing the dodgy central defence and dodgy central midfield with better players may change a lot.

No good a new manager playing the same dodgy players. Mcinnes has made that mistake.

Good post.

I am in the camp that says changing the manager may not change a thing. Changing the dodgy central defence and dodgy central midfield with better players may change a lot.

No good a new manager playing the same dodgy players. Mcinnes has made that mistake.

So you'd trust Del with sigining better players? Well, no he might sign better players...but put them on the bench.

Good post and some good comments. Having followed City for many, many years, from the old Div 1 days all the way to the basement and back, I think all we can do is keep cheering 'em on ( if we've not got too pi##sed off already ) and remember "whatever will be will be"...fate will always play its' part. If we are meant to stay up we will, if we aint, we wont. Simples.

Archived