IGNORED

We Have A Very Rich Chairman.

marksy

What comes to mind when you think of a team with a very rich chairman ? Perhaps Chelsea or even Manchester City. Teams that are pushing for success and at the top end of the table. At Bristol City, we supposedly have a very rich chairman, but look at us as a team. I'm not talking about just this season but over the past three years or so. We are in a total mess! Second from bottom and losing at home every game now. When was the last time you went to Ashton Gate anticipating a home victory ? It looks like we'll be playing the likes of Brentford and Port Vale next season. But remember, we're privileged to have our very rich chairman ?

What comes to mind when you think of a team with a very rich chairman ? Perhaps Chelsea or even Manchester City. Teams that are pushing for success and at the top end of the table. At Bristol City, we supposedly have a very rich chairman, but look at us as a team. I'm not talking about just this season but over the past three years or so. We are in a total mess! Second from bottom and losing at home every game now. When was the last time you went to Ashton Gate anticipating a home victory ? It looks like we'll be playing the likes of Brentford and Port Vale next season. But remember, we're privileged to have our very rich chairman ?

I think SL would happily invest a lot more money in City if we had the infrastructure in place. From I can tell, everyone at the club is working hard to try and achieve that.

The players have finally completely move out of Ashton Gate for training now, so that's one piece of the puzzle complete, the next one will be get conferencing and the stadium in place, and we all know the situation behind that.

My personal opinion is that Steve would be a lot of more generous if we made it to the Premier league also, but he doesn't (and understandably) want to go "all in" to try and achieve that - and I say fair play to him.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas everyone.

What's the point in this thread? Slagging off Steve?

Steve is it, what is he your mate ? The point of this thread ! I'm sick to death of watching Bristol City lose EVERY GAME at home. Never mind we have a rich chairman and we'll be playing in a brand new stadium soooooooooooooooon Yea, yea, yea.

There is a fine line between chairman investment and being a soft touch for high earning journeymen ripping us off. I would rather see us invest in young players that may hold there value, or potentially increase in value with a sprinkling of experienced hard working pros.

The route that Hull took when they beat us in the POF was laudible, but their fall back and astronomical wages was like a noose around their kneck.

We need the stadium issue sorted ASAP, survive in this league and continue to develop the infrastructure surrounding the club.

A perfect example of this model is WBA.

Nobody "gives" money for nothing. They are all long term loans. One way or another they will get thier money back or the club will go out of business. I'd rather have a league one club over no club at all.

What a Christmas Day thread. Someone was on the naughty list.

I suppose it's subjective, which way you look at it.

Mr Lansdown has been a generous benefactor without whom, there may not still be a club to support...

You could argue, of course, that Joe average, the man in the street who's earning less than the average wage (like me) and supports the club by season ticket and the occasional away match, is spending, proportionally, more of his income on BCFC than Mr Lansdown.

There are many pieces to the jigsaw which make up a successful football club, and we have many missing. the club's problems are so deep rooted that it won't be sorted out in a hurry although progress (off the field, at any rate) is being made.

We're all frustrated, angry and fed up with our current plight, that stating the bleeding obvious, but having a go at the man who bankrolls this club is a cheap and unnecessary shot in my opinion.
The people letting this club down are the players and responsibility for our position lies squarely on their shoulders.
They showed last season they were capable eventually, and too many of them are only doing it when it suits them. You can argue the manager is at fault as well, but really, there is no excuse for a lack of effort and desire, which has been all too evident this season. Professional pride should ensure they at least try. How's that in any way down to Mr Lansdown?

I suppose it's subjective, which way you look at it.

Mr Lansdown has been a generous benefactor without whom, there may not still be a club to support...

You could argue, of course, that Joe average, the man in the street who's earning less than the average wage (like me) and supports the club by season ticket and the occasional away match, is spending, proportionally, more of his income on BCFC than Mr Lansdown.

There are many pieces to the jigsaw which make up a successful football club, and we have many missing. the club's problems are so deep rooted that it won't be sorted out in a hurry although progress (off the field, at any rate) is being made.

We're all frustrated, angry and fed up with our current plight, that stating the bleeding obvious, but having a go at the man who bankrolls this club is a cheap and unnecessary shot in my opinion.

The people letting this club down are the players and responsibility for our position lies squarely on their shoulders.

They showed last season they were capable eventually, and too many of them are only doing it when it suits them. You can argue the manager is at fault as well, but really, there is no excuse for a lack of effort and desire, which has been all too evident this season. Professional pride should ensure they at least try. How's that in any way down to Mr Lansdown?

spasmcasm, the problem here is that you have tried to rebuke the OP with a well reasoned and thoughtful post.

Most of the 42m that is owed to SL has been wasted on wages for poor players.

He has backed his managers opinion each season as they are supposed to be the ones that know how good a player really is........NOT!!!

How many poor players did GJ bring in on loan or renew lucrative contracts when they were obviously not up to Championship standard.

Who did the research on Hunt, Stewart, Clarkson before we signed them.....3 very poor decisions.

SL has trusted 'experts' as you would in any walk of business life, not his fault that the experts were wrong.

BCAGFC

You are right Keith Dawe is a very rich man. Steve Lansdown is, I believe, much wealthier though :read:

not sure what the point of the original post is - do you think SL should spunk even more of his money on the club? I think the reason he's so well off in the first place is because he is pretty savvy. It's very easy for people to dictate what those with more than them should do, frankly though, he's done more than enough for the club already and if he's had enough then that's his prerogative. Out of interest OP, how much have you plunged into the club? Personally, I think it'd benefit everyone if he walked and we tried to find a more sustainable way of running the club.

I got this far and had to correct something, the club was running at 1-2 million debt per year roughly before SL, this has been proven so many times on this board it's not worth repeating ( probably cant since the official site changed either, grrr)

But yeah your statement is complete hyperbole. It simply isnt true and suggests that we have to have some miraclous gratitude for, erm Im not sure what?

I take your point, and SL isn't above criticism, he has certainly made mistakes.

I think though to blame him for just about everything is misplaced and unfair when others clearly are not doing their jobs. I don't dispute the losses were less prior to him taking over, but he chased what he thought was a realistic goal which turned around and bit us on the ass. Had he have done nothing, people (and I suspect you, sir) would be criticising him for not showing any ambition.

I don't advocate miraculous gratitude as you put it, because I believe that unless something fundamental changes in the fabric of the club, his tenure will be shown to have failed. But there are many cogs in the machine which simply are not functioning and there are many other people who don't seem able to face up to their responsibilities.

I feel your frustration Marksy... came out a bit wrong in your post though :surrender: Steve has invested a 5hi1t load in the clubs future, cash he will never see again, but DMc is in your corner i think, why not?, if you can persuade SL to sign players Bullard on 50k per week and a 5m fee then congrats, do you want a job?

A few posters on here have said that we were running small losses before SL; and that SL chased the dream....

I'm no money man, but to me, it doesn't seem like either.

Yes, we were probably losing 1-2 million a year in Leagues 1 and 2, but I just think football clubs nowadays fully expect to lose money every year. That's just a fact. It's going to happen. I think we are just lucky to have what seems a reliable Bristolian to write these debts off.

The gulf between the top championship clubs and us is widening, by our falling gate receipts, inflexible player salaries and it also seems - difficulty in attracting nationally recognised sponsors.

So has SL chased a dream? Well he might have a dream to get is in the PL, but has he gone for it? Or just kept us afloat? Or is he also trying to make money from us as well?!

Buying a Championship club can be a good strategy to make money. Has that club a good catchment area that has a fan base that can be expanded? Yes. A modern stadium? Hopefully... A team with potential? I'd hope do.

But making us more investable in these three areas takes money to make money. This is where our losses have come from. Some have worked out, some have backfired or taken a long time to come off. Poor business decisions or just bad luck? I'm not so sure...

Now im sure SL gets a lot of kudos locally and nationally for his work with us and the egg chasers. His businesses have a connection the City and many local corporations could work with him... Manchester United for example, during its 132-year history, have been owned by a local brewer, a clothing manufacturer and a butcher. So it's not all thank you thank you thank you, he is also making money from us and in a way, using us!

What I'm trying to say through this hangover is yes thank you Steve for bailing us out, but I don't think he chased the dream hard enough (if that was his intention). He is making us into an investable club - for his own benefit? Or the club? Or both? He will be ok whatever happens!

Leave Sir Lansdown alone!

He has always said he will not put all his money into City

But he has always said he will protect us from debt

It is his money, and to make us feel secure is great of him

I don't see anybody else coming forward with money

The GASH are in a lot worse position than us, they do not have anybody with enough money to pay their debts off, especially one like ours

Archived