IGNORED

Gerry Gow

Esmond Million's Bung

I am having a Gerry Gow fest on youtube. I watched a clip of City beating Bolton 4-1 in the 1st division days last night and my god he was awesome in that game, at one point he gave the ball away dreadful pass, did he drop his head, did he ****, he won it straight back and set us going on another attack.

Anyone want to really know how good he was watch this clip of when he was at manc, they beat Norwich 6-0, he scores 1 and has massive hand in 3 of the other goals.

Legend end of.

I am having a Gerry Gow fest on youtube. I watched a clip of City beating Bolton 4-1 in the 1st division days last night and my god he was awesome in that game, at one point he gave the ball away dreadful pass, did he drop his head, did he ****, he won it straight back and set us going on another attack.

Anyone want to really know how good he was watch this clip of when he was at manc, they beat Norwich 6-0, he scores 1 and has massive hand in 3 of the other goals.

Legend end of.

He is a legend in my eyes. I was fortunate to watch him week in week out. If only we had a player like that now.

What an awesome player he was! Like you, I felt privileged to watch him every week. Amazing he never played for Scotland, but he was understudy to an even greater player, and there weren't many of them.

I was very privileged to watch him come through the ranks, in a very successful youth team, a handful of reserve games and his first team debut aged 17, he was a very special BCFC player and real fans hero, whenever things were bad at BCFC there was always Gerry Gow, probably as popular a BCFC player as the great John Atyeo.

He played against all of the 1st division real hard men and never flinched a tackle and very rarely if ever looked out of place, I remember John Bond who was his manager at manc (who sadly died this year) saying 'he's a nasty little bugger, but he's my nasty little bugger'.

I was very privileged to watch him come through the ranks, in a very successful youth team, a handful of reserve games and his first team debut aged 17, he was a very special BCFC player and real fans hero, whenever things were bad at BCFC there was always Gerry Gow, probably as popular a BCFC player as the great John Atyeo.

He played against all of the 1st division real hard men and never flinched a tackle and very rarely if ever looked out of place, I remember John Bond who was his manager at manc (who sadly died this year) saying 'he's a nasty little bugger, but he's my nasty little bugger'.

who comes close nowadays emb??

I had the privilege of dropping Gerry and his wife Jules back to their hotel after a former players reunion in Shirehampton back in May, what a man, do you know when he left the club to join Man City he waived his right to £25k of the fee to help the club out?

That don`t surprise me at all.

There was football then and football now.

I prefer the then, even if people accuse me of living in the past.

Football was simply better in those days.

Football now has chaneged a lot with salaries and the fact the game is becoming a non contact sport.

Thanks, Esmond. To coin a phrase, I was there, and it brought back some great memories.

Gerry Gow was magnificent in midfield, but what also struck me this time around was the commitment of the players. Two of the goals came from players tackling back after losing the ball. Today's players would stop and look for someone to blame.

Furthermore, all the team made themselves available, rather than hiding from the ball.

Cue children bleating "but the game is different now". True, but is it improved? One Norman Hunter tackle made me wince, but the ref just waved play on and the player got up and got on with it.

Thanks, Esmond. To coin a phrase, I was there, and it brought back some great memories.

Gerry Gow was magnificent in midfield, but what also struck me this time around was the commitment of the players. Two of the goals came from players tackling back after losing the ball. Today's players would stop and look for someone to blame.

Furthermore, all the team made themselves available, rather than hiding from the ball.

Cue children bleating "but the game is different now". True, but is it improved? One Norman Hunter tackle made me wince, but the ref just waved play on and the player got up and got on with it.

I think people tend to forget that we were a decent side and on our day could give the best in that division a game, our problem was unlike the top 15 or so sides our squad was small and lose 1 player injured and normally that was a very important player only to be replaced to often by an average player.

I think people tend to forget that we were a decent side and on our day could give the best in that division a game, our problem was unlike the top 15 or so sides our squad was small and lose 1 player injured and normally that was a very important player only to be replaced to often by an average player.

Fair point, but there was no lack of commitment when we were a bunch of kids and old men in 92nd place, either.

Absolutely not and proud years for us they were, my point was more that some people forget actually how good a side we were and in the Bolton clip John Motson even makes mention of it.

Yes, and Tom Ritchie in particular never gets credit for his class. People rightly remember how committed he was, but not always how skilful.

Yes, and Tom Ritchie in particular never gets credit for his class. People rightly remember how committed he was, but not always how skilful.

and how solid, committed and inspirational players like Sweeney, Gillies, Rogers, Tainton, Merrick were and how talented Hunter, Cormack, Whitehead, Mabbut, Gow, Ritchie, Cheesley, Royle were and Jimmy Mann on his day.

I didn't see Gerry play, I'm an 80s babber; but what a player he looks. Wow.

Some of you say us younger members are gonna say "but the game has changed". When I watch a Chelsea game with no contact and all players about 4ft 6" - I wish it hadn't changed.

I looked at the conditions today and thought that had the making of a cracking, old fashioned game of football. No suprise it got called off.

But Gow deserves his place as a City legend. He looks like he is a mix of Tinnion, Doc & Hartley x 2.

That don`t surprise me at all. There was football then and football now. I prefer the then, even if people accuse me of living in the past. Football was simply better in those days. Football now has chaneged a lot with salaries and the fact the game is becoming a non contact sport.
Hear hear, long gone is the art of sliding in an nicking the ball away, the namby pamby brigade have torn away the cut and thrust of the game.

Never watched him i'm afraid, was he in the same mould as stephen pearson?

Well let me put it slightly differently, you can see that in true 80's tradition Gerry had the shoulder length perm, but once on the pitch he couldn't give a toss about his hair, unlike Mrs Woolford who spends more time preening than playing.

Gow was a genuine city legend . Always at it and destroyed the gases frankie pounce.

There was a massive difference between Gerry and Prince and that was Gerry would go into any challenge face to face and Prince usually tried to kick you from behind.

Archived