IGNORED

Wages

Cunnyfunt

We had a mention on talk sport the other day that we are currently paying more in wages on our squad than Swansea City and that we are amongst the biggest payers in the Championship. Now as we are currently sitting bottom of the league can somebody other than talk sport shed some light on this and tell me it's not true!

I imagine it is true, I suspect we've been one the highest payers in our respective leagues for years. What annoys me is that Blackpool got promoted with other clubs cast offs and ageing players, I can't imagine those players must have been demanding huge salaries. Us on the other hand, it seems to be the only way we can attract 'decent' players and beat our rivals to signing them. It's been happening for years although Johnson probably tried to attack the wage bill to some extent with his own army of less attractive players such as Jevons, Byfield, Basso, Savage etc.

The fact is, the more fashionable the club is, the more column inches and media interest etc the more a player will want to sign and will be happy with a lesser package rather than money being a large motivating factor.

Here lies the problem ...

To attract players to us, (considered by most a footballing backwater) we have to offer a lot more than other teams .. Thus attracting players possibly more money driven than for playing reasons ..

Which would explain why we are usually passionless and not up for the fight ...

We've always been stupid with cash. Even recently letting Brett go to Bournemouth for £60k. When was the last time we made a healthy profit on a player? I know this has nothing to do with wages, but, we need to sort out our money issues pronto.

Here lies the problem ...

To attract players to us, (considered by most a footballing backwater) we have to offer a lot more than other teams .. Thus attracting players possibly more money driven than for playing reasons ..

Which would explain why we are usually passionless and not up for the fight ...

I can understand how Blackpool's location, in Lancashire, can help in attracting players. But can you tell me why the likes of Swansea and Southampton are doing well and not making enormous losses? Both are just as geographically remote as we are and could be called footballing backwaters. Our problem lies in awful management at all levels, poor scouting, shocking youth development and coaching and it's being going on for years. Of course we have to pay good wages - there's s*d all else on the footballing side to attract players here. At least the current regime has finally acknoweldged these problems and is trying to do something about them. Whether it's possible in BS3 is a good question IMO.

I can understand how Blackpool's location, in Lancashire, can help in attracting players. But can you tell me why the likes of Swansea and Southampton are doing well and not making enormous losses? Both are just as geographically remote as we are and could be called footballing backwaters. Our problem lies in awful management at all levels, poor scouting, shocking youth development and coaching and it's being going on for years. Of course we have to pay good wages - there's s*d all else on the footballing side to attract players here. At least the current regime has finally acknoweldged these problems and is trying to do something about them. Whether it's possible in BS3 is a good question IMO.

This.

I've never understood this whole "we can't attract players due to our location" bull. As you've mentioned, other clubs such as Portsmouth, Southampton, Cardiff, Blackpool etc etc have all attracted decent permanent and loan signings. The problem lies so much more deep than that. Something is very rotten at the moment within Bristol City, and I can't put my finger on what it is. The owner has dug deep, he clearly has spent the wages, so whats going on?

I think this goes a long way to showing the problems McCinnes is having this season. Those figures will not be for this season. From what is being said the wage bill will be millions down this season. For the last few seasons we've had an average team being paid very well. Now we have an average team being paid less, but fans expectations seem to have risen.

?

Jesus, where would you start?

Better town centre for shopping, better night life, better sporting activities, the millennium stadium etc.

A good ice rink, an amazing swimming pool.

Lots of outdoor parks and spaces to take the family too.

A council who wants to get things done by the looks of it, compared to ours.

I don't feel the two places are comparable, if I was a young footballer I would much rather live in Cardiff than Bristol.

Jesus, where would you start?

Better town centre for shopping, better night life, better sporting activities, the millennium stadium etc.

A good ice rink, an amazing swimming pool.

Lots of outdoor parks and spaces to take the family too.

A council who wants to get things done by the looks of it, compared to ours.

I don't feel the two places are comparable, if I was a young footballer I would much rather live in Cardiff than Bristol.

When I lived in Cardiff 40 years ago, it was ten years behind Bristol - now it's ten years ahead.

Take a bow, Bristol City Council, the Toytown Councils and, of course, the NIMBY incomers.

Archived