IGNORED

Academy, Category 2 Or Category 3?

Coach

All seems to be on track. Gradually moving everything to Filton, lots of new coaches and the communication etc. much more professional. Alot of focus at the moment on making sure the boys get the required number of hours coaching. All in all looks like they have a plan.

From what I have been told from those in the know, the academy needs a lot of work and is work in progress after a few boat rocks. The ship seems to be balancing but there is a lot of work. The decision is carried out through several audits and 1 maybe 2 have already been done. These will give an indication to the club whether they will be successful on Cat 2 and any improvements before the next audit to achieve this.

The departure of Tim Kirk and what appears to be a demotion of Trevor Challis and other coaches coming in/going out as I say, it's work in progress.

As for Cat 1, miles away!

MM

There's a good piece here on the difference between Cat 1 and Cat 3 .... obviously Cat 2 will be somewhere in between but it is closer to Cat 1 than Cat 3. http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/9877884.What_is_the_difference_between_a_Category_1_and_3_Academy_/

The budget required for Cat 2 is £969k, Cat 3 requires only £315k.

Cat 3 clubs are not permitted to coach youngsters until they're 11 years old, Cat 2 clubs can take players from age 4 and sign them from age 9.

The 90 minute rule (where academy players have to live within a 90 minute drive) does not apply to Cat 2 so the club can cast their net further.

I think Cat 2 clubs have to provide 5 hours contact time with a player each week, Cat 3 they have to offer only about 2.5

If a 12-16 year old moves to a Cat 1 club from Cat 2, compenastion is set at £25,000 per year he's been at the Cat 2 club. Signing from a Cat 3 club means only £12,500 per year compo.

As well as providing more coaches and playing against better clubs there are a number of reasons why getting Cat 2 is miles better than Cat 3.

Spoke to someone the other day who reckons City are actually aiming for Category 1 ... can't really see that though with all the investment that requires.

Then again ... Lansdown is going on today about only signing young players, maybe he is going all out for a long term plan of developing youth and Cat 1 would be some statement!

Spoke to someone the other day who reckons City are actually aiming for Category 1 ... can't really see that though with all the investment that requires.

Then again ... Lansdown is going on today about only signing young players, maybe he is going all out for a long term plan of developing youth and Cat 1 would be some statement!

I'd think if it is, it's aiming for Category 1 in the same way as it's aiming for promotion. A long term goal.

I think we are nailed on for Cat 2 a hell of a lot of work has been done in a short space of time, and there is still the facilities up grade works going on,

If we do aim for a cat 1 (i doubt we will get it) it would put us in the best clubs in the counry,

The most important thing is to stop southampton taking the best young talent from our area however

Almost certainly. From what i have heard there will only be 4 or maybe 5 clubs in the Prem even getting CAT1.

is there a rule about a number of Cat 1 teams in an area?

Ie can't have more then 3 in london and 1 in birmingham or somthing?

But then you have Manchester, a footballing hotbed - I hope this isn't the case as Manchester United and City would surely both merit Cat 1

Also, with 1 Category 1 club, they would surely pick off anything decent from all clubs at minimal compensation cost including their main city rivals whether it be Birmingham, Manchester or Bristol

Competition is a good thing to help progress, limiting numbers would hold this up

Not 100% sure on that one to be honest. My educated guess would be that there would be no limit on it. If your club has £2.5m annually to run it and can afford to get it all setup in the first place then that should probably be encouraged. The more top facilities available the better.

As it stands CAT1 clubs will be able to buy young stars from CAT2 and CAT3 clubs pretty easily, so for clubs at the top end of the English leagues, if they want to compete with their rivals in terms of youth, they will also need CAT1 clubs to help ensure they keep the best young players.

There can't be a rule about limiting CAT1 clubs in an area surely? Man City's is the best in the country, no way would Man Utd not be allowed CAT1 also?

Re: stopping Southampton creaming off the best in the area (which I don't think they do anyway), has anyone heard the rumour that Man Utd may set up a satellite yard in the South West?

When you think about it, £1.5m a year extra for CAT1 instead of CAT2 - we waste that in transfer fees on journeymen every year don't we? Gotta be the wise way to go and all City fans would be 100% behind the cause wouldn't we, even in a run of bad results.

has anyone heard the rumour that Man Utd may set up a satellite yard in the South West?

They wouldn't need to once this is all setup. They would be perfectly entitled to come and watch the youngsters at any club with a category rating below them and then sign them up.

In a way as a CAT2 club in the south west, we would be their satellite site, as per many other clubs will be up and down the country.

"Martin Griffiths, chairman of Bristol Sport, said: "The work Amy and her team have being doing with the Community Trust has been remarkable as we look to reach out to as many youngsters in the local community as possible, spreading the message of Bristol City."

Possible one of the most painfull things I've ever read.

Archived