IGNORED

Rougier And Bell

GrahamC

Can someone explain to me the thought process beind offering Mickey Bell a deal and not Tony Rougier?

This is not anything personal against Mickey who has been one of our better signings of the last ten years in terms of value for money and availability.

However the fact is that he is 33 in November, is now no longer a first choice either in his preferred position of left back or as a left sided midfielder, with Craig Woodman surely in front of him in the queue as first reserve as well, not only that but the thing that we lack from all areas, namely goals, completely dried up from him about two years ago.

Rougier was poor against Brighton I know, but does seem to be a bit of a goal threat and if his age has counted against him (he's 33 next month) why hasn't it against Mickey?

This just makes no sense to me at all.

Personally I'd release Mickey but fair enough I understand your point, however Tinman can't go as he still has a year left on his contract.

Do you honestly think Tinman will play much next season? barring injuries or some unforeseeable crisis I don't.

Guest TinnionsTalentedLeftFoot

believe it or not,ROUGIER was not very good until he came to us,he was just a HESKEY-type striker without the pace,BELLY however made the PFA div2 sides for 5 years running and had offers of over £1mill from bigger clubs

Personally I'd release Mickey but fair enough I understand your point, however Tinman can't go as he still has a year left on his contract.

Do you honestly think Tinman will play much next season? barring injuries or some unforeseeable crisis I don't.

Surely that makes him a luxury we can ill afford? Just a thought.

Yes it probably does, however as we are a club which seems to employ virtually every ex-player we've had (Shaun Taylor, Alan Walsh, Keith Millen, Mike Stowell etc) as a coach in some capacity or other and he has given us fantastic service over the years I'd say he was more deserving than some people currently on the wage bill, even if he only plays say half a dozen times next time around....

, with Craig Woodman surely in front of him in the queue as first reserve as well, not only that but the thing that we lack from all areas, namely goals, completely dried up from him about two years ago.

Sorry to bang on about this,but did you think Woodman looked remotely capable on Sunday???

Mickey has been excellent since coming in for Aaron(who would be 1st choice left side) and can also play left back.

He would be my choice ahead of woodman for either.

Again,sorry to go on because i've posted this before but belly used to pick up a few goals from free kicks and Pens.Not any more,even though he's good at it :D Down the pecking order i suppose.

Guest TinnionsTalentedLeftFoot

WOODY is a left-back,and a very good left-back at that,not a midfielder,it's just unfortunate that AARON got injured that's all

It's amazing how many of our ex-players slip comfortably into a coaching role at our club, we must have one of the best coached teams in the division. It's nice to see the players aren't just discarded at the end of their playing days but how many more coaching roles can we create/do we need? it must all cost money, great if the results show.

I am a fan of Mickey Bell :D and was impressed that after being out for chunks of the season, when he got his chance he played well and made danny pick him. I know it was probably lucky for Mickey due to unfortunate injuries to Aaron Brown but he took his chance all the same. We missed his experience on Sunday which can only have helped.

I did like Rougier and initially was surprised he was not retained. Maybe the club didn't really think that on transfer deadline day we would sign both Murray and Rougier? If we got Scott at the last minuite maybe Rougier had already been signed?

Another thing is that maybe Rougier doesn't settle anywhere for long, he has a few loans and not kept on at the end, or am I wrong?

Archived