IGNORED

Wages

TBW

Just saw an article on former Liverpool Right Back, Rob Jones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20554929

Anyway, at one point he states the highest wage he ever got was £7,000 per week, (still quite a lot to most of us on here (£364,000 per year) but as an England international and a player who was playing at the top of the Premier League it's just ridiculous to see that in comparison to what England players get now. Rob Jones was on £7,000 per week, what's Glen Johnson on?

How did it get so far from real from that to now. We've got players earning more than that and they'll never get close to playing international football or playing in European competitions (UEFA, Europa, whatever it's called now).

Also states when he started at Liverpool his wage was £500 per week - double what he got at Crewe!

I know inflation has consistently risen through the years but £7,000 per week for a Liverpool RB to probably about £65,000 if you're Glen Johnson? That's almost a 900% rise in less than 15 years. Can't see myself ever getting a 900% payrise.

Anyway, at one point he states the highest wage he ever got was £7,000 per week, (still quite a lot to most of us on here (£364,000 per year) but as an England international and a player who was playing at the top of the Premier League it's just ridiculous to see that in comparison to what England players get now. Rob Jones was on £7,000 per week, what's Glen Johnson on?

How did it get so far from real from that to now. We've got players earning more than that and they'll never get close to playing international football or playing in European competitions (UEFA, Europa, whatever it's called now).

Also states when he started at Liverpool his wage was £500 per week - double what he got at Crewe!

I know inflation has consistently risen through the years but £7,000 per week for a Liverpool RB to probably about £65,000 if you're Glen Johnson? That's almost a 900% rise in less than 15 years. Can't see myself ever getting a 900% payrise.

One word - Sky.

Then:

The first Sky television rights agreement was worth £304 million over five seasons 1992/93 - 1996/97

Now:

Television rights alone for the period 2010 to 2013 have been purchased for £1.782 billion

The rights have just been sold for the 2013/14 season through to 2015/16 for £3.018 billion, an increase of 70.2% over the 201011 to 201213 rights

I heard Joe Royle on the radio a few years ago talking about when he was playing for Everton. He said he earned more from his part-time job as a used car salesman than he did from football!

I can't imagine Wayne Rooney selling used cars

Best start working harder :cool2:

Another insight from Ugo Ehiogu - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20274388

Do young players earn too much?

Yes. I started at West Brom as a YTS on £29.50 a week - rising to £35 a week. Some kids I see now are on £6-700 a week at the age of 17. If they don't make the grade, how do they come back to reality? If they have to sign for Barnet or a Dagenham they take a massive wage cut, and it's a big transition. It's just a shame that they get so much before they even done anything.

When I joined Aston Villa at 18, I was on £300 a week, and I got a £7,000 signing-on fee. It was a lot more than my peers were earning, I was lucky. I was also lucky that my dad had always drummed into me to look after my money which served me well.

Archived