IGNORED

Is The Make Up Of The Board Our Problem?

numbeast

When you look at our board since Steve Lansdown joined it it has consisted of businessmen. very good businessmen I admit but not football men. During his time here SL has pumped money into the playing squad left right and centre and, results suggest, on managers not up to the job of taking the club to the next level. Perhaps before sacking the current manager and trusting to luck we appoint the "Right man" we should appoint someone with knowledge enough about the game to take out some of the guess work and replace it with genuine knowledge someone who knows what is needed and the attributes a manager needs to go forward with the club. Then perhaps we may gain the success we all wish.

Alternatively, a "football" man is drafted onto the board.

I don't like the title of Director of Football, but something along those lines - that responsibility used to be in Sexstones domain, I understand its now with Jon Lansdown (correct me if wrong) and, lets face it, he's a bit wet behind the ears.

Benny was drafted in all those years ago and that didn't work out too well as he ended up managing the football side of the club, but if the club could get someone in with some stature and great experience in the game to define transfer policy/strategy, and the strategic aims for the playing side of the club from academy to first team (in agreement with the manager), as well as acting as the conduit between the football side and the board, it would take a lot of work/pressure off the manager and let him get on with spending more time conditioning the first team for games. That person could also be the mouthpiece of the club with regards to informing the support base on all matters to do with the football side of the club.

Its been tried by many clubs with varying degrees of success with most failures due to managers being stuck in a time warp and boards not fully understanding or supporting the role, but if the right bloke is appointed it can only be for the good imo.

I would rather go with a board member with a background in football as opposed to a "Director of Football" although I'm sure the right partnership could prove that role successful. What I think is needed is a former manager with a knowledge of tactics and how a club is managed from the footballing side who can provide the link between manager and board. In this role he can explain the reasons, why's and wherefore's to the board when the manager requests something and can clarify why a request has not been granted to the manager when it's turned down and possibly highlight other ways to achieve the managers aim.

But at no point should this role involve interfering with the managers right to run the team his way. Also when it comes to appointing a new manager he would be in a better position to appraise the candidates and give the board a better understanding of their strengths and weaknesses.

At the moment we have Jon Lansdown as Director in charge of the footballing side of things and I'm sure he is doing a good job in as far as a conventional director goes. But he is still outside of the game having never played or managed professionally. But by brining in someone along side him with the insider knowledge this tandem directors post would flourish in my opinion. It would need to be someone who doesn't want the responsibility of managing the team so is therefore not a rival to the incumbent manager but someone who can impart their knowledge another club so to speak, someone in the mould of Bobby Gould perhaps.

This will not guarantee success, only a crystal ball can do that, but it may lead to getting more things right than we do now.

Why doesn't your chairman simply try a different shade of lipstick or a new rouge?

We eat league leaders for breakfast, ask Southampton. Hope your bottle dosent go to soon though before we meet at yours

.We will still both be here next season though as sure as the Jack Army will always be on a different planet to your lot.

I know that David Moyles holds us in high regards, but, where are all the Everton players? Infact, we haven't had an Everton player on load since he's been in charge of thenToffees have we? Why don't we use him if be lives us that much

Archived