IGNORED

January, Heaton, Keepers...

Lack of Action Man

Unless I've totally got my facts wrong, Heaton signed on a 1 year deal? I'm not sure if we have an option to force the renewal of it or not?

If we do, then we should. If we don't we should be doing all in our power to persuade him to stay. Sadly I can't see him wanting to play for potentially a league 1 side (pessimistic outlook, I know) when he is clearly a mid to top end Championship keeper.

With this in mind, it might be necessary to start at least scouting keepers/ looking at who is available in January in case he decides not to join us for next season?

He's a great shot stopper but cannot command his area one bit. If we had a keeper who could come and catch/punch as well as save like Heaton then there's every chance that we'd be a few places higher.

Unfortunately keepers of that kind are few and far between. Off the top of my head the only ones we've had in the last 10-15 years are James (who admittedly was on his way down), Dykstra and Mercer.

How on earth does Tom Heaton get away without any stick on these boards?! HELLO? The guy has let in every single shot so far, no clean sheet since joining us. It's bad enough Del keeps playing him in front of Gerken and Carey, god help us if he signs for another year.

Not sure he would get into half the League 1 teams, let alone Championship.

I honestly don't get the Tom Heaton love, he's like the new Pitman.

Excellent keeper. Made at least 6 really good saves at Millwall that some would have let in. Keep at any costs

Thats the thing - because he doesn't EVER come for a cross, this part of his game gets forgotten as he doesnt make the odd mistake that doing this would inevitably bring.

A defence loves for keepers to come and it gives them confidence - something our defence lacks.

I wouldn't be worried if he left if we went down (assuming he is one of the higher earners at the club)

Thats the thing - because he doesn't EVER come for a cross, this part of his game gets forgotten as he doesnt make the odd mistake that doing this would inevitably bring.

A defence loves for keepers to come and it gives them confidence - something our defence lacks.

I wouldn't be worried if he left if we went down (assuming he is one of the higher earners at the club)

David James came for plenty of crosses and rarely got anywhere near them.

How on earth does Tom Heaton get away without any stick on these boards?! HELLO? The guy has let in every single shot so far, no clean sheet since joining us. It's bad enough Del keeps playing him in front of Gerken and Carey, god help us if he signs for another year.

He hasn't let in every single shot so far! Blimey - that would be bad!

Goalkeeper is a funny position as people constantly under/over estimate players abilities.

They often over-estimate saves as well. Commentators and fans will scream 'what a save' when a lot of the time the ball is hit straight at the keeper and to concede a goal the keeper would have had to purposely dive out of the way!!

He hasn't let in every single shot so far! Blimey - that would be bad!

Goalkeeper is a funny position as people constantly under/over estimate players abilities.

They often over-estimate saves as well. Commentators and fans will scream 'what a save' when a lot of the time the ball is hit straight at the keeper and to concede a goal the keeper would have had to purposely dive out of the way!!

I know Dave, I'm obviously exaggerating just a incy bit when I say he's let in every shot, and he isn't as bad as I'm making him out to be. But the fact is, he's not getting clean sheets and it's causing us problems. I know our defence isn't that great, or our midfield for that matter but Heaton has to share some of the blame and responsibility for our goal difference. I think Tom has made the occasional decent save here and there, even enough to warrant screaming 'WHAT A SAVE' but he lets in far too many goals where most League 1 keepers would have kept it out.

Some nonsense here. The keeper wouldn't have to make so many excellent saves if the defence and midfield did their jobs. That is one very good keeper. I thought Bates and McManus were very poor yesterday backing off and allowing the Millwall players to get a lot of shots in. No keeper would have stopped their second goal rifled from point blank, no defender anywhere near. Thanks to his multiple saves we could have nicked the all the points if Danns and Baldock had connected with the sitters they had

You clearly weren't at Millwall, and infact would hazard a guess you've seen very few games this season.

That, or just a bit dim / on a wind up

Just taking a look at the highlights from Millwall. Heaton's positioning is poor I thought, he was stuck to his line for the shown saves and was struggling from shots on the edge of the box and was wrong footed or wrong weighted for a few of the shots. He was no more than 2 yards off his line and nearly lobbed before making a hollywood save, that looks good, but really isnt all that in terms of being a decent save, looks better than it was.

Does he come out of his 6 yard box at all?

To blame Heaton for anything from that game from those highlights is laughable.

Your arguments might have an iota of credence if you weren't so over the top.

Let in every shot? Do me a favour, you daft bastard! He's pulled off dozens of class saves this season.

Yeah he stays rooted to his line at times and his kicking aint great but your never going to get the complete player at this level.

Doesnt help neither when he's had 7/8 CB partnerships infront of him this season not to mention an inept CM.

Heaton has made some outstanding saves this season and for me he's a very good Championship keeper.

Clueless

Your arguments might have an iota of credence if you weren't so over the top.

Let in every shot? Do me a favour, you daft bastard! He's pulled off dozens of class saves this season.

I already admitted myself that I'm exaggerated, I get worked up when I see people posting things like "Heaton is a class act" or "Heaton is a excellent keeper" when he hasn't really been that great for us so far.

You clearly weren't at Millwall, and infact would hazard a guess you've seen very few games this season.

That, or just a bit dim / on a wind up

Indeed I wasn't at Millwall, but you make it sound like he was a completely different Heaton to the Heaton that keeps on shipping goals at AG.

JammyOne just really doesn't like him!

I don't have a problem with him, in-fact in the player interviews he comes across as being quite a nice guy. I just think he lets in far too many goals, I can't see what's unfair about that.

He isnt a class act at this level. really really isnt. He sufficient, barely. You didnt answer my question spin doctor, you said it was laughable to blame him, for defeat ( I assume, which I wasnt) from the highlights. you have yet to answer the accusations on the highlights that he was poorly positioned and stuck to his line, nearly beaten by a lob when less than 2 yards off his line, not good at shots from on the edge of the area etc.

You want to wax lyrical about these amazing saves, explain what made them amazing

Well I was at the game, and how you can fault him for the goals is laughable, how, in anyway shape or form, was he to blame for those goals?!?!

Poorly positioned?? No he wasn't. Not good from shots on the edge of the area? Well I seem to remember Trotter forcing 2 good stops and n'guesson having a pop which he turned round th post....ALL from the edge of the area.

Where was he stuck to his line?!

The problem is some people just don't fully understand how the game works, it's the same with all teams, your clearly one of those people.

Heaton is a good shot stopper (but so is Gerken) - he struggles with crosses, organising the defence, and angled shots. So we have a keeper that can stop rather comfortable shots in the middle of goal - ala almost every keeper.

If he stays or goes, I have no problem he is about as good/bad as most championship keepers, no better or worse - would not be upset to see Gerken in goal if it comes to it.

Archived