IGNORED

My Birthday Next Saturday

Aizoon

I shall be 67, a fine old age for a hedgehog.

To celebrate my birthday, should I:

a) Go down to the Gate and enjoy a feast of football in pleasant, friendly surroundings, munching at a delightful pie and drinking an excellent cup of coffee.

b) Do almost anything else...

Go down the pub Aiz, and drink to some good times. On no account go to the Gate, and put unessessary stress on yourself...

Sounds good. I remember, when I was 18, buying a flagon of Long Ashton cider to celebrate promotion to Divison Two after a great performance by John Atyeo. Maybe that's what I should hold on to.

The prospect of a facing a decent Leicester side full of exciting attacking players, including last season's Chris Wood, fills me with horror right now. Never mind, at least we will have another new defensive combination to try their luck and **** it up as usual.

Sounds good. I remember, when I was 18, buying a flagon of Long Ashton cider to celebrate promotion to Divison Two after a great performance by John Atyeo. Maybe that's what I should hold on to.

More good times than Ive seen following City, all I have is a 3-0 win at Wembley over Bolton....have a good day mucker!

I shall be 67, a fine old age for a hedgehog.

To celebrate my birthday, should I:

a) Go down to the Gate and enjoy a feast of football in pleasant, friendly surroundings, munching at a delightful pie and drinking an excellent cup of coffee.

b) Do almost anything else...

Have a great Birthday, don't let the current problems at this club get you down. I'm pretty sure I'd only just been born when we got promotion to Div 2 under the great John Atyeo - so that would have been April 1965?

Have a great Birthday, don't let the current problems at this club get you down. I'm pretty sure I'd only just been born when we got promotion to Div 2 under the great John Atyeo - so that would have been April 1965?

It was, so that would make me 19 not 18. Long time ago, mind ;)

I was born March 1965, my City supporting Grandfather said it was a great year because I came along in March and City were promoted the following month - bless him I wish he was still with us.

Bless him indeed!

Of all the good times, I've had with City, that one stands out. Not least because we'd given up on promotion, we were playing the Gas who were top, when John Atyeo came back from injury. The next 13 games were 11-1-1, and Big John scored the goal that put us in second place for the first time, with two minutes left of the season.

Did I mention his four second-half goals at Carlisle a couple of days before?

Tony Ford's 87th minute pen against Luton to win 1-0?

Great days!

Bless him indeed!

Of all the good times, I've had with City, that one stands out. Not least because we'd given up on promotion, we were playing the Gas who were top, when John Atyeo came back from injury. The next 13 games were 11-1-1, and Big John scored the goal that put us in second place for the first time, with two minutes left of the season.

Did I mention his four second-half goals at Carlisle a couple of days before?

Tony Ford's 87jth minute pen against Luton to win 1-0?

Great days!

Me and my mate managed to clamber up and sat perched on the high railings at the back of the old open end for the Oldham match, after the celebrations at the end of the game we blagged our way into the supporters club and guess what all of of the players were in there and dear old Ray Savino bought us shandy each, wouldn't get the steam off of players piss these days.

Me and my mate managed to clamber up and sat perched on the high railings at the back of the old open end for the Oldham match, after the celebrations at the end of the game we blagged our way into the supporters club and guess what all of of the players were in there and dear old Ray Savino bought us shandy each, wouldn't get the steam off of players piss these days.

Probably find that it's sponsored by Budweiser ;)

Yes, the players were fans themselves in those days. When did that all stop, I wonder? Wasn't Ray Savino's hobby rabbiting? I heard he was half-gypsy, but that may have been a rumour.

Probably find that it's sponsored by Budweiser ;)

Yes, the players were fans themselves in those days. When did that all stop, I wonder? Wasn't Ray Savino's hobby rabbiting? I heard he was half-gypsy, but that may have been a rumour.

I think you might be right, he bred rabbits, lovely working class like most players of that era.

I think you might be right, he bred rabbits, lovely working class like most players of that era.

That's right, knew it had something to do with bunnies ;) Solid bloke, like most of the players then. On the same planet as we were.

I remember in a pub in Southampton after a robust game in the 70's, cursing O'Brien for seventeen kinds of thug. My mate shushed me, pointing behind and I told him I didn't care if every Soton fan in town was behind me. Then I looked, and it was Gerry O'Brien with a huge grin on his face.

Yes, of course I bought him a pint :)

That simply wouldn't happen now...

Here's my birthday present to you, read this it'll make laugh, it'll bring a tear to your eye and it'll show the difference between guys who played for the love of the game and not to have to work in a factory, where as todays pathetic cretins play only for one thing filthy lucre.

Enjoy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A65929378

Here's my birthday present to you, read this it'll make laugh, it'll bring a tear to your eye and it'll show the difference between guys who played for the love of the game and not to have to work in a factory, where as todays pathetic cretins play only for one thing filthy lucre.

Enjoy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A65929378

Thanks very much. That is a brilliant present. All the best to you and yours.

Thanks very much. That is a brilliant present. All the best to you and yours.

My pleasure, I know Terry and his missus both very caring/community spirited people to this day, his missus used to run the local cubs for years.

What a fabulous read, £10 basic wage, £4 for a win, £2 for a draw and £1 extra for every thousand fans over 20,000, brilliant.

Archived