IGNORED

Ballon D'or

Super

OK, two games, two games where Manchester United didn't look like the Manchester United most know.

The thing Ronaldo would still be in the Premiership if he wasn't so greedy, the only reason Messi stays in Spain is because he knows he would never walk through teams so easily in the premiership (he'd still be great but nowhere near as prolific) and generally because the league as a whole is a lot easier.

If you took away the top 5 teams in the La Liga and did the same with the Premiership and then mixed the other 15 teams from each league together to make a league of 30 teams I'd put a lot of money on the English teams dominating the majority of the table. The Premiership as a whole is far more competitive than the La Liga and it's only the fact that Real Madrid and Barca are such star studded teams that people argue it's a better league.

I honestly don't think Messi would win the Ballon D'or if he was playing in the Premiership because it's a lot harder to shine when the basic level is so much higher in the Premiership. He'd shine no doubt but 91 goals shine... I don't think so.

How many goals did Ronaldo score for Man U? 40 odd was his best wasn't it? And messi is more prolific than Ronaldo, so I think he'd score just as many goals as he does now. I think it's more likely Ronaldo wanted to play for the most successful club in world football.

La Liga is not as competitive as the premiership but ability wise it's miles above, and ability nearly always triumphs over hard work and competitiveness.

I think the is the prem better than la Liga argument is nearly moot as I feel we could be on the verge of a resurgent bundesliga beginning to dominate European football, if they can keep it up I think Dortmund can be better than anyone. And that's ignoring Bayern Munich, schalke and more.

Is it Wales,or cloud cuckoo land you live in!

Best wind up post I've read in a while. :)

5 of the 8 semi finalists in the two European competitions last year were Spanish, yes 5.

La Liga is far the better league, Spanish footballers rule the roost now. Most of the top Prem teams have a Spaniard in there midfield nowadays.

Man City,Arsenal,Chelsea,Swansea, to name a few. How many English players play, or are good enough to play abroad???

Where did this thread become about the nationality? We were talking about the League, the league includes all nationalities. If we're talking about Spanish players vs English players then yes Spain are miles ahead but we were talking about the Spanish league and the English league.

With regards to the European football last year:

Man City - they were nowhere near as good as they could have been but still finished 10 points higher than Villareal who were in their group who earned 0 points.

Man Utd - had one of the worst European campaigns they've had in a long long time, largely down to injuries and yet still had more points than Valencia who were in the same group as:

Chelsea - who finished top of their group and went on to win the Champions League.

Arsenal - also won their group and then had an awful first game where they lost 4-0 to Milan but still managed a 3-0 win in the second leg and almost got themselves back from a 4-0 down deficit.

Barca - knocked out by Chelsea, an English club

Real Madrid - knocked out by Bayern who Chelsea went on to beat in the final

With the Europa we had Fulham, Stoke, Birmingham (now fighting relegation with us!) and Tottenham. Tottenham had a bad tournament and the other teams we had were by far not our better BPL teams. Madrid are a class team and I won't take that away from them but as a whole the BPL is a better league than the La Liga and one I'd much rather watch.

OK, two games, two games where Manchester United didn't look like the Manchester United most know.

The thing Ronaldo would still be in the Premiership if he wasn't so greedy, the only reason Messi stays in Spain is because he knows he would never walk through teams so easily in the premiership (he'd still be great but nowhere near as prolific) and generally because the league as a whole is a lot easier.

If you took away the top 5 teams in the La Liga and did the same with the Premiership and then mixed the other 15 teams from each league together to make a league of 30 teams I'd put a lot of money on the English teams dominating the majority of the table. The Premiership as a whole is far more competitive than the La Liga and it's only the fact that Real Madrid and Barca are such star studded teams that people argue it's a better league.

I honestly don't think Messi would win the Ballon D'or if he was playing in the Premiership because it's a lot harder to shine when the basic level is so much higher in the Premiership. He'd shine no doubt but 91 goals shine... I don't think so.

Ronaldo & Greed? If he was greedy he'd be at Man Cty, PSG or Chelsea. He left Utd to join the biggest, most historic and succesful team in the world, plus lets be fair....Manchester v Madrid - if you grew up in Portugal it's hardly a hard choice.

As mentioned earlier, Man U twice and then Chelsea got totally outclassed by the team who finished 10th la liga last season....can you imagine West Brom (10th last year) doing that to the any 2 of Man C, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal.......I don't.

The league are totally different styles so its impossible to compare, England Is Pace and Stregnth, Spain about total passing football, if you look at amount of goals Messi/CR scored in Champions League compared to Our teams, they out score them.

As for CR not being to able to walk through teams in England he's done that in England, scoring 40+ goals in a season, his progression has just continued in Spain where he's scoring 40+ in another country. Messi - unknown and likely never will be, the dirty teams in Spain are as bad as the dirty teams in England.

As for mixing up the leagues, that would be a bet you'd lose without doubt, results for English team in CL and Europa,league back that up

Where did this thread become about the nationality? We were talking about the League, the league includes all nationalities. If we're talking about Spanish players vs English players then yes Spain are miles ahead but we were talking about the Spanish league and the English league. With regards to the European football last year:Man City - they were nowhere near as good as they could have been but still finished 10 points higher than Villareal who were in their group who earned 0 points.Man Utd - had one of the worst European campaigns they've had in a long long time, largely down to injuries and yet still had more points than Valencia who were in the same group as:Chelsea - who finished top of their group and went on to win the Champions League.Arsenal - also won their group and then had an awful first game where they lost 4-0 to Milan but still managed a 3-0 win in the second leg and almost got themselves back from a 4-0 down deficit. Barca - knocked out by Chelsea, an English clubReal Madrid - knocked out by Bayern who Chelsea went on to beat in the final With the Europa we had Fulham, Stoke, Birmingham (now fighting relegation with us!) and Tottenham. Tottenham had a bad tournament and the other teams we had were by far not our better BPL teams. Madrid are a class team and I won't take that away from them but as a whole the BPL is a better league than the La Liga and one I'd much rather watch.

Fulham, stoke, brum. Spurs.....whatever....only stoke got out their group and no English team even got to Quarters.

You do realise that 3/4 of the SEMI FINAL teams were Spanish.

Seems to me your making alot of excuses for English teams while totally ignoring Spanish success.

You can go back over the last ten years and you'll see alot more Spanish teams reaching semi/quarter finals of tournaments than English teams.

How many goals did Ronaldo score for Man U? 40 odd was his best wasn't it? And messi is more prolific than Ronaldo, so I think he'd score just as many goals as he does now. I think it's more likely Ronaldo wanted to play for the most successful club in world football.

La Liga is not as competitive as the premiership but ability wise it's miles above, and ability nearly always triumphs over hard work and competitiveness.

I think the is the prem better than la Liga argument is nearly moot as I feel we could be on the verge of a resurgent bundesliga beginning to dominate European football, if they can keep it up I think Dortmund can be better than anyone. And that's ignoring Bayern Munich, schalke and more.

He scored 42, but the BPL was far less competitive then, to put it in perspective Chelsea were the nearest rivals to United, Arsenal finished 3rd and Liverpool 4th... it was a different league back then and United were in their prime and won the double (CL). Their entire team was better back then, it wasn't just down to Ronaldo but the fact they had a team who at the time were better than Barca.

Ronaldo last season scored 60 goals in 55 games, in the BPL when it was less competitive he scored 42 goals in 49 appearances... just look at the difference. In La Liga he's score 171 goals in 171 games, for Manchester United he scored 118 in 292, even if you take out his two bas seasons in terms of scoring he was no where near as prolific in the Premiership and that's because as I said before the average level of the teams in the BPL are much higher and far more competitive.

Fulham, stoke, brum. Spurs.....whatever....only stoke got out their group and no English team even got to Quarters.

Seems to me your making alot of excuses for English teams while totally ignoring Spanish success.

You can go back over the last ten years and you'll see alot more Spanish teams reaching semi/quarter finals of tournaments than English teams.

So they did well in europe, but we arnt talking about how well spanish teams do in europe. we are on about the domestic leagues and in my opinion espanyol vs celta vigo isnt as good as wigan vs west brom

You're using a single statistic of a bad year for European football for English teams to justify your entire argument and missing the point that in the biggest European competition neither semi finalists made it to the final whereas an English team went on to win it.

It seems to me like you're making an argument based on a single statistic. Anyone with any football knowledge can see that scoring goals in La Liga is far easier because of the overall quality being much lower. Just because 3-4 teams in La Liga are fantastic teams and possibly some of the best teams in the world it doesn't mean the other 16 teams in the league aren't sh*t. I judge a league based on all of it's teams combined, not on the cream of the crop or the worst of the worst, I compare the leagues as a whole and in the BPL there is an interesting match pretty much every week, the same can't be said for La Liga.

Where did this thread become about the nationality? We were talking about the League, the league includes all nationalities. If we're talking about Spanish players vs English players then yes Spain are miles ahead but we were talking about the Spanish league and the English league.

With regards to the European football last year:

Man City - they were nowhere near as good as they could have been but still finished 10 points higher than Villareal who were in their group who earned 0 points.

Man Utd - had one of the worst European campaigns they've had in a long long time, largely down to injuries and yet still had more points than Valencia who were in the same group as:

Chelsea - who finished top of their group and went on to win the Champions League.

Arsenal - also won their group and then had an awful first game where they lost 4-0 to Milan but still managed a 3-0 win in the second leg and almost got themselves back from a 4-0 down deficit.

Barca - knocked out by Chelsea, an English club

Real Madrid - knocked out by Bayern who Chelsea went on to beat in the final

With the Europa we had Fulham, Stoke, Birmingham (now fighting relegation with us!) and Tottenham. Tottenham had a bad tournament and the other teams we had were by far not our better BPL teams. Madrid are a class team and I won't take that away from them but as a whole the BPL is a better league than the La Liga and one I'd much rather watch.

Your last few words sum it up, "and one I'd much rather watch". No problem with that, but the better league with the better teams and better players is Spain without doubt.

When the English league supplies the bulk of the World and European champions then perhaps it may be different.

I can't even imagine why I'm debating it ;)

You're using a single statistic of a bad year for European football for English teams to justify your entire argument and missing the point that in the biggest European competition neither semi finalists made it to the final whereas an English team went on to win it.

It seems to me like you're making an argument based on a single statistic. Anyone with any football knowledge can see that scoring goals in La Liga is far easier because of the overall quality being much lower. Just because 3-4 teams in La Liga are fantastic teams and possibly some of the best teams in the world it doesn't mean the other 16 teams in the league aren't sh*t. I judge a league based on all of it's teams combined, not on the cream of the crop or the worst of the worst, I compare the leagues as a whole and in the BPL there is an interesting match pretty much every week, the same can't be said for La Liga.

Re-read my post....over the last 10YEARS!!!

How many times in recent years have we seen Man U tore about by Barca in CL finals,

As for the leagues, unsure how you can say there isn't interesting matches...sounds to me like simple lack of knowledge of Spanish football, compared to a league which has games such as Wigan v Stoke where you have 20 player kicking lumps out of each other and the likes of Southampton v West Ham where everyone has neck ache! , give me mid table Spanish teams such as Sevilla v Esponyal or Vigo v Zaragoza, teams that are playing the game properly, games where ever week is like watching Swansea v Arsenal

I admit spanish football is good, but too much love for them i think

semi finalists 2012 - Real madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Chelsea - 2 Spain, 1 Germany, 1 England - Winner England

semi finalists 2011 - Shalke, Man Utd, Barcelona, Real Madrid - 2 Spain, 1 Germany, 1 England - Winner Spain

semi finalists 2010 - Bayern Munich, Lyon, Inter Milan, Barca - 1 Germany, 1 France, 1 Italy, 1 Spain - Winner Italy

semi finalists 2009 - Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona - 3 England, 1 Spain - Winner Spain

semi finalists 2008 - Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Barcelona - 3 England, 1 Spain - Winner England

semi finalists 2007 - Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Inter Milan - 3 England, 1 Italy - Winner Italy

semi finalists 2006 - Arsenal, Villareal, Milan, Barcelona - 2 Spain, 1 England, 1 Italy - Winner Spain

semi finalists 2005 - Chelsea, Liverpool, Milan, PSV - 2 England, 1 Italy, 1 Holland - Winner England

semi finalists 2004 - Monaco, Chelsea, Deportivo, Porto - 1 France, 1 England, 1 Portugal, 1 Spain - Winner Portugal

semi finalists 2003 - Real Madrid, Juventus, Inter Milan, AC Milan, 3 Italy, 1 Spain - Winner Italy

So let's analyse

English teams have held Semi Final positions 15 times in 10 years.

Spanish teams have help Semi Final positions 11 times in 10 years

English teams have won the CL 3 times in 10 years. 1 Man Utd, 1 Liverpool, 1 Chelsea

Spanish teams have won the CL 3 times in 10 years - all 3 were Barcelona

English teams have been in 7 out of 10 finals

Spanish teams have been in 3 out of 10 finals - all 3 were Barca which they won.

So I have gone back 10 years, and you will see the EPL has done better than La Liga in the CL

Real Madrid have not won the CL for over a decade now. (2002 Hampden Park, Zidane's volley)

So they did well in europe, but we arnt talking about how well spanish teams do in europe. we are on about the domestic leagues and in my opinion espanyol vs celta vigo isnt as good as wigan vs west brom

22 blokes kicking crap out of each other in a half empty stadium in Lancashire

V

Slick passing football in a full house with atmosphere,

Ok

Also worth mentioning that it helps the atmosphere out there when majority of,games are night games

I admit spanish football is good, but too much love for them i think

semi finalists 2012 - Real madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Chelsea - 2 Spain, 1 Germany, 1 England - Winner England

semi finalists 2011 - Shalke, Man Utd, Barcelona, Real Madrid - 2 Spain, 1 Germany, 1 England - Winner Spain

semi finalists 2010 - Bayern Munich, Lyon, Inter Milan, Barca - 1 Germany, 1 France, 1 Italy, 1 Spain - Winner Italy

semi finalists 2009 - Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona - 3 England, 1 Spain - Winner Spain

semi finalists 2008 - Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Barcelona - 3 England, 1 Spain - Winner England

semi finalists 2007 - Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Inter Milan - 3 England, 1 Italy - Winner Italy

semi finalists 2006 - Arsenal, Villareal, Milan, Barcelona - 2 Spain, 1 England, 1 Italy - Winner Spain

semi finalists 2005 - Chelsea, Liverpool, Milan, PSV - 2 England, 1 Italy, 1 Holland - Winner England

semi finalists 2004 - Monaco, Chelsea, Deportivo, Porto - 1 France, 1 England, 1 Portugal, 1 Spain - Winner Portugal

semi finalists 2003 - Real Madrid, Juventus, Inter Milan, AC Milan, 3 Italy, 1 Spain - Winner Italy

So let's analyse

English teams have held Semi Final positions 15 times in 10 years.

Spanish teams have help Semi Final positions 11 times in 10 years

English teams have won the CL 3 times in 10 years. 1 Man Utd, 1 Liverpool, 1 Chelsea

Spanish teams have won the CL 3 times in 10 years - all 3 were Barcelona

English teams have been in 7 out of 10 finals

Spanish teams have been in 3 out of 10 finals - all 3 were Barca which they won.

So I have gone back 10 years, and you will see the EPL has done better than La Liga in the CL

Real Madrid have not won the CL for over a decade now. (2002 Hampden Park, Zidane's volley)

Confidently ignoring Europa?

22 blokes kicking crap out of each other in a half empty stadium in Lancashire

V

Slick passing football in a full house with atmosphere,

Ok

Also worth mentioning that it helps the atmosphere out there when majority of,games are night games

Good point about the atmosphere, but 22 blokes kicking the crap out of each other? maybe if it was stoke-west ham

I will have to watch the next Wigan v WBA match, I never realised it was top quality,slick passing,brilliant technique football.

Funny how I've never noticed that isn't it ;)

Since 2004-2005 season there has been an English team in the final of the champs league every year but one- This has been a combination of 4 English teams (Including one all English final). In the same period there has been 3 finals with spanish teams in but it was Barca on every occasion (admittedly they won it all 3 times).

I know people will cite the UEFA/Europa cup but when was the last time an English team took it seriously?

I actually agree with the view that the Spanish league is technically superior and the Prem is more exciting to watch. But I don't agree that the gap is that huge that no other leagues in the world deserve a mention.

Confidently ignoring Europa?

Never watched it.

I'm sure it evens itself out, but if I was given the choice between winning the CL and winning the Europa League, I know what i'd choose.

The Champions League is the pinnacle of club football. Do you think Spurs put out the same squad for the matches in Milan in the CL than they did in the Europa League matches against some random team in Romania? Course not. English teams would rather get out of the Europa League to concentrate on their domestic league position

Arguably the 2nd best club tournement in the World, but not as much money to be won. Proof if needed that the English clubs choose money over prestige.

well there is that, but i read that Fulham played 12 matches to get to their final vs Ath Madrid, whereas Ath Madrid had entry into the 2nd round as they were one of the Knockouts from the CL that year. (for those who are interested, Chelsea topped the Champions League group that Ath Madrid were in.)

So Fulham went through the Qualifying rounds, then the league format, then the knockouts to get to the final. But all Athletico Madrid had to do was finish 3rd in their CL group to get into the knockouts.

Maybe they deliberately played crap in the CL so that they had a chance of winning an easier tournament because non of the English clubs give a damn about it?

who knows?

well there is that, but i read that Fulham played 12 matches to get to their final vs Ath Madrid, whereas Ath Madrid had entry into the 2nd round as they were one of the Knockouts from the CL that year. (for those who are interested, Chelsea topped the Champions League group that Ath Madrid were in.)

So Fulham went through the Qualifying rounds, then the league format, then the knockouts to get to the final. But all Athletico Madrid had to do was finish 3rd in their CL group to get into the knockouts.

Maybe they deliberately played crap in the CL so that they had a chance of winning an easier tournament because non of the English clubs give a damn about it?

who knows?

Possibly,perhaps that was Man Utd's intention last season, but then they got trounced by the 10th best team in Spain.

who knows?

Never watched it.

I'm sure it evens itself out, but if I was given the choice between winning the CL and winning the Europa League, I know what i'd choose.

The Champions League is the pinnacle of club football. Do you think Spurs put out the same squad for the matches in Milan in the CL than they did in the Europa League matches against some random team in Romania? Course not. English teams would rather get out of the Europa League to concentrate on their domestic league position

Yes,so they can come 5 th or 6th in the Prem and then enter the Europa cup again the following season ;)

Never watched it.

Short sighted in a way that.

Ronaldo & Greed? If he was greedy he'd be at Man Cty, PSG or Chelsea. He left Utd to join the biggest, most historic and succesful team in the world, plus lets be fair....Manchester v Madrid - if you grew up in Portugal it's hardly a hard choice.

As mentioned earlier, Man U twice and then Chelsea got totally outclassed by the team who finished 10th la liga last season....can you imagine West Brom (10th last year) doing that to the any 2 of Man C, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal.......I don't.

The league are totally different styles so its impossible to compare, England Is Pace and Stregnth, Spain about total passing football, if you look at amount of goals Messi/CR scored in Champions League compared to Our teams, they out score them.

As for CR not being to able to walk through teams in England he's done that in England, scoring 40+ goals in a season, his progression has just continued in Spain where he's scoring 40+ in another country. Messi - unknown and likely never will be, the dirty teams in Spain are as bad as the dirty teams in England.

As for mixing up the leagues, that would be a bet you'd lose without doubt, results for English team in CL and Europa,league back that up

You're right about CR he tore the premier league apart in his last two seasons at Man United, he then moved to the club he'd dreamt of playing for since he was a child

The PFA has released who footballers from the Premier League and Football League voted for.... Still no Serie A/Bundesliga- Just players from the Prem and La Liga.

Strikers: Robin van Persie, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Midfielders: Yaya Toure, Xavi and Andres Iniesta.

Defenders: Ashley Cole, Vincent Kompany, Gerard Pique and Sergio Ramos.

Goalkeeper: Joe Hart.

Considering the Germans had Bayern in the Champs League final and had a decent Euros (playing some of the best football) I can't believe that professionals in this country can look no further than two leagues (and in the case of Spain two teams!).

If every country has done something similar (looking at themselves and Spain) then it explains why the whole line up is from La Liga.

Archived