IGNORED

Lansdown Backs Mcinnes

The Red Planet

For all those who still (mistakenly) think DMC is soon for the chop, check out Steve Lansdown's interview on the OS (also to be in the programme on Saturday) about player recruitment policy.

I think that this approach to player recruitment is long overdue but more importantly, SL makes it very clear that DMC is deeply involved in this process.

SL is a clever man. I am convinced that this is his subtle message to us fans that we are sticking with Del for some time to come.

I share many of the reservations on here about his team selection but I think we now need a period of managerial stability.

So does SL and the board - it seems.

Steve Lansdown has clearly lost the plot.

Most unpopular manager of City in very long time and yet still gets owners backing.

Wonder if he'll still be backing him next season in league 1 with crowds of 8/9k, even bigger losses and even less remote chance of the stadium

Most unpopular manager of City in very long time and yet still gets owners backing.

Wonder if he'll still be backing him next season in league 1 with crowds of 8/9k, even bigger losses and even less remote chance of the stadium

I wouldn't go that far. We're currently in a relegation battle and DM did pull us through last season. SL obviously believes he can again. Whether that's accurate or not remains to be seen, but you need to ask what other managers would replace DM. Who would want to come here for a start? What guarantee is there, that they would do any better? You can't just keep replacing managers every 6 months or a year and expect the club to progress. We might get a lucky match like we did with GJ for most of his reign, but we could end up replacing DM with someone who is less likely to keep us up. Whilst I am being pulled more than ever to the 'DM out' camp, he still has games to turn this round. Not too many mind you ...

Most unpopular manager since the last one, you mean.

At least Millen got the boot fairly quickly, McInnes has been here longer, spent more and has a worse record and the owner still backs him,

At least Pulis quit after 6 months and we got compo from Pompey.

Most disliked manager since Osman I'd say.

You're a great troll.

Millen less popular

Coppell less popular

Tinnion less popular

Pulis less popular

SL has nailed his colours to the mast and and by printing his message in Well Red for the Leicester game he is clearly trying to get ALL city fans on board in supporting Del and the rest of the management team. In order for the club to push onwards and upwards we must draw a line under what has happened up to now and give Derek & the team our full support from this point on. This 'new' approach is very refreshing and I actually feel excited about City's future going forward. Let's all treat Saturday as if it were the first game of the season and get behind the lads bigtime.

I disagree, he's no more unpopular than other managers we've had that have lost lots of games.

Only 3 weeks ago about 75% on here were backing him!

Football fans in 2012 are unbelievably fickle.

At the end of last season we had fans on here that were scared he would get "poached" by bigger clubs!!

At least Millen got the boot fairly quickly, McInnes has been here longer, spent more and has a worse record and the owner still backs him,

At least Pulis quit after 6 months and we got compo from Pompey.

Most disliked manager since Osman I'd say.

Spent more? How do you know this, are you involved with the club somehow? Please enlighten me

SL has nailed his colours to the mast and and by printing his message in Well Red for the Leicester game he is clearly trying to get ALL city fans on board in supporting Del and the rest of the management team. In order for the club to push onwards and upwards we must draw a line under what has happened up to now and give Derek & the team our full support from this point on. This 'new' approach is very refreshing and I actually feel excited about City's future going forward. Let's all treat Saturday as if it were the first game of the season and get behind the lads bigtime.

Totally agree. Whether you still want DM here or not, it's patently clear that he'll be here for a while longer. Given that, it's important we get behind the team like never before. If it doesn't work out, at least we can say we've done our bit as fans.

Good thoughts! Trouble is that it's not our first game of the season and we currently look every bit relegation certainties. What happens if we lose our "first" two or three games? He will have to go.

To try to be positive, why isn't this support for Del and new transfer approach backed by some tangible help in the form of a DoF to make it happen, leaving Del and Doc to concentrate on what happens on the training field/pitch.

I'm in favour of this new transfer policy - it's just common sense really. However, one thing seems missing to me and it is massively important - we will now identify players but will we also identify their character, p but seem to avoid looking beyong their pure footballing ability, hence we can all play "spot the leader" every Saturday.

It is to his credit that SL is backing Del but he may aswell have started this a year ago and backed Millen - he was certainly no worse - in fact exactly the same, saved us from the drop, then led us to a relegation battle.

And for me the bottom line is that this new approach is being entrusted to a man who so far has proved inept in the transfer market.

Good thoughts! Trouble is that it's not our first game of the season and we currently look every bit relegation certainties. What happens if we lose our "first" two or three games? He will have to go.

To try to be positive, why isn't this support for Del and new transfer approach backed by some tangible help in the form of a DoF to make it happen, leaving Del and Doc to concentrate on what happens on the training field/pitch.

I'm in favour of this new transfer policy - it's just common sense really. However, one thing seems missing to me and it is massively important - we will now identify players but will we also identify their character, p but seem to avoid looking beyong their pure footballing ability, hence we can all play "spot the leader" every Saturday.

It is to his credit that SL is backing Del but he may aswell have started this a year ago and backed Millen - he was certainly no worse - in fact exactly the same, saved us from the drop, then led us to a relegation battle.

And for me the bottom line is that this new approach is being entrusted to a man who so far has proved inept in the transfer market.

You make very good points and it's hard to argue with most of them. However, clearly he aint going anywhere and anything other than supporting the manager and more importantly giving the team our full vocal support from this point on just aint going to do anyone any favours. We all need to take a deep breath, draw that line under the past and move forward as one. If we dont then we will deffo go down . If we do then we have a chance. We, the fans , can be the difference. Lets make it count.

I am a huge admirer of Steve Lansdown and what he has done for our club. What he said about his commitment to our club on the pitch at half time v Peterborough was deeply impressive to me.

However, we can't avoid the fact that he and the directors have made some awful decisions about the appointment of managers over recent years. Tinnion and Millen - never going to work, I could have told them that.

Coppell - well, we will never know what wrong there, actually I don't blame SL for that.

So, I think it is obvious that they have to stick with DMC for now.

And, as has been said above, don't forget that this guy kept us up last season. I think it is going to be more difficult to do that this season, but who knows. Still nearly half a season to go.

I am a huge admirer of Steve Lansdown and what he has done for our club. What he said about his commitment to our club on the pitch at half time v Peterborough was deeply impressive to me.

However, we can't avoid the fact that he and the directors have made some awful decisions about the appointment of managers over recent years. Tinnion and Millen - never going to work, I could have told them that.

You're a huge admirer of SL.....deeply impressive...

My view

He's put a lot of money into the club - to cover the losses - and now we (the club) owe him c. £35M.

The losses, though, have been run up on his watch, he's made all the key decisions , managers, wages, signed off all the transfers (Trundle,Styvar, Nyatanga, Williams etc)

Decent bloke but the architect of where we are.

I watched Swansea beat Chelsea on Sky tonight - That would be Swansea who were in L2 8 years ago, in L1 6 years ago, Swansea who we bought their best player (at ther time) off - Trundle - who wanted to play at a higher standard, when we were in the Championship and the Jacks were in L1. Swansea who's Chairman had a vision, a philosophy, that drove the club irrespectrive of managers, who insisted managers bought into the vision and followed the plan, Swansea who carried on moving forward despite losing Martinez, De Sousa, and Rogers. Swansea who made the Premier League whilst paying less in transfer fees and half the wage budget of Bristol City and who play in a new stadium (granted the stadium is council funded). Swansea who have moved to the level where they could attract Michael Laudrup and beat Chelsea and sit comfortably in the PL table.

Huw Jenkins - their Chairman -has achieved all this without bringing their club to unprecedented levels of debt.

Now that's "deeply impressive" ,

but I guess a few words on the mic at half time from SL will do it for some.

SL = decent bloke but his record is poor, fortunately his pockets are deep enough to cover his mistakes

My view

He's put a lot of money into the club - to cover the losses - and now we (the club) owe him c. £35M.

The losses, though, have been run up on his watch, he's made all the key decisions , managers, wages, signed off all the transfers (Trundle,Styvar, Nyatanga, Williams etc)

I watched Swansea beat Chelsea on Sky tonight - That would be Swansea who were in L2 8 years ago, in L1 6 years ago, Swansea who we bought their best player (at ther time) off - Trundle - who wanted to play at a higher standard, when we were in the Championship and the Jacks were in L1. Swansea who's Chairman had a vision, a philosophy, that drove the club irrespectrive of managers, who insisted managers bought into the vision and followed the plan, Swansea who carried on moving forward despite losing Martinez, De Sousa, and Rogers. Swansea who made the Premier League whilst paying less in transfer fees and half the wage budget of Bristol City and who play in a new stadium (granted the stadium is council funded). Swansea who have moved to the level where they could attract Michael Laudrup and beat Chelsea and sit comfortably in the PL table.

Huw Jenkins - their Chairman -has achieved all this without bringing their club to unprecedented levels of debt.

SL = decent bloke but his record is poor, fortunately his pockets are deep enough to cover his mistakes

That might be a little harsh on SL but the phrase "decent bloke" is interesting. I think in the case of both SL and Del there's a bit of confusion between fans wanting a decent bloke to do well and someone actually be successful. Everyone from board down through the manager to David Lloyd to the players at City seem to be decent blokes..... Reckon we could do with one or two horrible blokes around the place!!!

You make very good points and it's hard to argue with most of them. However, clearly he aint going anywhere and anything other than supporting the manager and more importantly giving the team our full vocal support from this point on just aint going to do anyone any favours. We all need to take a deep breath, draw that line under the past and move forward as one. If we dont then we will deffo go down . If we do then we have a chance. We, the fans , can be the difference. Lets make it count.

Just to be straight, I do support the manager when I'm at the game and don't go in for booing. (Though I would say everyone is entitled to express their views as they see fit - they pay enough for the privilege).

On here I think it's not about support but about healthy debate, challenge and expressing ideas and opinions. Everyone on here is a supporter - we wouldn't be here if we didn't care!!

My view

This...great post and highlights Lansdown's shortcomings as the holder of the purse strings... he may have lots of cash, but his record shows he doesn't know how to spend it wisely when it comes to a professional football club...

As for his philosophy in player recruitment - why, then, did he sanction the signing of Jody Morris?

While McInnes is in charge, I will not be spending my money at Ashton Gate.

For all those who still (mistakenly) think DMC is soon for the chop, check out Steve Lansdown's interview on the OS (also to be in the programme on Saturday) about player recruitment policy.

I think that this approach to player recruitment is long overdue but more importantly, SL makes it very clear that DMC is deeply involved in this process.

SL is a clever man. I am convinced that this is his subtle message to us fans that we are sticking with Del for some time to come.

I share many of the reservations on here about his team selection but I think we now need a period of managerial stability.

So does SL and the board - it seems.

I disagree. If you have a long-term recruitment policy in place that is partly independent of the manager, it makes it easier for you to change the manager.

In the Moneyball film (based on a true story, which I presume someone at the club has watched), a similar tactic was used to undermine the power of the coach and the scouts.

Of course Del is here for the duration, I thought that was abundantly clear when Lansdown came on the pitch at half time. That didnt sound like a owner who was panicking about our situation, it looks like he is backing Mcinnes in this window, so for me that is good enough and fans now have to get behind the team whatever opinions are about Mcinnes.

Of course if your Danny P or Officially Red you could still start a bizarre protest....because we own the club according to them and Lansdown will definately listen to us.

We don't have to look too far from our own doorsteps to see that changing managers all of the time is not always the best way to progress. I am still undecided about Del but I think the club has left it too late to sack him now and perhaps we should just all get behind the club and see what we can do.

How about trying to recreate the atmosphere we had at the end of last season, may give us all the lift we need!

My view

Great Post!

Archived