IGNORED

Craig Levein Back... At City...

Ricardo 'Livi' Red

What's the problem?

I assume he's down here doing a bit of coaching for his mate McInnes.

But why worry so much? Name me a Coach we have had at the club for any length of time in the last 20 years who has demonstrated a track record in IMPROVING players we have bought or that have come through the Youth system?

Players like Skuse, Maynard, Adohmah, Pitman etc. have not made anywhere near the improvement both technically and tactically that they would and should have had they spent the same time at a club like say PALACE for example (look at Zaha and Bolasie) in their current team for starters.

So if Levein comes in and cannot improve players then he's only emulating everyone else. If he cannot organise us defensively then he's no worse than McInnes and Doherty as far as I can see. He couldn't possibly make us any more disorganised than we already are - and that is a stonewall fact!! Nothing to worry about.

What's the problem?

But why worry so much? Name me a Coach we have had at the club for any length of time in the last 20 years who has demonstrated a track record in IMPROVING players we have bought or that have come through the Youth system?

Players like Skuse, Maynard, Adohmah, Pitman etc. have not made anywhere near the improvement both technically and tactically that they would and should have had they spent the same time at a club like say PALACE for example (look at Zaha and Bolasie) in their current team for starters.

So if Levein comes in and cannot improve players then he's only emulating everyone else. If he cannot organise us defensively then he's no worse than McInnes and Doherty as far as I can see. He couldn't possibly make us any more disorganised than we already are - and that is a stonewall fact!! Nothing to worry about.

Tony Fawthrop

In fact, if McInnes does have him down here coaching the team in areas where he himself and Docherty have been unable to "translate the message" and if it works then we have to say fair play to the bloke for admitting defeat and getting a better coach in!!

Spot on!

Just because Levein was a flop as an international manager, doesn't mean he won't add to the mix as a coach.

What's the problem?

That's a bit harsh; Maynard improved dramatically from his first season with us to his second and I strongly suspect that if he'd got injured skiing or whatever the heck he was doing, he'd have gone to the Premier League for decent money. Adomah has also improved as a player while he's been here, certainly in terms of his consistency and composure. Skuse is a moot point to a degree; he's clearly not fulfilled his potential but I don't think coaching can be put squarely at the door of that failure. I'm not disagreeing that our coaching set up hasn't always been top standard, just that it hasn't been an abject failure

I actually think better examples may have been with Tommy Doc (more football coaching, less drinking coaching), Marvin Brown or Plummer; our failure seems to be in translating raw talent to a proper footballer rather than improving players who've perhaps already attained a certain level

Steve Wigley improved a lot of the young players at the club whilst he was here and that was only two years ago

we haven't seen it because they've not be involved with the first team much but I'd like to think he had a massive impact on the youngsters and willie mcstay is also improving them,

We've heard great things about wes burns jack batton even elan gordan so they must be some improvements there,

The picture is probably from ages ago, the Scottish national team used our facilities in-between international fixtures, one being Wales.

2001/02 i think

Defiantly a recent foggy day.

And this season's training gear.

He has taken a break from his 'compo fight' with SFA to help under pressure McInnes on training ground.

I wish SL and Del would look to places where there is true expertise and the latest thinking on coaching e.g.. Portugal, Holland.

Scotland is not the centre of coaching excellence.

as said above - Bristol City do not improve players who come to us - just the opposite happens.

It would be an enlightened move by SL to spend serious money getting the best coaches from europe to improve our young players and established players rather than think the answer to success lies in buying so-called better players.

Apart from Fawthrop we have not been able to hang on to good coaches at the club for any length of time as far as I can recall. Gorman and Wigley do have great reputations in the game but how long did they actually spend with us? Not long enough to make a lasting impression and improve standards in the long term?

Nicky Maynard still had major faults in his game when he left us in my view and, say what you like, I wouldn't waste a penny of my cash betting on Albert to be able to "pick a player out" with a cross. I'd have a dabble on him to beat a player in a 1 v 1 but then I'd leave my money in my pocket I'm afraid!!

Apart from Fawthrop we have not been able to hang on to good coaches at the club for any length of time as far as I can recall. Gorman and Wigley do have great reputations in the game but how long did they actually spend with us? Not long enough to make a lasting impression and improve standards in the long term?

Nicky Maynard still had major faults in his game when he left us in my view and, say what you like, I wouldn't waste a penny of my cash betting on Albert to be able to "pick a player out" with a cross. I'd have a dabble on him to beat a player in a 1 v 1 but then I'd leave my money in my pocket I'm afraid!!

Hopefully that will change after an intensive ACN training routine.

Funnily enough he put in two or three pinpoint crosses for Ghana yesterday!

albert came here as a legue 2 nobody and has become and Ghana international you know the team that got further in the world cup then us,

Maynard came as a legue 2 striker and left to a championship club chasing promotion

sorry both those players improved massivly with us

Yannock Balsie came as a legue two player left as a championship winger

Rigg to stoke imprved while with us

albert came here as a legue 2 nobody and has become and Ghana international you know the team that got further in the world cup then us,

Maynard came as a legue 2 striker and left to a championship club chasing promotion

sorry both those players improved massivly with us

I don't think Maynard improved "massively" at all. Remember he only had one good season for us. For example his first touch outside the box was poor when he joined us and was not much better when he left. Allardyce, who knows a player if nothing else, couldn't wait to get rid after only a few months. We certainly didn't coach him into a "Premiership" standard player, that's for sure. In fact I would suggest Allardyce was thoroughly underwhelmed with what he saw from Maynard. He was bought as an insurance policy on the basis that if you create chances for him at Championship level he will definitely bang the goals in - a fact we pretty much knew when we bought him ourselves.

If we had improved Maynard "massively" we would have received enough offers to have made a tidy profit on him rather than a loss - regardless of his contractual situation.

Albert is a slightly different kettle of fish. He has improved but I would say mainly on the tactical side and in his judgement of when to take players on, when to release the ball etc. But whether he plays for Ghana, England, Brazil or even the Cook Islands I watch the bloke on a regular basis and the standard of his crossing in general (i.e. in terms of consistency not picking out the odd occasion when he has hit a fantastic cross) has not improved ENOUGH from where it was to where it is now in my opinion.

Archived