IGNORED

Heaton

And Its Smith

He is becoming a divisive figure isn't he?

Personally, I am not a fan and cannot understand why (a) he didn't come for the cross that resulted in the goal on Saturday and (b) why nobody has mentioned on here yet, unless I've missed something.

The header was from four yards out! I wonder if he is just scared to come off of his line....

Personally think Heatons been equally as responsible for our lack of clean sheets as the defence. As you say NEVER comes out to command his area, as if hes a table football goalkeeper stuck on his line!

Saying that I admit I was calling for Gerkin to replace him, and when he did he had a howler too so maybe we need to ditch the pair when their contracts run out at the end of the season and bring someone else in.

He is becoming a divisive figure isn't he?

Personally, I am not a fan and cannot understand why (a) he didn't come for the cross that resulted in the goal on Saturday and (b) why nobody has mentioned on here yet, unless I've missed something.

The header was from four yards out! I wonder if he is just scared to come off of his line....

We did have a good keeper in Henderson. He shot off because Lansdown signed James on 20k a week ? Now we're told we have to cut the wage bill. What a club !

Mods- would it be possible to just pin a 'I think Heaton is Shit' thread at the top of the list, alongside the 'Foster is a liability' and 'Why isn't Davies Starting?' threads. This would save everyone the time of having to check multiple threads for the same old tired opinions regurgitated when looking for an individual to blame in the wake of a defeat

Thanks

Mods- would it be possible to just pin a 'I think Heaton is Shit' thread at the top of the list, alongside the 'Foster is a liability' and 'Why isn't Davies Starting?' threads. This would save everyone the time of having to check multiple threads for the same old tired opinions regurgitated when looking for an individual to blame in the wake of a defeat

Thanks

Don't for get the LJ one.

..and don't even get me started on Mcallister...!

I think he has had his confidence knocked. I doubt he's ever had to pick the ball out of the back of the net so frequently in his entire career. And of course, if you're worried about what your defenders will do, you tend to try to stay on the line and await the inevitable shot.

At the start of the season, he did command his area and if S O'D brings back a bit of feel good, he will again.

I think he has had his confidence knocked. I doubt he's ever had to pick the ball out of the back of the net so frequently in his entire career. And of course, if you're worried about what your defenders will do, you tend to try to stay on the line and await the inevitable shot.

At the start of the season, he did command his area and if S O'D brings back a bit of feel good, he will again.

Can't agree I'm afraid. It was noticeable in the game against the Taffs that they were targeting his weakness at crosses/corners (they obviously had first hand knowledge). The difference was we won!

Can't agree I'm afraid. It was noticeable in the game against the Taffs that they were targeting his weakness at crosses/corners (they obviously had first hand knowledge). The difference was we won!

Unless my memory is totally at fault I remember him going out and claiming crosses in that game. Cardiff's interesting (and illegal) tactic was to obstruct the keeper to try to prevent this.

Personally I do not think now is the time, of all times, to be slagging off clearly the best goal keeper on our books; we are NOT getting another one in this window... at least I would very much doubt it.

Lets get behind the man who has proved his worth in the past and will do so again. As others have said confidence is half the battle; when that returns in full he will be one of the better goal keepers in this division.

Personally I do not think now is the time, of all times, to be slagging off clearly the best goal keeper on our books; we are NOT getting another one in this window... at least I would very much doubt it.

Lets get behind the man who has proved his worth in the past and will do so again. As others have said confidence is half the battle; when that returns in full he will be one of the better goal keepers in this division.

No.2 at Cardiff?

I'm guessing you weren't at the game? He made several good saves, caught almost every long ball into the box (i.e. didn't punch / spill any that came his way or that he went for) and I recall him diving on the ball once in a dangerous moment in which the attacker would have scored. He had a good game on Sat and I think all the doubters are the ones who don't go to the games and can't see all the things that he is doing well.

+1

Instead of blaming Heaton, the goal is entirely down to Barkley having far too much time to cross and Foster getting outdone in a header. It drops at the far post, it's a great cross. The only time Heaton could punch is at the far post, by which time Foster should be the one dealing with it anyway.

Still think there is a communication problem with him and the rest of defence. Interesting to read about sod working with fonts to restore his confidence and playing him on his prefered side. Lets be fair there are some half decent players in the city defence who are totally shot of confidence. This communication problem is probaly been compounded by lack of confidence in most of thd defence. Heaton is though best of what we got

when you have 14-17 shots a game coming at you (as we have all season) then your going to get 2 things -

1- you get to stop a lot of shots (comfortable saves from poor or long range efforts, good saves from decent efforts).

2- you let in a lot of goal, just the laws of averages say that if a team is getting chance after chance against you, some will go in.

So any average/decent keeper would have a string of games where he looked good due to the saves, and looked poor due to the amount of goals let in.....

From what I have seen Heaton (and Gerken) are the above - they are average/decent keepers - in a team where the defence was keeping chances down to 5-6 shots a game, then they would possibly even look like great keepers as their efforts would have a far greater impact on the game (as opposed to leaking goals no matter what).

So do we fork out for a new keeper in the hope of increasing the saved/goal ratio but still letting in the odd goal due to averages - or do we tighten the defence, to get the same effect by reducing the opportunities the opposition get (or do both and possibly become a team that oppositions have to play well just to eeeek out a 1 goal advantage - which will increase out win/draw rations).

There's nothing wrong with Heaton that a settled defence won't fix and Gerken is reasonable backup. We have bigger problems in the team like right back, centre half and left wing without inventing more.

Good points..

Its been suggested confidence is a factor... so how about boosting the man between the sticks and singing/chanting a few lyrics from this old song -

a/ when he takes up position at the beginning of the match.. and ... b/ when he does something good, making a save / claiming a cross etc... The Heat is On..

Archived