IGNORED

Interesting Statement By G**rge F*rg*s*n

Mighty Squirrel Kingdom

Apologies to the Mods if this is in the wrong section, but I'd be interested in what everyone else thinks of this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/architecture-design-blog/2013/jan/21/bristol-architect-mayor-george-ferguson

"I'm going to launch a competition for a 12,000-seat arena," he proclaimed at the NLA, to the assembled architects' glee. "Bristol is left off the concert map because we are the only city without a proper arena."

He also said:

"I'm going to be intolerant of bad architecture"

I wonder if I'm alone in thinking that this might be the real reason he was so opposed to our new stadium. Presumably it would have been 'bad architecture' (he wouldn't have designed it) and he's obviously had long term plans for something that would have been scuppered if we'd been allowed to build a multi-purpose stadium before he was 'elected' mayor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a 'proper arena'. But we have the money put aside for one.

The bloke is a grade A, ass! I would be utterly amazed if this project did not line the pockets of either one of his, or one of his "friends" companies.

He is as corrupt as they come, when it comes to the tendering of contracts.

It was a bad day for Bristol and a happy day for GF's accountant, when he was elected control of our city!

Apologies to the Mods if this is in the wrong section, but I'd be interested in what everyone else thinks of this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/architecture-design-blog/2013/jan/21/bristol-architect-mayor-george-ferguson

"I'm going to launch a competition for a 12,000-seat arena," he proclaimed at the NLA, to the assembled architects' glee. "Bristol is left off the concert map because we are the only city without a proper arena."

He also said:

I wonder if I'm alone in thinking that this might be the real reason he was so opposed to our new stadium. Presumably it would have been 'bad architecture' (he wouldn't have designed it) and he's obviously had long term plans for something that would have been scuppered if we'd been allowed to build a multi-purpose stadium before he was 'elected' mayor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a 'proper arena'. But we have the money put aside for one.

Thought he opposed to Sainsburys not the stadium (or at least I thought that was his official line).

I have it on good authority from an ex-Council employee that this project was originally discussed at least a decade ago and that there may have been some input by both ourselves and Rovers.

At least 20 Years ago when the Bath Road Diesel Depot closed down [sIGH]

Haha if you believe that you're seriously deluded.

TBH whether he does or doesn't there is little he can do it as it isn't his decision. He's stated his support for a stadium there, but ultimately we're at the mercy of a hopelessly flawed planning process.

He also said:

I dont believe he his refering to the stadium or its design. He is basically having a pop at some of the bland and brutal architecture that blights many parts of central Bristol. Some of this was poor post-war design but there is also some more recent additions that truly are awful. That said, he is not a fan of iconic tall buildings however well designed, so dont expect many of those sprining up over the next 3 years.

As for an arena, he wants to push hard for an arena on the Bath Road depot site which has always been the preferred site. He wants it to be green, sustainable and underway by time his leadership is up......Ferguson's legacy if you will.

I'll believe it when i've bought a seat to see a concert after watching city win at AV!!

He also said:

Steve Lansdown stated there were no plans for an arena on the Ashton Vale site.

Steve Lansdown stated there were no plans for an arena on the Ashton Vale site.

In the planning application there was a quote from the Electricity company which quoted for the new stadium and arena, the arena was not ever mentioned again until planning permission was granted.

Why does everyone hate George ferguson? (actual reasons )

So far he has no real plans as such that are prosperous for the city, but that said it is very early days. The idea of no car Sundays, cutting Bus routes at night to save money and today in the Post about 'Youth Mayors' is frankly ridiculous!

The lack of a proper arena in Bristol is shameful and, unlike the standard of football, is something that is within the Council's control. That's why I believe the good people of Bristol voted for a non-politician for a Mayor, as a reaction to the "ya-boo" politics that have dominated Bristol since at least the late 70s, when Dawn Primarolo encouraged Labour Councillors to oppose the proposed Avon Metro as it was backed by Richrad Cotterill (ex local TV), who happened to be a Tory. The debacle of the land purchased for an arena near Temple Meads (which turned out to be unsuitable) wasted another 5 or so years and now we seem to be as far away as ever. The fact that locals have to travel to Brum, London, Cardiff or even Bournemouth to see a show or concert that will attract over 2,000 people is an embarassment to the City, if GF can sort it that will be a fine legacy. And I say that as someone who personally prefers to watch a gig in small intimate venues (check out Nell Bryden at the Louisiana on Friday night), but you gotta give the people what they want - whether that's the X-Factor tour or Girls Aloud on your doorstep :banana: then so be it!

Why does everyone hate George ferguson? (actual reasons )

I don't hate him. I respect him as a social entrepreneur, and admire his ability to spot a project. I do feel however that:

He has inconsistent political views. He was against a Sainsbury's at Ashton Gate because of local business, and in favour of one at the Memorial Ground. That doesn't make sense. I want my mayor to be able to maintain a consistent view.

As a mayor and an active businessman, he has a huge potential conflict of interest. It just so happens that one of those Sainsbury's has the potential to impact his business and the other doesn't. I'm sure it's a coincidence because he's so ethical.

He is not a football fan despite claiming he is. He initially banned football shirts from the Tobacco Factory. It was only when he realised that the football shirt wearers are less likely to cause trouble that he changed it. A football fan would never have made this mistake the first place.

His red trousers are a silly affectation. I don't hate this, but it does seem silly.

He isn't as bold as he thinks he is. There were several routes to unlocking funding for his Ashton Gate plans, from having people invest via their pension schemes to corporate funding. If he thought it was such a good idea, why didn't he look at raising commitments to that funding, so that he could afford to buy the site for, say, £18m? He could then have made a public offer to Lansdown and City could have at least considered it. He didn't put his money where his mouth was.

He gets far too much credit for the regeneration of North Street. The TF played a part, no doubt. But I'm sure a lot of the area's footfall increased with Aldi. Plus the TF site would have been unviable were it not for the work Aldi did. But nobody sees that and it should be pointed out.

He doesn't seem empathic to people who don't fit within his middle-class liberal world views. Not just the football shirts, but also the recent grit fiasco. £20k saved to cost businesses millions. He's alright: most of his staff will live locally (as is common with bar staff).

I prefer a Bristol with George Ferguson than without, and love what he has done with theatre and bars in this city. But I would rather he was nowhere near our politics and I can't help but feel he gets a lot more adulation than is merited.

Regarding the Tobacco Factory/Aldi angle, I'm not far away from either and it was interesting to see that before Christmas a lot of the people who were hanging about at the markets in the TF car park apparently ended up spending more money in Aldi.

I decided not to drink in the TF after the ban on shirts, a decision which was made a lot easier when GF's initial position on the new stadium became clearer.

BTW, thanks for the responses. Always interesting to hear what other fans think. Time will tell how GF and his policies will affect Bristol and I'd imagine that his record will come into far sharper focus when the next Mayoral elections are imminent.

I don't hate him. I respect him as a social entrepreneur, and admire his ability to spot a project. I do feel however that:

He has inconsistent political views. He was against a Sainsbury's at Ashton Gate because of local business, and in favour of one at the Memorial Ground. That doesn't make sense. I want my mayor to be able to maintain a consistent view.

As a mayor and an active businessman, he has a huge potential conflict of interest. It just so happens that one of those Sainsbury's has the potential to impact his business and the other doesn't. I'm sure it's a coincidence because he's so ethical.

He is not a football fan despite claiming he is. He initially banned football shirts from the Tobacco Factory. It was only when he realised that the football shirt wearers are less likely to cause trouble that he changed it. A football fan would never have made this mistake the first place.

His red trousers are a silly affectation. I don't hate this, but it does seem silly.

He isn't as bold as he thinks he is. There were several routes to unlocking funding for his Ashton Gate plans, from having people invest via their pension schemes to corporate funding. If he thought it was such a good idea, why didn't he look at raising commitments to that funding, so that he could afford to buy the site for, say, £18m? He could then have made a public offer to Lansdown and City could have at least considered it. He didn't put his money where his mouth was.

He gets far too much credit for the regeneration of North Street. The TF played a part, no doubt. But I'm sure a lot of the area's footfall increased with Aldi. Plus the TF site would have been unviable were it not for the work Aldi did. But nobody sees that and it should be pointed out.

He doesn't seem empathic to people who don't fit within his middle-class liberal world views. Not just the football shirts, but also the recent grit fiasco. £20k saved to cost businesses millions. He's alright: most of his staff will live locally (as is common with bar staff).

I prefer a Bristol with George Ferguson than without, and love what he has done with theatre and bars in this city. But I would rather he was nowhere near our politics and I can't help but feel he gets a lot more adulation than is merited.

Personally, whilst I recognise that much of what yiou say is true, am very pleased about him being Mayor. I hope and expect that he will improve things over his first term. Anyway, if not his sort of independent, professional then who? Marvin Rees? Some other low quaility, centrally controlled party hack? George Ferguson every time over that lot! Agree about the red trousers, BTW, although when Stony wears are red hat with a ******* feather in it then that's apparently quirky and characterful. Odd.

George Ferguson, 22 January 2013, quoted above:

“Because [Harbourside] was a strong partnership, they fooled themselves into thinking that they were right – the partnership became too cosy. They didn’t listen to the creative people, and just listened to the money people… the agents not the doers. We must never fall into that mistake again.”

From B24-7, 4 December 2012:

“Bristol mayor George Ferguson has appointed Zoe Sear, formerly of Destination Bristol...who was part of Mr Ferguson’s mayoral election campaign team...will be paid £45,243 a year for the new role...Ms Sear has previously worked with Destination Bristol and led the Harbourside Project, which has transformed the city centre waterfront.”

George Ferguson did not ban fans in football shirts, the manager of the Tobacco Factory did.

The Tobacco Factory was the catalyst for the regeneration of lower North Street. If it was Asda/SainsburyTesco the dynamics of the area would be very different.

Archived