IGNORED

Gary Jones - Bradford

Rule The Waves

Now thats what football is all about. Players and fans as one. I hope the lad makes a full recovery. There is nothing worse than childhood illness. The thought of one of my kids coming down with one scares the hell out of me.

Not wishing to pour scorn on this gesture...and very well done to him....and I sincerely hope the young lad recovers 100%.........but its only a shirt, which he didn't even have to buy himself? Its not exactly the greatest humanitarian act I have witnessed......The Swansea player giving out food to the homeless ....springs to mind as being a little more altruistic

Not wishing to pour scorn on this gesture...and very well done to him....and I sincerely hope the young lad recovers 100%.........but its only a shirt, which he didn't even have to buy himself? Its not exactly the greatest humanitarian act I have witnessed......The Swansea player giving out food to the homeless ....springs to mind as being a little more altruistic

Wow,

There is just no pleasing some people.

Only a shirt? That lad has the shirt of the captain of his favourite team from the night they got to wembley.

That shirt isn't free, it's priceless to that lad

Talk some sense mate, this lad is facing a fight against a fatal disease not finding somewhere to sleep tonight. I for one think the greater gesture is Gary jones if its given the boy a bit of strength to fight another day. I hope your kids are never ill.

He could of done nothing instead.....

Shouldn't matter how much money anyone makes to do something nice for someone else.

Plus I'd wager that the salary of a Bradford player is modest, but isn't going to break the bank in the bigger scheme of things.

What should he of done as well? Give his boots, shorts and car away as well?

I don't think maxjak was doubting how much it would mean to the boy, just that it wasn't a huge sacrifice to Gary Jones.

No? The shirt worn on the greatest victory of his career? That's the sort of thing I'd hold onto forever and give to my grand kids!

Lovely gesture, deserves no negative comments at all!

The food given out by that particular player was described by himself as "Food we had leftover"...

So despite being on however many thousands per week, he didn't apparently rush down to Costco and buy stuff to give away..

By your reckoning, no more humanitarian than giving a free shirt away...

Neither player HAD to do it, but both CHOSE to, The Swansea player had time to think about what he wanted to do, the Bradford lad acted on the spur of the moment. Huge respect to him, and I bet it goes further behind the scenes, that unfortunate young lad will probably find himself a guest of the club on Final day.

Amid all the furore of Hazard kicking the ball boy, which is of course unacceptable, lets not forget, the ball boy WAS WELSH!! :yahoo:

The food given out by that particular player was described by himself as "Food we had leftover"...

So despite being on however many thousands per week, he didn't apparently rush down to Costco and buy stuff to give away..

By your reckoning, no more humanitarian than giving a free shirt away...

Neither player HAD to do it, but both CHOSE to, The Swansea player had time to think about what he wanted to do, the Bradford lad acted on the spur of the moment. Huge respect to him, and I bet it goes further behind the scenes, that unfortunate young lad will probably find himself a guest of the club on Final day.

Amid all the furore of Hazard kicking the ball boy, which is of course unacceptable, lets not forget, the ball boy WAS WELSH!! :yahoo:

Pretty certain that Rangel was in a 'sandwich shop' and his missus asked what was happening with the food that was still for sale minutes before the place was going to shut - was told it was going to be thrown away, so asked if they could dish it out to the homeless instead. Didn't cost him a penny, but didn't have to do it. Fair shout to him

Fair shout to Jones too. As others have said, biggest night of his life and he's given his shirt away, regardless of whether it's to a sick child or just a 'normal' fan it's a fantastic gesture

As a Dad of 3 it kills me to see kids like that, something that lad will remember for the rest of his (hopefully long and healthy) life

And yet Hazard will take the headlines, or Ballotelli will do something stupid again, or Suarez will come out with some more bollocks and this will be forgotten

• Gary Jones
  • The Guardian, Wednesday 23 January 2013 22.00 GMT
Gary-Jones-of-Bradford-Ci-008.jpg
Gary Jones of Bradford City kisses a supporter at the end at the Capital One Cup semi-final win over Aston Villa. Photograph: Kieran Galvin/Action Plus

The little lad I kissed after we knocked out Aston Villa was Jake Turton, who is recovering from a serious illness [a life threatening brain tumour]. He was a mascot in the first leg and I was drawn to him. As we were applauding the supporters I felt quite emotional with what we'd achieved on the night. I saw him and my first thought was to give him a little kiss, and I gave him my shirt as well. I just wanted to celebrate with the supporters.

It is a massive achievement for the club to be in the final and it's put Bradford City back on the map. Everyone knows we've been in administration twice in the last 10 years, having fallen out of the Premier League in 2001, so it's put the smile back on fans faces.

When Villa scored in the 89th-minute – making it 4-3 on aggregate to us – my heart was thumping a little bit more as we had to hold out for five minutes. It was a really intense moment and an unbelievable effort by everyone.

Then afterwards we were all in the changing room and the chairman, Mark Lawn, walked in and said: "Getting to Wembley has paid for the Las Vegas trip." The lads were in shock and there was a big roar. It's going to be a great few days away. No, I haven't been there before. A few lads have and they say it's an amazing place. I like a bit of a flutter, on the one-arm bandits, everyone likes a bet now and again on the Grand National or whatever so it should be a great experience.

I totally agree that as a fourth tier team we shouldn't be knocking out Arsenal, Aston Villa and Wigan Athletic, but a cup competition is a cup competition and that's why British football is so special: anyone can beat anyone on any given day.

The best result was defeating Villa – to beat a Premier League team over two legs is quite phenomenal really. No one dared give us a chance, no one dared give us a chance even after the first leg when we beat them 3-1 at our place. And, we did it at their ground. It was quite a scary moment when they started as they did – like a train. When they got the first goal after 20 minutes we thought we were in for a really long night. But we stuck together, weathered the storm and after we scored on 55 minutes I thought we were the better team.

Phil Parkinson is a great manager, a great man manager and a coach as well. He's got a great right-hand man in Steve Parkin as well and his fitness coach Nick Allamby is fantastic. The manager's not one who rants and raves, he's quite calm and collected.

Everyone knows Blackpool came knocking for him a couple of weeks ago and he turned that down to concentrate on his job in hand.

It is about time the chairman did the new deal for the contract with the manager – every Premier League team we beat the deal gets higher and higher. Mark Lawn is probably shaking in his boots a little bit but I'm sure he will give him it!

My contract is up at the end of the season, too. I'm enjoying my football more than I have in a few years, we're doing quite well at the moment so hopefully I can get myself sorted and Phil can get himself sorted too.

Of course we have a chance of winning the final – it's what you dream of. Everyone loves an underdog don't they? Everyone will be willing us to do well because we've captured the hearts of the nation a little bit.

We've proved over the cup run that we can beat Premier League teams on any given day. We're not going there to make up the numbers, we're there on merit. Its 11 men versus 11 men: hopefully we can take it to penalties.

I've played at Wembley before, for Rochdale in the 2008 League Two play-off final. We lost to Stockport. There was about 30,000 watching. It will be treble that when we play the Capital One Cup final – close to 90,000.

It hasn't really sunk in yet. When you hear things like it's a fact I'm only 90 minutes away from lifting the League Cup I get goose bumps. And after that, we can go and win the Europa League – that'll be good! Its what dreams are made of, this is what we play football for.

Gary Jones is the captain of Bradford City and has played in every game of their Capital One Cup run to Wembley

only on OTIB..

What a cockend.

oh for goodness sake!

A football shirt from a player can make a young/old person's day. I'd be well chuffed…it's the thought that counts

Archived