IGNORED

Fontaine, Elliot - Can Someone Explain?

redlandrebel

Can someone explain why Millen, McInnes and now O'Driscoll all favour Fontaine when he patently less use than a chocolate tea pot?

As some one else said in another thread, Fontaine's ineptitude (or is there another reason he plays so abysmally?) and the resultant goals could be the difference between staying up and going down.

Then there's Elliot - totally out of his league - literally! - yesterday. It was embarrassing. He had perhaps two touches of the ball yesterday and they were totally ineffective.

Can someone explain why Millen, McInnes and now O'Driscoll all favour Fontaine when he patently less use than a chocolate tea pot?

As some one else said in another thread, Fontaine's ineptitude (or is there another reason he plays so abysmally?) and the resultant goals could be the difference between staying up and going down.

Then there's Elliot - totally out of his league - literally! - yesterday. It was embarrassing. He had perhaps two touches of the ball yesterday and they were totally ineffective.

His first touch was smashing through two of their guys, winning posession then starting a counter attack. His second touch, a pass out to the wing was pretty bad and was intercepted. Typical Marv.

Probably because the alternatives are worse? Tangs for example

Looks like Elliots legs have gone or he has lost his match fitness. The ref had more energy yesterday and he was so off the pace himself. Lets give S.O.D a chance with everyone though. If he can get them all playing in the correct roles and to their strengths, we may well see a lot more promise from what has gone before. We wanted 10 wins from 20 games(i.e. 50%) and so far we have 1 win from 2, so we are on track. But, and its a big but, Watford on Tues will be tough.

Looks like Elliots legs have gone or he has lost his match fitness. The ref had more energy yesterday and he was so off the pace himself. Lets give S.O.D a chance with everyone though. If he can get them all playing in the correct roles and to their strengths, we may well see a lot more promise from what has gone before. We wanted 10 wins from 20 games(i.e. 50%) and so far we have 1 win from 2, so we are on track. But, and its a big but, Watford on Tues will be tough.

think 2 points out of our next 2 games will be 2 great results

think 2 points out of our next 2 games will be 2 great results

In ordinary circumstances I'd agree - and we'll have done well if we get through those games unbeaten but with the gap between us and safety I can't help thinking it won't be enough. Tough though Watford are to beat at the moment, I think we absolutely have to beat them and get a point at Blackburn (or vice-versa) or we'll be well adrift...

In ordinary circumstances I'd agree - and we'll have done well if we get through those games unbeaten but with the gap between us and safety I can't help thinking it won't be enough. Tough though Watford are to beat at the moment, I think we absolutely have to beat them and get a point at Blackburn (or vice-versa) or we'll be well adrift...

Just looked at the fixtures up to end of February, We keep saying that an average of 1.5 points per dame is needed, but can you see where we can get 9 points from this lot:

City V Watford

Blackburn V City

City V Forest

Cardiff V City

Palace V City

City V Barnsley

Looking at that I think I agree with you - a win against Watford on Tuesday is an absolute must.

Just looked at the fixtures up to end of February, We keep saying that an average of 1.5 points per dame is needed, but can you see where we can get 9 points from this lot:

City V Watford 3points

Blackburn V City 1point

City V Forest 3points

Cardiff V City 3points

Palace V City 1point

City V Barnsley 3points

Looking at that I think I agree with you - a win against Watford on Tuesday is an absolute must.

Cant see what the problem is meself

I used to believe that it was when he had too much time on the ball he struggled and when he was playing with instinct he was ok.

However now I panic whenever he has to do anything first time- should he head it back to the keeper or back up field, get rid or find a pass etc

He seems in two minds all the time. I'm sure it is a confidence thing but him being unsure puts the crowd on edge, putting him on edge, making him second guess himself. It's a downward spiral and I believe some time out of the fireing line could benefit him, but who would we play instead?

You're right! He is our Torres!

How anyone can say Fonts played well yesterday i'll never know, he s*its himself when the balls at his feet and doesn't know how to tackle.

As for elliot hes past it, a shadow of his former self.

Definately. Yea he headed some balls away, but he pisses himself when confronted with any physical demand.

Fonts is there because he is a decent player but has lost his way a little this season and currently we have no replacement.

Sadly I agree with the Elliot comments that the last injury has effected him hugely , not the same player at all.

I'd much rather have Reid on the bench but for the moment seems Sod is using experience , which is fair enough for the circumstance we are in.

I suppose if any of the youngsters are good enough they will get there chances I hope.

Every time Murphy had the ball near Fontaine he just walked past him. It wasn't just the goal and it was painful to watch.

The only thing more painful was watching Skuse put his arms in the air every time he went near the opposition so the referee knew he wasn't making a tackle. I'm sure the referee could see as well as anyone in the ground that a tackle was the last thing he was going to do!

Aside from that most were solid in the second half. It's enough for a bit of optimism going into Tuesday anyway!

I'd still have Fontaine over Nyatangle, I think Liam is struggling big time with a lack of confidence, he's been a shambles all season.

Saturday was the best Fontaine has played for a good while. Granted it wasn't great but if we got nothing better then lets hope he continues to improve. Our 'poorer' players are the ones who are going to do the most to get us out of this mess by playing competent no frills football. If that means Fonts wellys the ball every time, then so be it - would people rather he dilly dallies and gives more chances away?

If we keep Carey fit I believe Fonts can begin to look like a footballer again.

I miss the days when Marv was an integral part of the midield, tackles flying in all game and scaring the opposite midfield sh*tless. Rapidly declined over the last few seasons and as others have stated, the injuries may mean we never see the Marv of old again.

Maybe, just maybe they know more than the average otib user? You can add Nigel Adkins to that list as well

They should do. But i wouldn't mind finding out how many points Fonts has cost us this season.

I don't subscribe to the argument he is shit. Woefully short of confidence, without doubt, and should never have been in the starting line up for much of the season, let alone captain

Fontaine I would say his problems are personal as you don't suddenly become a bad player,don't forget saints wanted to sign him last season obviously with the intention of playing him in the prem.

Elliott as you say looks dreadful and out of his league never the same player after his injury he is a ghost of his former self,he looks knackered all the time so perhaps he's pushing himself to much to get fit as he looks to have lost loads of weight if you didn't know better he looks ill.

Archived