IGNORED

Tonight Was Down To Del...

Big Red Rich

For making sure the Watford game was called off so SOD could take charge of the rearranged fixture!!!! Lets face it, I'm confident it would have been 2-0 on Boxing Day but we would all be crying into our leftover turkey and eating those blasted toffee pennies at the bottom of the quality street box!!!!!!!

Well, the postponement of the Watford match on Boxing Day did set in motion a series of events which will hopefully save us! As previously mentioned, if the game had been played , we would probably have lost. The fact we didn't play helped us win the crucial match against Peterborough (who did play Boxing Day), the added stroke of luck being Posh played with10 men for most of the game. They were absolutely shattered by the end of the game, but even so managed to score twice against us with 10 men. So a crucial 3 points against our rivals, who were, if we remember, on top form at the time.

What Dell did next may well prove to be the defining period of the season. By switching it all around at Millwall, any momentum was lost and the following disastrous results (Blackburn in the cup and Leicester at home) made his position untenable and, in truth it seemed more an more unlikely that he was going to be able to turn it around this time. In my view, and I don't say this in hindsight (and we may still end up being relegated) SOD was the outstanding candidate, especially of anyone out of work. So, we missed out at Leeds, got a valuable win against Ipswich, and SOD and the team got it spot on tonight, so we have bagged 6 points from 2 home games that would have been 1 point at best with Del at the helm, despite some dreaful luck with injuries - that's one thing that hasn't changed.

We still have plenty to do but I always felt that we do not have a squad that should be relegated - its not great, but certainly should not be amongst the worst 3 in the league. As for those who thought it was an impossible task to claw back 7 points with 57 to play for and a game in hand :surrender: (+ a new manager) , well............you might be right, let's hope not!

Archived