IGNORED

Louis Carey - Past It

Bowie

There is only one two things that bother me about Carey:

1) His age - yes he's putting in the performances and that's all that matters and I love the guy for that, there is no denying he's done this club a massive service and will continue to do so for a very long time but there will come a point where his legs will go or he won't be able to keep up. That's really disappoints me as I know sooner or later we'll have to let go of a very loyal club player, which leads me onto...

2) The age old tradition of Bristol City not being able to let go of the old boys. I'm really worried that people won't want to let Carey go and the same with the club, I'm worried he'll get a job with the club that is not best suited to him just because we don't want to see him go or feel we owe him.

This is where I'm conflicted with Carey, I don't want to see him retire but I also don't want to see him go on to become another Tinnion, someone who lost a bit of their love from the fans because the club try to keep him on. I know Carey will give everything he can to this club but I just hope when his days come to an end here that he walks away with this head held high and all of us able to walk up to him in the street and shake his hand happily when we see him.

Does anyone else have that little niggle?

Other than that Carey is a legend for the sheer fact he's given over 15 years to this club and his determination to keep going only continues to impress me.

No worries, its a fair question in reply. I for one have not seen him play enough to be able to say in those specific games he didnt give 100%. As i said, others are clearly guilty as well, the line up last night was practically the same group of players we have had all season. To generalise, i suppose any game in which we have shipped a few goals, questions must be asked of the defence.

It would strike me as odd that he would consistently of been the shining light in yet another dire defensive performance given how many goals have flown in and the general below par performances across the team.

I don't want to knock the bloke, he's clearly City through and through and every club needs a player like that. It just leaves me a little puzzled that someone that puts in a performance where its clear to se

e he would run through walls for the club seems to be able to switch that on and off.

I've seen Louis make mistakes, but not seen him give less than 100%.

Perhaps the question ought to be asked more of Fontaine, Elliott, Pearson - and even Heaton, who was more mobile last night than he's been all season.

I've seen Louis make mistakes, but not seen him give less than 100%.

Perhaps the question ought to be asked more of Fontaine, Elliott, Pearson - and even Heaton, who was more mobile last night than he's been all season.

Indeed, there are plenty who we could point a stiffer finger at than Louis.

From what i gather he has been a rock in the last couple of games, again it just makes me wonder why that level of commitment or performance has not been there in previous months. He's stood out with that level of performance. Trying every game is one thing, effecting it is another.

He's playing like he did near the end of last season and for that ive no complaints at all.

I recall a number of people stating as FACTS how past it Louis Carey was

Wasn't fit to be in the team

Shouldn't have got a contract

Wasn't Capable if playing 2 games within a week.

Well....you can stick that up your ass, two FANTASTIC performances over the last 4 days, Man of the Match Saturday, Inspirational Captains performance tonight!

Has Performed well WHEN called upon this season and been one of the few not to let the club down this season when played.

WELL DONE LOUIS - deserved fans respect at end of game and long may these performances continue!

Here's to Atyeo's Record Breaking!!!!

Have to say i completely agree with this Phil.

He had a great game on Saturday and a solid - no more than that - game last night.

Our best, most influential players last night were the excellent Anderson and Cunningham, followed by Pearson who gave a battling and committed performance of hitherto unseen proportions.

As one of those known for stating Carey didn't 'deserve another year', I've have never said he can't play a good game or two, it is his ability to contribute enough over a season, after 2 consecutive seasons where he only managed 21 apps., that is in question.

If he plays in most of the rest of the games AND maintains a high level of performance he will have proved his worth and shown the club was right to keep him on, and in that case I for one will be happy to come on here and accept he proved me wrong.

He had a great game on Saturday and a solid - no more than that - game last night.

Our best, most influential players last night were the excellent Anderson and Cunningham, followed by Pearson who gave a battling and committed performance of hitherto unseen proportions.

As one of those known for stating Carey didn't 'deserve another year', I've have never said he can't play a good game or two, it is his ability to contribute enough over a season, after 2 consecutive seasons where he only managed 21 apps., that is in question.

If he plays in most of the rest of the games AND maintains a high level of performance he will have proved his worth and shown the club was right to keep him on, and in that case I for one will be happy to come on here and accept he proved me wrong.

Mate, he's already done that.

One of the reasons he didn't have that many appearances was McInnes's management. With Anderson, we've already seen how wrong that can be.

Mate, he's already done that.

One of the reasons he didn't have that many appearances was McInnes's management. With Anderson, we've already seen how wrong that can be.

I don't agree he's already done it Robbo, but as I said if he makes a major contribution in terms of appearances and effectiveness between now and the end of the season then I'll be happy concede my judgement on Carey was premature.

It's one thing performing like he has for a couple of games, quite another to do it consistently over 15 games.

Despite what you say we don't actually know why Del left him out. We do know he's had injuries and and there may have been other occasions when he wasn't injured, but not thought to be 100%, or indeed perhaps hadn't looked the part in training.

He's certainly looking the part on the pitch for SO'D at the moment so let's hope he can remain match fit and keep it up.

It wasn't my intention to get into a long conversation on this thread, I've made my position clear so let's just see what the rest of the season brings.

I don't agree he's already done it Robbo, but as I said if he makes a major contribution in terms of appearances and effectiveness between now and the end of the season then I'll be happy concede my judgement on Carey was premature.

It's one thing performing like he has for a couple of games, quite another to do it consistently over 15 games.

Despite what you say we don't actually know why Del left him out. We do know he's had injuries and and there may have been other occasions when he wasn't injured, but not thought to be 100%, or indeed perhaps hadn't looked the part in training.

He's certainly looking the part on the pitch for SO'D at the moment so let's hope he can remain match fit and keep it up.

It wasn't my intention to get into a long conversation on this thread, I've made my position clear so let's just see what the rest of the season brings.

Fair enough.

One thing I'd say though to "we don't actually know why Del left him out" is we could say the same for Anderson. My suggestion to why Carey was not preferred when he was available is that Derek McInnes was a bad man manager.

I've don't like him I never said he wasn't a good player and I've said he is the best captain we've got

Come on then Monkeh,

I am intrigued to know why you hate him so much? I can understand people not rating players as players, but that's football and we all have our opinions.

But you can't not like someone as a person without a reason?? Something your not telling us? Seems a little strange to me.

Blige! Are we allowed to say things like that on here?

The problem is that at for the last 2/3 seasons Carey should have been the ideal man to have as back up. Unfortunately, other factors have have meant that we often haven't been able to manage without him and as a result he has continued to be the future as far as our central defensive position is concerned.

With the way he is playing, I would argue there is a case for making him captain for the remainder of the season as he leads by example, and as Fonts has been struggling for form and confidence and the only question is whether his fitness will stand the pace. It is still going to be one heck of a fight for survival and Carey is the ideal man to lead a team in such circumstances. It would be tough on Fonts but now is the time to do the right thing for the team and the club.

However, I also hope that SOD is able to sort out the right men to fill our central defensive positions long term, even if it means the end fo Louis's time at AG, as the problems in central defense have really been the root cause of our problems for the last 2/3 seasons.

With the way he is playing, I would argue there is a case for making him captain for the remainder of the season as he leads by example, and as Fonts has been struggling for form and confidence and the only question is whether his fitness will stand the pace. It is still going to be one heck of a fight for survival and Carey is the ideal man to lead a team in such circumstances. It would be tough on Fonts but now is the time to do the right thing for the team and the club.

Fontaine had the armband taken off him before the Ipswich away game. Skuse has been captain since then.

Although I agree that Louis is comfortably the best candidate to be captain, he does not need to be wearing the armband for him to marshall the defence or inspire the rest of the team.

There is only one two things that bother me about Carey:

1) His age - yes he's putting in the performances and that's all that matters and I love the guy for that, there is no denying he's done this club a massive service and will continue to do so for a very long time but there will come a point where his legs will go or he won't be able to keep up. That's really disappoints me as I know sooner or later we'll have to let go of a very loyal club player, which leads me onto...

2) The age old tradition of Bristol City not being able to let go of the old boys. I'm really worried that people won't want to let Carey go and the same with the club, I'm worried he'll get a job with the club that is not best suited to him just because we don't want to see him go or feel we owe him.

This is where I'm conflicted with Carey, I don't want to see him retire but I also don't want to see him go on to become another Tinnion, someone who lost a bit of their love from the fans because the club try to keep him on. I know Carey will give everything he can to this club but I just hope when his days come to an end here that he walks away with this head held high and all of us able to walk up to him in the street and shake his hand happily when we see him.

Does anyone else have that little niggle?

Other than that Carey is a legend for the sheer fact he's given over 15 years to this club and his determination to keep going only continues to impress me.

This mentality is exactly what's wrong with our club.

For Gods sake, we need continuity of such people as Louis behind the scenes at Ashton Gate, because the club actualy means something to them. and will not tolerate people taking the piss.

Every succesfull club has such legends working for them, look at the big boys, they all do, it's the link that's been missing at Ashton Gate between fans and players.

It's strange certain people can't see Louis is exactly the kind of guy we need when he finishes playing, be it with the Academy, coaching, or another kind of embassadorial position, after all he's earned it.

We don't want some P.E. teacher cos he has the qualifications, but zero experience in the real world of football, and no respect from the players.

Another thing, how come this "jobs for the boys" is completely overlooked with the board?

We have a 12 year old, wet behind the ears Managing Director Of Football, who's only qualification is his Dad happens to be the major shareholder?

Can you honesty say he's there on merit?

No thought not.

Well done Louis, and keep going mate, with you at the helm there's every chance we could actually pull this off.

Just reading a few comments saying he is a legend in my opinion... Why add the my opinion, find me 5 people that support the club that don't view him as a legend EVERY player for EVERY club that is 2nd on the appearance list will go down as a legend outright not just 'in your opinion.'

Has shown his passion for his club on many occasion ....none more so than the last couple of games and may it continue

But I can gurantee he is feeling it today.....and would not be surprised if he doesn't make saturday which will be a shame..

Great for now though and a club legend without doubt.............. but he is not the future is he...........

Age is only a number, Garry Monk 33 playing in the prem, Kevin Phillips of course 39 years of age and still banging the goals in at Blackpool. Some players just get better or stay better as they get on!

Not to mention Dean Windass and Ryan Giggs..

I love the fact some people don't want this thread to turn in to another Louis Carey debate .....then when it doesn't, they try to goad people into it

Lets just let the guy limp over the alll time appearance line sooner rather then later....then we can look to the future

"limp over the alll time appearance line" ?? - seriously? He isn't putting in poor perfomances, he is giving everything and the manager can actually decide not to play him.

Until we "look to the future" Louis is the best we have though and recent performances prove it.

How can anyone limp to 639, and counting, appearances?

Archived