IGNORED

Well Red Notes

Tom Fleuriot

Great move by the club, putting O'Driscoll's Well Red notes online. I would understand if they chose to wait a few extra days in order to maximise programme sales, but publishing them at all is great.

If Adam and the team are reading this, please stick Lansdown's notes up as well. And if you have time for a full archive, that would be great (although you can guarantee some difficult git on here will start dredging through for hypocrisy, so would understand if you didn't).

Good move by the club indeed, hope it continues. The more I see from S.O.D. the happier I am. We've finally got a long term thinker with some brains who has the respect of the players and also understands the importance of psychology. GJ was our best manager in recent history and I'd say he only managed 2 1/2 out of those four so things are looking up.

What's S.O.D. missing? Glitter and press appeal. I can live without that.

Very interesting read, a friend told me how 'deep' the notes were pre-match and I am very grateful to be able to read them on the website.

A good move by the club, I will be buying a programme at the next home game for this alone.

I'm glad he's not got the press appeal - don't want to attract too much attention!

Good move by the club indeed, hope it continues. The more I see from S.O.D. the happier I am. We've finally got a long term thinker with some brains who has the respect of the players and also understands the importance of psychology. GJ was our best manager in recent history and I'd say he only managed 2 1/2 out of those four so things are looking up.

Aye, I'm finding myself eagerly anticipating his interviews and comments, even as a fan I feel I'm receiving something of an education from him too and I find that quite interesting.

He's certainly everything I hoped he would be.

The notes are very good in the programme, and it's good that the website is promoting them, BUT I hope this isn't a long term thing as it devalues the programmes that I pay a lot of money for.

I don't feel that is the case, I would prefer to have read the notes pre-match or at half-time. Even if it's just a one-off, the advert has worked on me, far better than a free programme (we can't loose 6-0 or 5-3 on a wednesday morning!)

Didnt I hear one club is selling the programme online before the game! (Cardiff maybe)

If this makes business sense It would be a great to have home and away....Just think of all the buyers for Hull City away...This could be tricky to do but it would bring in new revs for both the home club and away club I suspect....

Would that not be a good poll...Who would buy an away prog online (prior to listening to commentary) that would not normally travel

Spot on. Slightly disappointed he's not offered to bare his bottom in Burtons window yet, thats also an important quality, but plenty of time for that going forwards.

I thought SoD's notes in Saturday's matchday programme were good - but yesterday's surpassed these. He's clearly an articulate, thoughtful coach who has a workable short-term plan - as well as a sound "philosophy" about how to succeed in what is essentially a simple game...

Just hope that the players have the ears and brains to listen and respond - in the short and long term!

Was about to start a new thread about how much of a fresh approach O'Driscoll has brought in his programme notes when I saw this thread. Often they feel like you are reading the same stuff regardless of manager but these actually make you feel like it is a valued form of media for him to inform the fans, even educate as another poster said, of his beliefs and actions. It made me feel that we are very lucky to have him as our team's boss and, living in the midlands, I can tell you now there are a fair few wolves fans very jealous of our appointment compared to theirs. Even if we can't reach safety I am sure we are in the best possible hands to get back up. Come on you reds.

Excellent read from the ipswich and watford games, something about SOD excites me and no its not man love.

His interviews are great to listen to and i sometimes wish they went on longer. He talks about the game and youre sat there thinking " yep this is a guy who knows what the hell he is on about ".

He comes across as being one of the managers that, " you ask me a question and i will answer it honestly and if you dont like what im saying then tough, thats how it happened."

Del boy was a good talker but i always felt he was talking the things we wanted to hear, Odriscoll says believeable, factual points which make sense to me.

SOD is i believe and will become a great attribute to our club, a thinking tactician, the thinking mans manager.

I have renewed my belief and look at the future with a confident and very wry smile ;)

I am sure in a years time, if sod is here still and we are doing badly,this frank talk about processes will drive people up the wall, if we are constantly on the end of beatings.

Yep he is great to listen to, especially in this honeymoon period. Will this love in last though? Of course not :)

I will be happy though. It is the kind of approach to interviews I have been calling for for a good 5 seasons. Happy days.

SoD is certainly very interesting to listen to and as has been mentioned, it feels as if he is educating the fanbase as well as the players.

We were told by Donny fans that we would hear an lot about 'Processes and Outcomes' and he's certainly squeezing that lemon.

As TRL said, will we get bored of it after a while? I don't know. But for now, it is certainly very refreshing.

Am I the only one who thinks the SoD spiel is just management BS?

"processes" instead of "outcome". Er no! This is sport. There is only one measurement of value and that is the outcome (a.k.a. the score).

You can talk up the "process" all you want, but eventually it just comes down to the score (outcome).

His thinking is a get-out-of-jail card also: "OK, we've lost 4 in a row, but at least we're following the agreed process".

Yes, but we've lost four in a row!

I'm surprised so many on here are suggesting this makes him a deep-thinker.

Having read O'Driscoll's impressive analytical programme notes for the last two home games and seen most of his media interviews since his appointment, there is no doubt in my mind that our new man is a football intellectual.

Don't switch off now my fellow City fans. I simply mean he is applying a good brain to the job - as evidenced by recent results.

I loved GJ's showmanship (Burton's window and all that) and I would never slag off what he achieved - even if he ran out of ideas at the end.

BUT, if it comes to a good laugh versus results on the pitch ?

Obviously no contest.

I nearly forgot to mention that SOD already seems to be able to get the most out of players. Just one example (as others have mentioned on other threads) Marvin Elliot's excellent performance after he came on on Tuesday.

A player that I had written off as way past his best and ready to get rid of.

Just shows what a new approach can achieve.

Onwards and upwards !

"processes" instead of "outcome". Er no! This is sport. There is only one measurement of value and that is the outcome (a.k.a. the score).

You can talk up the "process" all you want, but eventually it just comes down to the score (outcome).

His thinking is a get-out-of-jail card also: "OK, we've lost 4 in a row, but at least we're following the agreed process".

Time will tell I suppose. You may be right but I suspect a lot of people thought the same about Dave Brailsford when he took over the cycling with his talk of 'marginal gains' and look what he did for British cycling and Team Sky! Personally I hope it's S O'D's unique way of doing things and that it turns our fortunes around.

It does seem like it's come straight out of "Systems Thinking" by Peter Checkland (published by Wiley available in all good bookstores).

My only real problem with him is that he needs to give his nose a good blow.

I nearly forgot to mention that SOD already seems to be able to get the most out of players. Just one example (as others have mentioned on other threads) Marvin Elliot's excellent performance after he came on on Tuesday.

It should never be underestimated how much better a footballer (or anyone in any profession) can perform when he is firstly fully aware of the job he is being asked to do and secondly confident he has the skills to perform it to the desired level.

Marv on Tuesday night is an obvious example of this. He was given clear instructions of the role that SO'D wanted him to fulfil and this role was something that is clearly suited to his skill set.

The language isn't what I'm impressed by - it is fairly typical business bullshit. The thinking behind it is much higher quality than you get from most managers. He talks about getting players to understand more and take more responsibility, he understands what is sustainable for a football club, he doesn't fall back on cliches and he tries to explain things instead of play it as though there's some hidden mystery. He's trying to get fans to understand that if you do things the right way throughout the club you will improve, and that you will do that sustainably whereas focusing on short term results and trying to patch things up with signings and cash without the right thinking underpinning what you do will not work. A deep thinker? It's all relative. He's positively Einstein compared to most football managers. And most business people I've met.

The most impressive thing though is not the talk. It's the difference in individual and team performances on the pitch. You might put it down to honeymoon, it's easy to do that. I don't think it is, there will be bumps along the way but I think we'll make real progress now.

I thought SoD's notes in Saturday's matchday programme were good - but yesterday's surpassed these. He's clearly an articulate, thoughtful coach who has a workable short-term plan - as well as a sound "philosophy" about how to succeed in what is essentially a simple game...

Just hope that the players have the ears and brains to listen and respond - in the short and long term!

They have quite obviously been listening, two wins, unlucky to not get a point at Leeds and just 2 solitary goals conceded in 3 games.

Delighted with the appointment.

Archived