IGNORED

High Speed Fiber Network For All Of South Glos

Barrs Court Red

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/South-Gloucestershire-Council-announces-new/story-18012001-detail/story.html

Impressive. Does anyone know what this means for the Telewest infrastructure? IF that is open to others then hopefully I can find someone who undercuts the price Virgin are charging me for 20mb.

As far as i know its and upgrade of existing BT infrastructure. Once you get to the outskirts of Bristol in South Glos the speeds are sporadic to say the least.

Not sure how far out into the sticks the Virgin services reaches, but if you live in a rurual area, id say almost certainly if you haven't already got Virgin, with this upgrade coming to existing ADSL lines, i cant imagine they would bother plumbing that area in.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/South-Gloucestershire-Council-announces-new/story-18012001-detail/story.html

Impressive. Does anyone know what this means for the Telewest infrastructure? IF that is open to others then hopefully I can find someone who undercuts the price Virgin are charging me for 20mb.

Your options for fibre are Virgin or BT Infinity. You can find resellers of the latter, but usually they are hooked to something else - eg Sky, Orange, just like BT is usually hooked to buying a phone line too.

I'm paying Virgin £27 a month for 60MB and running a vonage IP phone over it. Our street just got Infinity but the prices are higher because of the phone line.

Hmmm yeah BT and their line rental. Not sure if this new service will need a phone line though. Even so, virgin are charging line rental for their fiber line. I believe I pay £22 a month

Both of them piss me off because the prices they always quote are £COMPETITIVEPRICE (only when you also pay £13 a month for line rental). In other words it's a marketing scam.

With Virgin you can at least opt out of line rental. You pay a bit more for the broadband (why mine's £27) but then you can run an IP phone for half the monthly price and make dirt cheap calls to anywhere in the world so it's usually cheaper to do that - particularly if you have family overseas, run an office from home or just have a missus who can't shut up.

The downsides to Virgin are really shitty customer service, incomprehensible people in call centres, and a relentless glossy paper junkmail machine. BT pull your pants down for engineer visits and although you can understand what the people in the call centre are telling you, chances are you won't like it much. Europe does this so much better than us.

Archived