IGNORED

If A City Player Drove Himself To Another Club

Barrs Court Red

If he scored a bucketload afterwards and put in the sort of effort that the likes of Steady puts in and helped us to promotion, then I think we'd forgive! But probably wouldn't forget.

It would take a momunmental effort from the player to win fans back over, and he would have to take all the stick in the world until he does. Some will never be won over though, that's without a doubt and I don't think you could blame them for taking that stance.

There are lots on here who've said that they'd gladly drive some of their players to another club if it meant that they'd leave!

What happened to Odemwingie was staggering - it felt like watching helicopter pictures of a car chase on American TV. Surely he didn't decide unilaterally to take himself to QPR? His agent must have given him the wrong advice?

Whatever, his bridges with WBA would appear to be well and truly burnt. Supporters around the country will rib him mercilessly wherever he plays. Supporters of WBA will be rightly annoyed and unforgiving although, as we know, we football supporters are a fickle bunch and a couple of goals against a Villa or Chels would quickly heal the wounds.

There are lots on here who've said that they'd gladly drive some of their players to another club if it meant that they'd leave!

What happened to Odemwingie was staggering - it felt like watching helicopter pictures of a car chase on American TV. Surely he didn't decide unilaterally to take himself to QPR? His agent must have given him the wrong advice?

Whatever, his bridges with WBA would appear to be well and truly burnt. Supporters around the country will rib him mercilessly wherever he plays. Supporters of WBA will be rightly annoyed and unforgiving although, as we know, we football supporters are a fickle bunch and a couple of goals against a Villa or Chels would quickly heal the wounds.

Do you mean like this....

******Warning, this does not end well*******

*link removed*

A BCFC player drive them self?, firstly probably end up in a completely different place, who would programme the talky gadget what gives you directions?, who would put the liquid thingy into the hole at the back of the car?, who would wipe their botty's if they needed a number 2? and who would tell where to put the 'x' on the piece of paper legal stuff?.

If a City player came out and said I've got one last contract left in me and for the good of my family and me i going to triple my basic salary i would wish him good luck. A good servant to WBA, he doesn't owe them anything except to earn his wage, which he has done. As for driving to QPR, his interview suggests to me that he has been completely sold up the river and wasn't trying to force anything. Finally, Harry 'Salt of the Sun readers' ******* Redknapp, with his ' i think our wires got crossed bullsh!t. Dont trust the bloke one bit. "What me guv? Not me guv, I can barely read guv, i can't count, what account? Who's dog? My dog? Where am I? Who's Jamie?"

If a City player came out and said I've got one last contract left in me and for the good of my family and me i going to triple my basic salary i would wish him good luck. A good servant to WBA, he doesn't owe them anything except to earn his wage, which he has done. As for driving to QPR, his interview suggests to me that he has been completely sold up the river and wasn't trying to force anything. Finally, Harry 'Salt of the Sun readers' ******* Redknapp, with his ' i think our wires got crossed bullsh!t. Dont trust the bloke one bit. "What me guv? Not me guv, I can barely read guv, i can't count, what account? Who's dog? My dog? Where am I? Who's Jamie?"

The guy has 18 months of a contract to go that he was more than happy to sign, the way he is/has been acting is awful but typical of modern day footballers who believe that a contract only comes into force when it suits them, he has over the past few weeks not only disrespected the club and it's fans, he has yet again given the media and fans alike another reason to believe that football is out of touch with the real world.

If he got his head down and played properly I wouldn't care, but many will.

He's got an opportunity to get a big, big pay rise and an extra couple of years of security so it's understandable. He should have been smarter about it and stayed somewhere five minutes away until he got the all clear but footballers aren't renowned for their brains.

I think Harry Redface has stitched the guy up and told him that they were going to agree a price, and to be nearby to complete a move, and then not paid the price. After paying about 3x as much as he should have for Samba in fee and wages perhaps he ran out of cash.

QPR are going to crash and burn worse than Portsmouth, he's spending a fortune on mediocrity in a panic.

If he got his head down and played properly I wouldn't care, but many will.

He's got an opportunity to get a big, big pay rise and an extra couple of years of security so it's understandable. He should have been smarter about it and stayed somewhere five minutes away until he got the all clear but footballers aren't renowned for their brains.

I think Harry Redface has stitched the guy up and told him that they were going to agree a price, and to be nearby to complete a move, and then not paid the price. After paying about 3x as much as he should have for Samba in fee and wages perhaps he ran out of cash.

QPR are going to crash and burn worse than Portsmouth, he's spending a fortune on mediocrity in a panic.

I suspect it's nothing less than a crass publicity stunt by his agent, that has backfired. However if you are correct about Redknapp's hand in this, surely he would not want to sign for them now would he?, of course he's a footballer and money out ranks morals.

He signed a contract and should value that. Don't wanna do the time, get a shorter deal

I suspect it's nothing less than a crass publicity stunt by his agent, that has backfired. However if you are correct about Redknapp's hand in this, surely he would not want to sign for them now would he?, of course he's a footballer and money out ranks morals.

I don't understand all this morals nonsense. What is everybody so bent out of shape about?

There's not a single person on this forum who would not go to a job interview if they were offered one for a job that paid three times as much. Simple as that. It's not like he was going to leave WBA uncompensated either.

Footballers generally are not fans of the club they play for, they don't have and should not be expected to have any more employer loyalty than you or I might. That is, they should do their best for their employer and other than that they're free to direct their career as they see fit.

All this guy's done wrong is make the mistake of actually showing up at QPR when all the press were outside, that's it and it's minor. I know plenty of people will be outraged because they like being outraged about footballers but it doesn't make any sense really.

I don't understand all this morals nonsense. What is everybody so bent out of shape about?

There's not a single person on this forum who would not go to a job interview if they were offered one for a job that paid three times as much. Simple as that. It's not like he was going to leave WBA uncompensated either.

Footballers generally are not fans of the club they play for, they don't have and should not be expected to have any more employer loyalty than you or I might. That is, they should do their best for their employer and other than that they're free to direct their career as they see fit.

All this guy's done wrong is make the mistake of actually showing up at QPR when all the press were outside, that's it and it's minor. I know plenty of people will be outraged because they like being outraged about footballers but it doesn't make any sense really.

But just for a second imagine the uproar if he was injured, depressed or just playing crap and WBA just cancelled his contract with no compensation, I suppose then suddenly then the player would believe the contract he signed was worth the paper it was written on?.

But just for a second imagine the uproar if he was injured, depressed or just playing crap and WBA just cancelled his contract with no compensation, I suppose then suddenly then the player would believe the contract he signed was worth the paper it was written on?.

Where do you get the idea that the player doesn't believe the contract was worth anything? There is nothing in his contract that says he can't drive to London, or that he or his agent can't talk to other clubs.

Do you think it would be OK if a company fired an employee who went for a job interview elsewhere?

All this nonsense outrage stems from basic jealousy over footballers earnings. It's silly.

I think you miss the point - most people here are free to talk to whoever they want, and if offered a job would generally have to work at least a months notice. Odemwengie is not free to talk to whoever he wants, and has to work out the rest of his contract with his current employer.

If someone was on a 6 month or 12 month contract, then in all liklihood they would not be able to just walk away from their employer and take another job. They would be contracted to their employer, and unless they negotiate a compromise then they are stuck.

What Odemwengie has done is not really comparable to most peoples situations. The guy is a tit, but nothing he has done is probably wrong from his contract, but he certainly hasn't acted in a dignified way. For an average player who is getting old I doubt that having seen this many people will now be coming in with offers for him in the summer.

I would think it's breach of contract, WBA were consulting lawyers last night so I think he maybe getting his P45....

That would then make him a "free agent", I believe.

Harry can then sign him outside of the window, QPR get what they want, player gets what he wants.

As always, player gets what he wants, despite poor advice / acting like a ****.

• Admin

I didn't think that he ACTUALLY spoke to anyone at QPR though?

I read that he was turned away from Loftus Road.

Surely it was his agent who was negotiating, the player was only in the area hoping that he would be given permission to talk to QPR.

In that instance apart from looking a prize idiot, can't see that he has done anything actually wrong (morally maybe)

I think you miss the point - most people here are free to talk to whoever they want, and if offered a job would generally have to work at least a months notice. Odemwengie is not free to talk to whoever he wants, and has to work out the rest of his contract with his current employer.

If someone was on a 6 month or 12 month contract, then in all liklihood they would not be able to just walk away from their employer and take another job. They would be contracted to their employer, and unless they negotiate a compromise then they are stuck.

What Odemwengie has done is not really comparable to most peoples situations. The guy is a tit, but nothing he has done is probably wrong from his contract, but he certainly hasn't acted in a dignified way. For an average player who is getting old I doubt that having seen this many people will now be coming in with offers for him in the summer.

No, I haven't missed the point because none of what you say is actually true.

Nothing about having a contract with a fixed term means that you are stuck, nor does it mean you cannot talk to another potential employer. You cannot sign away inalienable rights in a contract.

You can end a fixed term employment contract at any time, there may or may not be pre-agreed terms for either party to end a contract but that doesn't mean it can't be. Within the bounds of a contract you can do pretty much anything the parties can agree on and even when they don't the restitution would normally be limited by the scope of the contract.

The player was not seeking to end the contract by any means that weren't mutual (you can tell, because he's still there!) in any case so it's not relevant.

The only thing in football that is different is the registration which allows the FA to impose rules on CLUBS, not on players. They are careful not to do that because they'd end up with the registration system being scrapped by the courts.

The outrage here is because for some reason football fans think they can hold football players to higher standards than themselves, and they cannot. Nothing else.

Archived