IGNORED

The Marvin Elliott Anomaly

Fordy62

I said in the match thread that Marv was like a loyal family dog who needs putting down.

I can't quite make up my mind whether I stand by it or not.

He looked completely off the pace, incapable of playing at this level, yet the bizarre thing is that everything he did, he did quite well. And obviously scored.

I think it's fair to say that Marv has me well and truly confused.

Nevertheless, well played Marv.

He was better second half. He can't pass much but he makes up for it a bit with tireless effort and desire. So very useful at corners at BOTH end of the pitch.

To get off a plane on Friday lunchtime after playing about 2am Thursday in Mexico deserves a lot of praise

Jesus i felt nervous evertime the ball went near Marv, think there was a moment in the second half when he wanted about 5 touches in our box while being closed down when he should just have put in row z, he looks totally uncomfortable as a footballer at this level, but he does chip in with very important goals.

I cant dislike him though as he is a loyal servant and his first 2 seasons at City i genuinly have not seen a better footballer in my time as a city supporter, he was immense....he looked like the Patrick Viera of Championship and i will forever hold great memories of him in his pomp....

I know he has had injuries but does anyone think he has also had a severe case of the yips since those first 2 years and totally lost his confidence

Today summed him up perfectly. Put in a shift, got stuck in and scored. On the other hand his passing was poor at times especially one in the first half when it could have cost a goal. The air shot showed his lack of technical ability, but hr never really had that.

He has improved massively undr SOD and if he keeps improving then he has a role to play for us

Amazes me that he has basically come off a plane after playing midweek in Jamaica.

Never lets you down for attitude or effort. Yes we all know his ball play can let him down. But I've never seen the bloke give up, yes he has had poor games, but if he has energy to give, he'll give it.

He's been one of my favourite ever players to pull on a City shirt. True he's not blessed with great technical ability but puts the effort in every game and is fearless in the air. Missed the game today so didn't see his goal but would assume it was a blockbusting header ?

Almost 350 apps already (inc. Millwall) could reach 500 by the time he calls it a day.

He followed up a great performance against Watford with more of the same today, despite an arduous midweek return journey to Mexico. Marv always give 100%.

He's only 28 years old so should be in his prime but you'd be forgiven for thinking he's 32. I don't think he's ever really, fully got over his injury problems. If SO'D can get him fitter, he could prove to be a vital cog in the wheel.

The guy has the heart of a lion. Never gives up, top man.

Absolutely, the guy played in Mexico mid week then flew back for 14 hours to play today.

He isn't the most talented but he's certainly as honest as anyone in the squad and definitely isn't one who will try any harder just because a new man is in charge.

I cant dislike him though as he is a loyal servant and his first 2 seasons at City i genuinly have not seen a better footballer in my time as a city supporter, he was immense....he looked like the Patrick Viera of Championship and i will forever hold great memories of him in his pomp....

Abit exagerated with the quote you have not seen a better footballer in your time supporting the club . Ye he was good because he never stopped trying and still doesn't but he's never been a 'good' footballer , but saying saying that I do like marv and glad he's with us

The anomaly for me is that a man who seems hardly able to walk and seems to be in constant pain can constantly and consistently put himself through it when others are shirking and yet he still attracts criticism from those who should respect him most.

• three days of altitude training
  • 90 minutes of international football at altitude
  • 58 hours to recover - 14 spent travelling and 5 hours lost time to jet lag
  • up for it once again for us - scores vital goal - everywhere at once in the last few minutes (albeit recovering his own mistakes) - and obvious pride in the captaincy

That's Marvin and that's why I love him!

Many people on other threads claim "I can forgive lack of ability, as long as effort and commitment are shown" then people put Marv down for being the epitome of that statement. The bloke gives 100%, always has, always will. He has been through some of our best times in recent history and deserves a bit more respect than he gets from some people.

Top man!

I've given him some stick regarding his lack of technical ability in the past, but this week he had a long trip to South America, played 90 minutes at altitude at 2am on Wednesday morning, got on a very long flight home, arrived at 11am on Friday and declared himself ready to play the following day. He then put in a 100% shift which contributed to a good win. That shows his commitment to the club/team and thats good enough for me. Well done Marv.

Thursday morning! The bloke is a machine.

Archived