IGNORED

Steve Davies Coming Off Yesterday - Nice Touch

balderino

I know there are other threads about him on here, but. I just thought that would add that when he came off yesterday he made a real noticable effort to "Hi five" all of the kids all along the edge of the Williams and Atyeo stands even making an effort to go along up the side of the "A" block of the Atyeo as well, plus signing a few autographs.

All the kids were well chuffed

A very small point I know, but we dont often see footballers visibly doing that these days, i.e. keeping in touch with the kids, so well done Steve Davies for that nice little touch.

Just wish he worked harder on his fitness.

Sometimes in football you can completely **** up a player by trying to change what has made him successful, GJ did it completely with Trundle and Millen and DMC attempted to do it with Pitman. Some strikers work hard for the team and set up goals for their fellow strikers but have a mediocre scoring record ala Stead and some strikers score lot's of goals and offer little else to the team ala Trundle, Pitman, Thorpe, even Lita and great players like Jimmy Greaves, the trick is to sign the sort of striker you want and not one you think you can change into something he will never be (no matter how brilliant a coach you believe yourself to be) strikers like Kevin Phillips are few and far between.

• Admin

Sometimes in football you can completely fuck up a player by trying to change what has made him successful, GJ did it completely with Trundle and Millen and DMC attempted to do it with Pitman. Some strikers work hard for the team and set up goals for their fellow strikers but have a mediocre scoring record ala Stead and some strikers score lot's of goals and offer little else to the team ala Trundle, Pitman, Thorpe, even Lita and great players like Jimmy Greaves, the trick is to sign the sort of striker you want and not one you think you can change into something he will never be (no matter how brilliant a coach you believe yourself to be) strikers like Kevin Phillips are few and far between.

I wouldn't want to change his game, I'd simply want him fitter so he could start most matches and even occasionally last 90 mins. If he met the above objectives I think we'd have a Lambert-style goal return on our hands.

I wouldn't want to change his game, I'd simply want him fitter so he could start most matches and even occasionally last 90 mins. If he met the above objectives I think we'd have a Lambert-style goal return on our hands.

I understand that of course but always minded by be careful what you wish for, I would suspect the DMC approach of freezing him out is/was not the correct approach with Davies, hopefully bit by bit the SOD approach will be the approach that will pay off, it certainly looks more promising so far.

Spotted this and pointed it out myself. I loved that kind of thing when I was a kid. Also want to note that Davies had to boot the ball out into the stands himself to get his sub to happen as no City player was happy to get it out of play to get him off. Seemed a bit pissed off it took so long to get the ball out of play.

SOD is certainly working gradually-and carefully!-towards sharpening up steves fitness..has had his injury problems which have hindered full fitness,so its a case of "slowly slowly catchey monkey" for all concerned.

Archived