IGNORED

Matthew Bates

GrahamC

It does seem a bit strange that we haven’t heard anything more about his future recently.

His contract with us ended almost a month ago now, O’Driscoll said at the time that he was unwell for a week after that, but having been back in training since the end of January I would have thought he would have come to a decision as to whether he is looking to keep him on by now.

Surely the longer this drags on the less likely he is to be staying?

As he is a free agent, and therefore the one in need of a decision more than us, I would think that SOD is looking for someone better in on loan and if he has no joy getting that, then Bates is there as back up and would be glad of another short term contract offer.

Yep, that's what I'd assume.

Shame really, he's a good player when fit and playing alongside someone decent. Wouldn't mind seeing Fontaine, Bates, Nyatanga/Carey + *1 new addition* as ouir CBs next year.

Christ. A month ago everyone wanted Fontaine, Nyatanga and Carey out and now they're suddenly good enough!

Shame really, he's a good player when fit and playing alongside someone decent. Wouldn't mind seeing Fontaine, Bates, Nyatanga/Carey + *1 new addition* as ouir CBs next year.

Wouldn't mind seeing the back of all of them , might keep Bates at a push.

..louis?..for sure hes done well for us,yet again of late but isnt it time to look to the future?would be very suprised to see him offered another playing contract..and Nyatanga?..one swallow doesnt make a summer(even if it can make your evening)..believe SOD will re-vamp the centre of our defence when possible.

some of us still want nyatanga out..actually everyone should want nyatanga out

Indeed.

When he joined I thought his distribution and positioning would improve and let's face it, it hasn't.

With Louis now in the twilight of his career, two CBs are required next season - and I reckon we could do with one on loan ASAP.

As to Bates, well, we've not seen him in training or have any hint as to his state of fitness. I'd say, if he can't get in this team he may as well hang up his boots!

WTH - no seriously they need to go - they have been our CBs for the last few seasons and are not good enough. Fontaine especially. Against Palace, Fontaine did not pick up his man for their first goa, and giving away a free kick they converted for a push central just outside the box instead of collecting/ challenging - . He has been playing like that for far to long - to suddenly say he's worth keeping is not something I hope the majority of fans feel.

I wouldn't want to see any of our current centre halfs (no comment on Bates as if he can stay fit and have a full pre season he may well be an asset) being considered first choice next season. We may not have the option to replace them all but if we stay up none of them will be up to the task fo helping this club become a stable championship club.

Well, at season's end Carey, Nyatanga and Bates will all be out of contract, leaving us with just James Wilson and Fontaine.

It is pretty transparent that S O'D doesn't rate Wilson and as he's 24 next week yet has minimal league experience for us, it is in his best interests to move on this summer.

Fontaine will still be here next season though, I think, as it is unlikely we're ever going to get another Soutthampton sized bid for him and even as I expect we bring in a couple of centre halves this summer he'll be under consideration for a place alongside one of them, much like the Carey, McCombe, Fontaine situation when we went up.

Archived