IGNORED

We Just Need A Centre Back And Striker

miketh2nd

Since bringing Howard in that pretty much means we have enough quality/cover for the midfield for rest of the season. I wasn't at Cardiff but I still don't want to rely on Nytanga with fonts for the rest of the season if carey stays injured or gets injured again.

It's also evident since Taylor is out for the season ( well it seems that way ? ) that when we start with 2 strikers we only have Baldock and Burns. I'd happily play burns a little more but doesn't seem by Sod saying he'd rather let the youngsters go out on loan that he will get played much.

We have missed Baldock a lot since being injured though.

We have more Strikers the the coal miners union. What we need is an Anthony Gerard type CB (ok he made a bad mistake against Wigan today but otherwise quality) and another Neil Danns

+1....the obvious c/half and really need a play maker with an engine in the middle-a Neil Danns or Paul Hartley clone will be fine.

+1....the obvious c/half and really need a play maker with an engine in the middle-a Neil Danns or Paul Hartley clone will be fine.

We've way more central midfielders than strikers. Admittedly some of them aren't great but I can't see the board sanctioning an 8th central midfielder...

Re the strikers, I think it depends if Burns is loaned out to get experience - which makes some sense, though I'd prefer him to be given a chance here. If he is we've only got three strikers and it'd make sense to get someone in - especially if we could get a physical striker who also scores goals...

For me though the priority is a central defender and I think a second central defender would be next on my list....

We've way more central midfielders than strikers. Admittedly some of them aren't great but I can't see the board sanctioning an 8th central midfielder...

Re the strikers, I think it depends if Burns is loaned out to get experience - which makes some sense, though I'd prefer him to be given a chance here. If he is we've only got three strikers and it'd make sense to get someone in - especially if we could get a physical striker who also scores goals...

For me though the priority is a central defender and I think a second central defender would be next on my list....

..for sure-he has been top of the list for a few years now!...I trust SOD to acquire the right man-when possible..!

I kind of understand what the OP means about the strikers.Maybe he thinks we don't have them, but perhaps it's more of a case that they don't have enough goals in them (excluding Davies) or are fit and available enough.(I include Davies in this) Baldock has surely been injured as much as he has played,or does it just seem like that? He does look quite useful when he is fully fit though. And Taylor has had 2 long injury spells in his time here. I get the feeling Albert if he stays will have more of a strikers role.

But on the whole it's obvious the problem isn't with the strikers, but the defence and the midfield not getting the ball to them successfully. The limited bit I saw of Howard yesterday give me hope we have addressed the midfield. Kelly isn't doing it for me. The defence still need major work, Maloney apart, but I think that will happen after the summer.

What's happened to Davies and Stead?

Sorry I meant when we started with the same two strikers Stead and davies, we only have baldock and Burns who is inexperienced from the bench. All we need is one out of the 4 of them to get injured and we have only got 3 strikers as we have had since Baldock has been injured.

Not saying strikers aren't good to but think we need some more cover, I'd defiantly say a CB is the priority .

What we miss is a Shaun Taylor center back, someone who was so confident and commanding that he inspired and lead the other players. Carey can be inspiring, but he's not commanding or confident enough in my eyes to lead the back line.
I think the problem is in every CB pairing there is a leader and a worker, at least in any good pairing and whilst we have plenty of workers we just don't have a leader and so the workers aren't working correctly.

I think in a football team the most important man on the field in a capable team is the center back who leads... Pallister for United in his day led, Vidic is a leader, Kompany is a prime example, Terry, Chiellini for Juve etc... every great team has an outstanding center back, we seem to have a selection of ok ones who are lacking confidence. I was to see a modern Shaun Taylor come into the club as I think it'd make a world of difference, even without another player signed.

The problem against Cardiff was actually not the defence but keeping the ball. OK, the 2nd goal was poor defending but apart from that everyone defended OK and made a real effort to keep it out. Long term though we need someone better than Nyatanga.

Play Howard and Adomah from the start and it should be a lot better in terms of the midfield.

Archived