IGNORED

Last Night's Goals

Harry

I've just had a look at the Extended Highlights on Player and I must say how disappointed I am with the 2 goals we conceded. They stem from a familiar problem we've seen all season long - i.e. midfield players not taking responsibility.

The first one comes from a soft looking foul from Marv. The Palace player catches the ball and quickly places it down, clearly looking for a quick free kick. Marv spends too much time arguing with the ref about the decision, rather than doing one of 2 things ; 1) Get back into position and maybe be in the box to defend the free kick, or 2) Stand in front of the ball to prevent the quick take, allowing our defence to shape-up.

Had any one of our players been switched on and stood in front of the ball (like you see pretty much EVERY other team do), then we wouldn't have conceded the first goal.

The 2nd goal again comes from another innocuous looking free kick, however, if you get the opportunity, watch VERY VERY closely.

As Dobbie strikes the ball, it's direction takes it to the left side of the wall, where Stephen Pearson is standing (note I've used the word 'standing', as opposed to 'forming a wall', because what happens next is deplorable).

Can someone else please look closely at this and tell me if I am seeing things, but what I see is Pearson (who is forming the defensive wall), duck his head and let the ball fly past him to the top corner!!!

I've no idea from the angle whether he would have blocked the shot, but he definitely lowers his head, neck and shoulders in an 'avoiding' motion.

Sorry, I know this may seem like something really small, but I find it shocking!! If you form a wall, you stand there and if the ball hits you full in the face at 90mph then you've done you're job. YOU DO NOT DUCK OUT OF THE WAY!!! You're not exactly a looker Steve so I shouldn't worry about getting your face messed up!

So, 2 goals conceded, and 2 more where I can quite squarely confirm that the midfield did not DO THEIR JOB.

It's getting sickening now.

O'Driz has acknowledged the error for the first goal, as you say someone should have prevented the free kick from being taken quick.

Being 30 yards from it I also think Fonts was at fault. He wasn't exactly leaping like a salmon to get his head on the ball. I reckon he thought the ball was going out or misjudged where Murray was.

Either way i agree, such a poor goal to concede. The free kick, we ALL called it going in! Hard to explain but even being at the other end of the ground you could see where he was going to hit it. It was in an ideal position and executed perfectly.

I don't know about Pearsons involvement in that but what i do know is that generally he is not good enough for Bristol City.

Looks like he did duck - and would not surprise me at all. We heard it from Derby when they were glad we got him, we is a total average, but also uncomitted player. Was okish, not very good, when he was looking for a contract. Since then nothing at all. In games it's as if he purposely avoids getting into space, or running ahead, tracking back, whatever, just in order not to get involved! Total lack of commitment. Looking forward to some footballers (Howard, Kilkenny) to make appearances on Saturday.

Only seen the highlights on Sky. He certainly didn't stand tall or jump at the free kick. 2 poor goals to concede really, shame as the luck was there, Palace had good opprtunites to score but hit the bar and had one disallowed that was marginal.

Just goes to show at this level if you make mistakes your nearly always punished.

O'Driz has acknowledged the error for the first goal, as you say someone should have prevented the free kick from being taken quick.

Being 30 yards from it I also think Fonts was at fault. He wasn't exactly leaping like a salmon to get his head on the ball. I reckon he thought the ball was going out or misjudged where Murray was.

Either way i agree, such a poor goal to concede. The free kick, we ALL called it going in! Hard to explain but even being at the other end of the ground you could see where he was going to hit it. It was in an ideal position and executed perfectly.

I don't know about Pearsons involvement in that but what i do know is that generally he is not good enough for Bristol City.

You could replace our club here with the name of any other Championship or Upper League one club.

It's about passion. As a kid I absolutely loved playing football and would do anything to prevent the opposition scoring, even if we were already 5-0 down. Sometimes it seems professionals don't have that attitude anymore, but luckily lots still do.

Archived