IGNORED

There Were No Positives

where's the joy

watching our boys at palace on tuesday was a sad experience. whatever SOD tells us we were second best against a palace side that never got out of second gear

.........so we conceded our customary 2 goals, hoofed the ball up to stead who tried hard to trap the ball with his neck. surprisingly this tactic did not work

the team had no cutting edge, until burns and davies came on and no person at centre back or in the midfield who could control the ball and pass it to a team mate. bollasie was silky, albert anonymous.

marvin and pearson to play centre back? nyatanga is simply not good enough for the championship.

terry cooper once assembled four players who could score goals and pick them as his two strikers and two wide men. this won us promotion

currently we have to score 3 goals a game to win, especially away from home. unless we pick players who can score we WILL be relegated. it is time to put players who can pass, eg killkenny and howard into the guileless midfield.

we then need to play at the same time, players who can score.....sadly this does not include albert. quickest man on the pitch....burns.

sp please line up stead, davies, burns and when fit baldock and build the team from there

watching our boys at palace on tuesday was a sad experience. whatever SOD tells us we were second best against a palace side that never got out of second gear

.........so we conceded our customary 2 goals, hoofed the ball up to stead who tried hard to trap the ball with his neck. surprisingly this tactic did not work

the team had no cutting edge, until burns and davies came on and no person at centre back or in the midfield who could control the ball and pass it to a team mate. bollasie was silky, albert anonymous.

marvin and pearson to play centre back? nyatanga is simply not good enough for the championship.

terry cooper once assembled four players who could score goals and pick them as his two strikers and two wide men. this won us promotion

currently we have to score 3 goals a game to win, especially away from home. unless we pick players who can score we WILL be relegated. it is time to put players who can pass, eg killkenny and howard into the guileless midfield.

we then need to play at the same time, players who can score.....sadly this does not include albert. quickest man on the pitch....burns.

sp please line up stead, davies, burns and when fit baldock and build the team from there

was the same at Cardiff mate.just hoofing it long..Cardiff were in cruise-control.as you say,no cutting edge to the extent going 1-0 down effectivly ended the game as a contest..and so many on this forum really dont seem to see it..they also dont see that in our situation playing Albert as a starter aint on..squad clearly short on players not good enough at this level if we have Pearson and Nyatanga in the side..lets hope a few changes for saturday..

We've just played two teams at the top of the table and we're clearly not up to their standard with our bunch of free transfers/released players. However, we didn't get thrashed like some teams have recently (eg Huddersfield) - I think this was the main objective listening to SoD, he wanted to make sure we are in a position to get points at the three home games coming up (and the awy match at Blackpool). Let's face it, we were not expecting to get anything from those two fixtures but if we'd been slaughtered the confidence of the team could have been broken, I'm not giving up hope yet

Disagree Palace never got out of second gear. They were in our faces from the off and played high-tempo, attacking football that we simply couldn't deal with. Bottom line is that they are one of the best sides in this league and may well end up winning promotion.

I'm confident Kilkenny and Howard will start on Saturday assuming they are both fit.

As risky a tactic as it is, I believe O'Driscoll is putting all his eggs in one basket and really concentrating on trying to win our home games and try and grind out draws away from home. That seems to be the pattern results/performances are looking so far under his reign...

Disagree Palace never got out of second gear. They were in our faces from the off and played high-tempo, attacking football that we simply couldn't deal with. Bottom line is that they are one of the best sides in this league and may well end up winning promotion.

I'm confident Kilkenny and Howard will start on Saturday assuming they are both fit.

As risky a tactic as it is, I believe O'Driscoll is putting all his eggs in one basket and really concentrating on trying to win our home games and try and grind out draws away from home. That seems to be the pattern results/performances are looking so far under his reign...

I don't think his away form was great at Forest either was it?

I think you have to look a bit deeper into what SOD is trying to do and its obvious, the team Tuesday was much more of a team, they defended together Forster was pathetic but other than that the rest of the team just looked like a solid unit without much forward bite.

I hope that that Team continues to build into something that we can be proud of and with any luck it will add more attacking force over time away. It might be too late to save us from relegation but at least Cardiff and Palace didn't put us to the sword that's what would have happened 2 months ago.

Got to admit I do like the look of burns.

If we are going to pack the midfield we need at least 1 of them who has a eye for a pass and a bit of freedom

to try and create, look how well Anderson did in that role. I like Bobby Reid, confident player with bags of

tricks. Give him a go, not nessesarily fom the start, but lets try something a bit different, plan A is just not working.

So you're advocating the same method as Del, build from the front. Proven to be utter nonsense.

15 points from 12 away games is perfectly acceptable to be honest.

Totally agree 1.25 points per game. If he can do the same from our remaining 6 away games we might just have a chance. If he can back date it to include the 4 he's already lost , we''ll have no problems !!

don't know why we play so defensive away we've got nothing to lose against sides like Palace and Cardiff.

What about confidence?

Right now, O'Driscoll can be telling the players that they played very well away from home against two top sides, only lost each game by a narrow margin of one goal and it could easily have been very different.

If we'd gone and played a more open game we could have been hit for 5 in both games and it'd be much harder to pick the players up for the Barnsley game. Plus our goal difference would be shredded.

don't know why we play so defensive away we've got nothing to lose against sides like Palace and Cardiff.

I guess if we are lucky it may come down to goal difference. So conceding loads would be a problem.

But a defensive mentality when we have kept zero clean sheets away from home all season does seem a little short sighted.

I have posted elsewhere in how i was annoyed at how defensive we were and if we were going to lose we may as well go for it.

However there are positives. We only made our goal difference worst by 2 when we could easily have got tonked. Defensively we were ok against probably the two best attacking teams in the league. Yes we had mistakes, but people are exagerating at how bad Lewin was. Plus we will only get better when Louis gets back.

Also at no time did we completely give up. As bad as the hoof tactics were we kept at it dispite losing goals at key times. Go read the wolves or huddersfield forum..seems their teams just lie dowb when going gets tough.

What about confidence?

Right now, O'Driscoll can be telling the players that they played very well away from home against two top sides, only lost each game by a narrow margin of one goal and it could easily have been very different.

If we'd gone and played a more open game we could have been hit for 5 in both games and it'd be much harder to pick the players up for the Barnsley game. Plus our goal difference would be shredded.

but we didn't play well? we played awful both games and had no attacking threat, we should be confident from our home performances and trying to pick up points away cause were not going to win every home game. I think Barnsley will be as difficult as Palace and Cardiff and personally i'd take a point.

but we didn't play well? we played awful both games and had no attacking threat, we should be confident from our home performances and trying to pick up points away cause were not going to win every home game. I think Barnsley will be as difficult as Palace and Cardiff and personally i'd take a point.

If I were a player I'd be more inclined to believe I was in a good team and had a chance in the next game if we'd just been beaten 2-1 than if we'd been beaten 5-0.

I was agreeing with you right up to the last sentence. Why would you line up with Stead if you want someone who can score?

You mention earlier that he can't control the ball so he doesn't bring that either to the team. I would always start with Baldock (what the hell is wrong with him??) and Davies but would settle for Burns and Davies.

Does anyone seriously think that when the opposition defence see Stead in the line-up that they get worried?

If Burns is in the line up they will think "Who"? And then when he first accelerates past them they will think "By heck, he's a bit quick...this could be a long game".

the point is we need to score 3 goals a game........if you have a better plan, please tell SOD because 'we only just lost' is still a loss.

Stead played well on tuesday given the awful quality of ball launched at him. we never got to the byeline to pull a chance back to him.

he has scored goals for us, but when put in front of a midfield five incapable of passing to each other let alone him you cant blame the lone striker.

still at least there was more fight in the team than under Del.......and we have got some talent in burns and reid........so please set the team up to attack

the point is we need to score 3 goals a game........if you have a better plan, please tell SOD because 'we only just lost' is still a loss.

Stead played well on tuesday given the awful quality of ball launched at him. we never got to the byeline to pull a chance back to him.

he has scored goals for us, but when put in front of a midfield five incapable of passing to each other let alone him you cant blame the lone striker.

still at least there was more fight in the team than under Del.......and we have got some talent in burns and reid........so please set the team up to attack

Come on you are overexaggerating just a little! We didn't need to score 3 to beat Watford or Forest did we, and I bet we won't to be Barnesly either. Remember Cardiff and Palace are quality teams and have beaten much better teams than us by alot.

Thing is with what you are suggesting we will truly need to score 3+ a game! Now I want to see us attack just as much as you, but we still need that discipline and starting with Reid and Burns isn't going to help in that aspect. Yes put in Howard or Kilkenny who have the experience and can pass about, as well as knowing when to sit back and absorb pressure etc like against Forest. For me when Baldock is back he has to play - at least then we will have to pass it along the ground.

Obviously in both of those games our main intention was to remain solid (rightly in my opinion) but I would be stunned if we intended to 'park the bus' quite as much as we ended up doing.

Our inability to win the ball off Cardiff or keep the ball at Selhurst Park meant we were defending for large portions of the game. If you are unable to keep hold of the ball and/or carry a threat it will always lead to you being under pressure for large amounts of the game and this pressure will almost always usually lead to a defensive error or the opposition finally breaking you down with a bit of good play of their own.

If you're never in possesion of the ball you have two options. Defend or don't defend. I think we have all witnessed enough games in which we haven't defended this season, so the improvement in that side of the game in the four away games under SO'D should be noted even if the results haven't improved.

It is obvious that we need to compete more away from home as our defenders are not good enough (who's are?) to defend for the entire match.

Take a point = relegation ?

Archived