IGNORED

Joe's First Game, We Beat Swindle

ashton_fan

After Russel Osman's sacking in 1994 Joe Jordan was appointed for his second term as manager. His first match was against Swindon who'd just been relegated from the Premier League. Both teams were struggling at the foot of the table (and both were relegated at the end of the season) but this game gave City fans something to cheer about other than the newly-built Atyeo stand (which meant there was no money left for players):

http://youtu.be/s3HkYehNHcg

I was there in the Ateyo that very game. Scott Partridge? Blimey no wonder we went down. Did Swindon drop from the Premierleague straight through to the third tier then?

Yes Swindon went down two seasons in a row but the following season they won the second division (now League One) championship so bounced back straight away.

I'd also forgotten about Phil Kite in goal, not sure how many appearances he made for us?

I was in the Ateyo that day. I remember that the score & the return of JJ improved the atmosphere, however it was not a patch on the atmosphere generated during JJ's first spell at the club & was for me the nasty moment I truly realised that seats had killed those days for good.

You didn't happen to be one of the lil piggies taking on Wolfie as well did you?......

Hahaha no, but I do remember getting absolutely covered in mud. Everytime a kick landed on my white suit, a new imprint of someones foot would remain :-)

Another thing I noticed when walking off the pitch was how easy it was to hear people talking to you - basically, all our players will know what we're saying to them.

Weirdly, I think (although I'll need clarification from someone on here) I was doing a Tae-Kwon-Do demonstration on the pitch at half time.

Do you not remember then? Was that due to being off your face on natch to dampen the nerves or eas it due to concussion dished out by a mr van Damme your training partner?

Archived