IGNORED

Do We Need Another Striker

riddlesdown red

Just saw Mboro have signed amoebi and wondered whether we will see a forward coming in to support stead and Davies. With Taylor and baldock missing recently it has left us a bit short up front. I appreciate another wage might be an issue but its only 3months and well worth the gamble of keeping us up. Was hoping sod would raid former clubs for a striker.

Burns and Albert played through the middle provide back-up. Would have been interesting to see if SO'D would have used and got the best out of Pitman but the work-rate of Stead and real premiership quality finishing instincts of Davies look to be a force played together if they stay fit. There has to be back-up though of course. It would be hard if not physically impossible for Stead to put in a Tuesday and Saturday shift to the same level that he gave on Saturday. He played with real pride, determination and single-minded commitment. If he can contribute to the same level in a decent proportion of the remaining games he will be instrumental in helping us stay up and galvanise the rest of the team.

Burns and Albert played through the middle provide back-up. Would have been interesting to see if SO'D would have used and got the best out of Pitman but the work-rate of Stead and real premiership quality finishing instincts of Davies look to be a force played together if they stay fit. There has to be back-up though of course. It would be hard if not physically impossible for Stead to put in a Tuesday and Saturday shift to the same level that he gave on Saturday. He played with real pride, determination and single-minded commitment. If he can contribute to the same level in a decent proportion of the remaining games he will be instrumental in helping us stay up and galvanise the rest of the team.

Premier league? Ha.

NO. PRIORITY FOR A NUMBER OF SEASONS HAS BEEN A CENTRE HALF . We got away with it last season but, we are in the mess we're in because we NEED a CENTRE HALF. Just look at the table then look at the stats. Then see how many teams in the entire footbal league have conceeded more goals than this defence. Ring a bell ? CENTRE HALF-END OF..........

Premier league? Ha.

Re. Davies, I said he had a premier league quality to his finishing and I stand by that completely. The way he despatched that incorrectly disallowed goal wasn't a one off and is a prime example of what I was saying. He's got a cultured left foot with that touch of finesse that wouldn't desert him in any league and a cracking goals per game ratio. His fitness is another matter and if that issue was overcome then SO"D himself said Davies can go as far as he wants to in the game. SO'D seems to be a good man manager and SD lasted the 90 minutes well on saturday. Ultimately the fitness and lifestyle factor is down to the player and his desire and self discipline but I reckon SO'D will get the best out of Davies.

I'm not completely won over by Baldock by any means and rate Davies as the classier striker and better partner for Stead. I detected a bit of whinging in an interview when he felt he was too isolated in one game under SO'D and I'm not convinced he has the team ethos and, although Baldock is a better athlete, I think Pitman is a much more clinical finisher. Maybe it's been injuries and a lack of a run in the side that explains why we haven't seen the best of him.

Re. Davies, I said he had a premier league quality to his finishing and I stand by that completely. The way he despatched that incorrectly disallowed goal wasn't a one off and is a prime example of what I was saying. He's got a cultured left foot with that touch of finesse that wouldn't desert him in any league and a cracking goals per game ratio. His fitness is another matter and if that issue was overcome then SO"D himself said Davies can go as far as he wants to in the game. SO'D seems to be a good man manager and SD lasted the 90 minutes well on saturday. Ultimately the fitness and lifestyle factor is down to the player and his desire and self discipline but I reckon SO'D will get the best out of Davies.

Equally though the miss that resulted in the corner that he scored from was almost league 1...

Sporadic player, would back him to score from 18 yards or more every time. From closer I'm not so sure and would rather have Baldock on the end of it.

He's twice the player pitman was though :)

Equally though the miss that resulted in the corner that he scored from was almost league 1...

Sporadic player, would back him to score from 18 yards or more every time. From closer I'm not so sure and would rather have Baldock on the end of it.

I think he had his shirt pulled then, Jord. He seemed to jump up when the ball came to him on the ground. Those tykes eh? just couldn't wait to change into the red shirts!!

What I love about Davies is that when he really gets behind the ball, no way are you going to stop the goal even if you get a hand to it. He has an even more powerful kick than Pitman - who was no slouch - and threatens to bring the woodwork down when he hits it. No hesitation. Boosh, it's in at 150mph.

I agree on the davies comment to be honest he isn't even fully fit and oozes quility, remember people said Lambert wouldn't make it at this level 2 years ago and now he's the top english goal scorer in the prem

I think he had his shirt pulled then, Jord. He seemed to jump up when the ball came to him on the ground. Those tykes eh? just couldn't wait to change into the red shirts!!

What I love about Davies is that when he really gets behind the ball, no way are you going to stop the goal even if you get a hand to it. He has an even more powerful kick than Pitman - who was no slouch - and threatens to bring the woodwork down when he hits it. No hesitation. Boosh, it's in at 150mph.

Yep, he's a very good player. He has some faults, goes missing for long periods and doesn't effect the game much when not on song, but he's pretty good in the air and has a goal in him at any given minute.

He's a massive improvement on Pitman and I think he compliments both his potential partners well in Stead and Baldock. Taylor compliments Baldock too, so we have a decent set of partnerships for different sorts of games, which is a pleasant change!

Also, whilst I thought the miss was terrible, the way he anticipated the back pass and moved into the right space was excellent!

It'll be great to have Baldock back to come in to those sorts of situations and might force Steady and Davo to keep up their goal scoring form :)

It's a shame that much of this positive stuff in our squad will be lost should we go down, it's a shame Del couldn't harness the abilities in his squad of players. He bought well, clearly.

Archived